Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 6
 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook like button
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Thank you salamanda :thumbs_up:

That's exactly what I meant to say.... 8) and why I don't want the Facebook like button.

Facebook missuses our info(personal and friends), posts and pictures :evil:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:19 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
In my own defense, I'm also not mad about it so please don't shoot me. :lol:

Nothing gets shared on FaceBook. The posts, pictures and all stays on forum, just a link to the topic on forum is shared on FaceBook. Much the same as members posting links to Trip Reports and various other topics on FaceBook.

This was done manually before and now the like button is just an easier, more direct way.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

JenB wrote:
In my own defense, I'm also not mad about it so please don't shoot me. :lol:

Nothing gets shared on FaceBook. The posts, pictures and all stays on forum, just a link to the topic on forum is shared on FaceBook. Much the same as members posting links to Trip Reports and various other topics on FaceBook.

This was done manually before and now the like button is just an easier, more direct way.

JenB I understand what you are saying but please read this bit from my previous post
Quote:
It shares valuable audience data with Facebook -- gratis. Many publishers (if not most) share important information about their users with third parties. The problem: they often get the short end of the stick. That's arguably the case with the Like button. By placing it on their sites, publishers are sharing potentially valuable information about their audiences with Facebook, a company that has its big ambitions and a spotty track record when it comes to privacy.

Scammers like it. Scammers are already liking the Like button, as evidenced by a new worm Facebook worm that uses a malicious Like button to spread. If Like buttons become associated with worms, phishing scams and the like (no pun intended), it's possible that some users will lose trust in them, defeating their utility and reducing their value to publishers.

This really contradicts the idea that just by having a Facebook button on your page you are not harming anyone or any site . . . .

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:07 pm 

I cannot comment on it being harmful in that way or not salamanda.

I was responding to this comment:
Quote:
I normally keep my photo's away from such sites as I know that people have copied and used a lot of photographers photo's.

Pics and such don't automatically become FB property if a topic link is shared, does it? :?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
JenB wrote:
Pics and such don't automatically become FB property if a topic link is shared, does it? :?

As soon as you post something on Facebook it becomes property of Facebook....

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

From Facebook terms of use:

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

and:

Special Provisions Applicable to Social Plugins

If you include our Social Plugins, such as the Share or Like buttons on your website, the following additional terms apply to you:

We give you permission to use Facebook's Social Plugins so that users can post links or content from your website on Facebook.

You give us permission to use and allow others to use such links and content on Facebook.

You will not place a Social Plugin on any page containing content that would violate this Statement if posted on Facebook.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:22 pm 

Oh...? :?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Every time you hit the Like button on any of these posts Facebook is being sent information.

What information does Facebook get when I visit a site with the Like button or another social plugin?
If you’re logged into Facebook and visit a website with the Like button or another social plugin, your browser sends us information about your visit. Keep in mind that Facebook isn't retrieving this information. Since the Like button is a little piece of Facebook embedded on another website, the browser is sending information about the request to load Facebook content on that page.

We record some of this information for a limited amount of time to help show you a personalized experience on that site and to improve our products. For example, when you go to a website with a Like button, we need to know who you are in order to show you what your Facebook friends have liked on that site. The data we receive includes your user ID, the website you're visiting, the date and time and other browser-related information.

There's more here: https://www.facebook.com/help/186325668085084

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
thank you Sal :thumbs_up:
and vinkie and threedogs :thumbs_up:

never post anything like phone nr, holiday and your right profil... we are followed everywhere :?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

anne-marie wrote:
thank you Sal :thumbs_up:
and vinkie and threedogs :thumbs_up:

never post anything like phone nr, holiday and your right profil... we are followed everywhere :?

You are so right anne-marie! That is what is annoying me - that our privacy is compromised just for being on the site. And we didn't get to input on this . . . .

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I support everything that salamanda, threedogs and vinkie have said in OPPOSITION to the placement of a FB "like" button on all posts. I specifically object to its being placed on any of my posts as I was not aware that participating on the forum obligated me to participate in any way on Facebook. This gives NO benefit IMO to members but rather takes advantage of us as individuals.

Perhaps for members who like the "like" button feature, it can be an option that they can include on their posts, just as some (often excessively) include smilies. That way, those of us who do not wish to like or be liked can opt out.

Presently, SANParks is giving us no choice. :twisted: :roll: :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:19 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hear,hear Arks! Fully agree with your statement. Also not at all happy with having a Like button suddenly appearing on posts. Don't like to be "Liked" or whatever...............

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:17 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
I support everything that salamanda, threedogs and vinkie have said in OPPOSITION to the placement of a FB "like" button on all posts. I specifically object to its being placed on any of my posts as I was not aware that participating on the forum obligated me to participate in any way on Facebook. This gives NO benefit IMO to members but rather takes advantage of us as individuals.

Perhaps for members who like the "like" button feature, it can be an option that they can include on their posts, just as some (often excessively) include smilies. That way, those of us who do not wish to like or be liked can opt out.

Presently, SANParks is giving us no choice. :twisted: :roll: :sniper:

I fully second arks' post.

Mobile Webcam Project: Done!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I don't have a Like button on my forum page, and I would have liked to Like all of the above posts :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

i 100% agree with Ark's statement.

I am against hotels in KNP

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next