Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 6
 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook like button
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

JenB wrote:
A while back some members asked for a like button. :hmz:
See here.
these posts are from 2 years ago... now all is so different :?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:40 am 

Hmmmmm... not sure if being in then bush is interfering this morning but there are 2 likes of mine from yesterday on my profile you can check out.

This is a website open to the public, anyone can link to it, to posts on the forums, and I sure do without us even knowing. The like button is just a short cut to facebook really. Most websites have it and it has been an option on the front page for ages. And at leadt you can see how many have shared the link this way.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Stampajane wrote:
I think a like button next to each post is a great idea enabling you to indicate if you like a particular post or photo without having to comment on it.
However not a Facebook like button, just a SANParks like button.

But you can do this anyway with :thumbs_up:

Social media sites are all very well, but I don't like the way they are being allowed to infiltrate so many aspects of our lives. SANParks forum was just that. For SANParks - loving people. (Relatively) peaceful, and away from the (often ugly) social media sites. It is being imposed upon us whether we like it or not. I'm not happy with that.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:04 am 

I agree with salamanda that it is being imposed on us. I normally keep my photo's away from such sites as I know that people have copied and used a lot of photographers photo's.

I think it should be up to the author of the thread if they would like a button on that thread or not and not sanparks

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I couldn't find your link DB so I did one of my own. I deliberately chose one from the Forum Indaba which is for registered members only.

When I clicked on the link to one post, I discovered that I apparently liked every post on the page, which is not correct. When I went to my FB page and clicked on the link there it went straight through to the page that I had 'liked" (no, it was only the post I liked). Does that mean that anyone can now get into the Indaba page? The link on my FB page said that I like the SANParks Forum so I guess that this whole thing is an advertising gimmick relying on the click to like mentality . . . . Having done this, I still don't like it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I just did the same to test for myself. Like a Forum Indaba comment. Post to Facebook. Entire thread visible to everyone you share with. :doh:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:47 am 

Salamanda and Threedogs, were you still logged onto the forums when testing ?
Someone/people you share with, might not be able open your link if not registered members and logged in ?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Salamanda, I know you can give a thumbs up, but I quite often will spend time over the weekend catching up on trip repots, so it's often stuff which was posted days or even weeks earlier and several pages have been turned since. It would be nice just to register my appreciation next to that particular post.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

MATTHYS wrote:
Someone/people you share with, might not be able open your link if not registered members and logged in ?

Hi Matthys: I tried it both ways. This was only in the Indaba forum. If I was not logged in, i went to the usual notice asking you to register. I guess that with the rest of the site you will be taken to the thread.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

MATTHYS wrote:

You're right. My partner tried it without being logged in to Sanparks and it just took him to the Sanparks login page. When he logged in the FB link took him took the thread. So I guess the FB Like button is just default set to appear on every single comment regardless of whether it actually allows access or not. :hmz:

It just feels intrusive and I'm not keen on it at all. :(

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:09 am 

Thank you both, Salamanda and Threedogs :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

threedogs wrote:

You're right. My partner tried it without being logged in to Sanparks and it just took him to the Sanparks login page. When he logged in the FB link took him took the thread. So I guess the FB Like button is just default set to appear on every single comment regardless of whether it actually allows access or not. :hmz:

It just feels intrusive and I'm not keen on it at all. :(

Was this also when you liked a page in the Indaba forum, or was it somewhere else threedogs? I agree that it. feels very intrusive. As SANParks already has a FB page, I'm not sure why they want to impose this on the forum. There is such a thing as overkill . . . .

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
I have read the previous posts.

I know that we wanted a like button so that we could like certain pictures on the SANParks Forum, but we didn't ask for a Facebook like button.

I don't want my posts or pictures to be shared on Facebook without my knowledge(the pictures are © copyrighted). :naughty:

Facebook has a policy that everything you put on Facebook they may use non-commercially and commercially.
:evil:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I was under the impression that the like button discussed earlier would leave a number of likes on a post, instead of everyone doing a :thumbs_up: , the thumbs up means extra posts, where the like would appear on the post.

This like button is not for me. This is just using members to drive traffic to the SANParks site and trying to say the forum members asked for a like button, the reason this like button is here is not because forum members asked for one, this is pure marketing and trying to increase reach.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

From HERE The bold in the quote is mine.

Quote:

If the numbers are any indication, publishers really like Facebook's new Like button. But should they?

For obvious reasons, Facebook is attractive to publishers, and it wants to keep it that way. It provides publishers with plenty of tools that they can use to bring Facebook-driven experiences to their websites. The Like button is one of the newest offerings for publishers but there are several reasons publishers may want to think twice about putting it on their pages.

It isn't guaranteed to work. This week, Facebook Like buttons around the web stopped working, a reminder to publishers that they have no ability to control third party scripts that they embed on their websites. In this case, the harm was minimal, but as we've seen before, third party scripts can become huge liabilities.

It shares valuable audience data with Facebook -- gratis. Many publishers (if not most) share important information about their users with third parties. The problem: they often get the short end of the stick. That's arguably the case with the Like button. By placing it on their sites, publishers are sharing potentially valuable information about their audiences with Facebook, a company that has its big ambitions and a spotty track record when it comes to privacy.

Scammers like it. Scammers are already liking the Like button, as evidenced by a new worm Facebook worm that uses a malicious Like button to spread. If Like buttons become associated with worms, phishing scams and the like (no pun intended), it's possible that some users will lose trust in them, defeating their utility and reducing their value to publishers.

It promotes Facebook. There is no doubt that Facebook is something that publishers shouldn't simply ignore. The social web potentially offers a lot to publishers, and the social network is arguably the most important player on the social web. But by adding widgets or plugins to their sites, publishers are promoting the Facebook brand at no cost. That may not be such a bad thing if they're getting enough value out of it, but the problem is that most publishers don't assess the value of adding these things in the first place.

You can enable Facebook sharing without it. Giving your users the ability to share your content on Facebook does have value, and thanks to Facebook's Share functionality, you can give them this ability without embedding any third party code on your pages.

In short, while there may be plenty to like about Facebook's Like button, there's also a lot to dislike. Publishers interested in tapping into all that the site offers them should not push strategy and pragmatic considerations aside simply because Facebook might be the best thing since sliced bread. When it comes to the Like button, liking isn't enough. Instead, publishers should ask "Is this something that I can really love?"

Oh, and you might like to look at THIS too.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next