Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Identification Help – Tuskers
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It would seem that yet another forumite initiative is being slapped down by SANParks beaurocracy :twisted:

Aat has spent years developing his Tuskers of Africa and it was my understanding that he had closely collaborated with various SANParks personnel in developing his wholly voluntary project. Is all his hard work to be thus devalued? :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:17 pm 

:big_eyes: arks was thinking the same thing :hmz: intresting :evil:

Post subject: SANParks calls for participation in Emerging Tuskers Project
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:41 pm 
Guru
Guru

South African National Parks (SANParks) calls on the public to participate in the Emerging Tuskers Project based in the Letaba Elephant Museum in the Kruger National Park (KNP).

According to Kirsty Redman, Kruger National Parks Interpretive Officer, there has been confusion out there where private individuals have in some cases incorrectly identified and given names to elephants not officially deemed as Tuskers in the KNP. “This has often weakened the value of the existing database of information on Tuskers.”

She says it is critical that care is taken in the correct identification and naming of existing and emerging Tuskers as this will add value to SANParks' research projects on Tuskers and related studies. “Having said that, it is key to note that SANParks is the only official authority in the naming and identification of Tuskers from the KNP.”

According to Redman the KNP is one of the few areas in Southern Africa where large Tuskers can still be found. The Tuskers of Kruger have been an attraction for visitors since the launch of the Magnificent 7 promotion in 1980.

Redman says it is against this background that SANParks calls members of the public to assist in contributing to the existing database and in the identification of the emerging Tuskers in the park by submitting images to the organisation through the Tuskers project and not any other entity.

She says there is a multipronged purpose for the Tusker Project and this varies from identifying and cataloguing the current large and emerging Tuskers of the KNP through photographic material, to gaining an idea of these animals' home ranges and distribution through sightings, as well as maintaining the information collected through the display at the museum in Letaba and on the SANParks website.

All the information relating to the emerging Tuskers project including photo and information pages on the Magnificent 7, Past Tuskers, Tuskers presumed deceased (named bulls that have not been seen for more than 10 years but for whom no carcass has been found); Female Tuskers and Current Emerging Tuskers can be found on the SANParks website with the link: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/el ... efault.php

The website is updated regularly and is accurate to date for the Emerging Tuskers named and recognised by SANParks.

Those wanting to add their sightings to the database can submit images to tuskers@sanparks.org. Alternatively, those wanting identification or confirmation that their sighting qualifies as a Tusker can email kirsty.redman@sanparks.org.

Issued by:
South African National Parks (SANParks) Corporate Communications
Tel: 012 426 5170

Enquiries:
Reynold “Rey” Thakhuli
SANParks Acting Head of Communication
Tel: 012 426 5203; Cell: 073 373 4999
Email: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org

Gabrielle “Gabby” Venter
SANParks Manager: Media and Stakeholder Relations
Tel: 012 426 5065; Cell: 083 825 9435
Email: gabrielle.venter@sanparks.org

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

SANParks wrote:
arks wrote:
Aat has spent years developing his Tuskers of Africa and it was my understanding that he had closely collaborated with various SANParks personnel in developing his wholly voluntary project. Is all his hard work to be thus devalued? :twisted:

Dear Arks,

You have been misguided and misinformed.

Best wishes,

Do you care to clarify that statement, Nedret? It would be nice to have some explanation ............. :whistle:

Whatever the underlying politics here, there seems to be little appreciation of the enormous amount of valuable work that Aat has done. If SANParks now wishes to take over, at least Aat's efforts should IMO receive some positive acknowledgement as his project has brought great value and interest to the forum for many years.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:56 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
oups Aat :doh: I'm realy :evil:

but be sure, I will still use your so well done list/data base :k

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:57 pm 

I fear an injustice is being done here and I for one as a supporter of both SANParks and Aat and his work over the years on the Tuskers website think an explanation is deserved. I think that explanation should be shared with contributors and readers of this forum. I would certainly appreciate one.

I realise SANParks staff are very busy at the moment with recovery from recent floods and the ongoing threat of poaching but that doesn't prevent work being undertaken in a competent and professional manner.

I just visited the Emerging Tuskers section of the SANParks website and this is what I found at the link below:

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/el ... roject.php

Clearly stated:

**Please note that the competition is currently on hold, but please continue to send through your photos and videos. **

The links on this page don't work either.

Also there is no reference in the links or recommended reading of what I believe to be the most recent study of Elephant Management In South Africa. 'Elephant Management: A Scientific Assessment for South Africa' Wits University Press 2008 http://www.elephantassessment.co.za/ Why?

I am of the opinion that SANParks have acted hastily for reasons that are unclear and that a serious injustice is being done. Come on SANParks you can do better than this! As things stand I contribute to Aats Tuskers website but feel I am unlikely to do so directly to SANParks. This change in rules just doesn't feel right.

Post subject: Re: SANParks calls for participation in Emerging Tuskers Pro
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:22 pm 

Lesego,

The website pages for Elephants and Tuskers in KNP are not regularly updated. There are many broken links and missing web pages. I think it is very poor that SANParks publish a media release without checking the resources referenced actually work.

I suggest the relevant pages are checked and updated ASAP. I can provide you with details of the broken links I have found. Please PM me if you want the details.

Adrian

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:28 pm 

Hi AdrianFW

If you will please email me the list, I will send it onto the techie to check.

I will PM you my email address.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The attitude of SANPARKS appears in blatant violation of the "Freedom of speech" clause in the South African Consttution. . . . . .

The SANPARKS' tusker related effort is a poor attempt to grow my interest in tuskers.

My interest in tuskers is vastly more important to me than SANPARKS politics and I will therefor continue to communicate to tuskerites with reference to Aat's private list of elephants with big tusks and using his naming.

It is like my dog that is named Kirby, if some-one else wants to refer to him as "Noisy dog", its fine with me.
I won't go confront him because he did not refer to my dog as Kirby !

So, if you want to refer to an elephant as Mashashule and I happen to refer to the same elephant as "Langtand", what does it matter ?

Post subject: Sanparks new rules -- so sad...!
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I love Sanparks, and check your sight every day for the latest news on my favourite hobby -- wildlife.

Especially tuskers.
And Leopards

So much information volunteered by so many friends of the giants of Kruger.
For years, forumites have done us all a huge favour by meticulously collecting material that should be of extreme value to all who love elephants or do research on the tuskers.

Now this:
Quote:
Dear forumites,

Please note that the rules have been amended, and the new rule states:
Quote:
28. It is prohibited for members to start research/naming topics on species. Such projects may only be conducted with the approval of SANParks Interpretive Officers. For services relating to tuskers naming and identification, refer to the tuskers project website.

Best wishes,

And this: LOCKED...

People give of their time to gather information because the official Sanparks emerging tuskers movement has been on and off, more off than on, and even Letaba museum has not always kept up with the latest knowledge on tuskers. Suddenly it is illegal to collect valuable information from excited forumites.

Question: Why not work WITH people like Aat (elephants) and Astromat (Kgalagadi leopards) instead of just giving them a goold old "klap" in the face like this?

I feel sick.

Friedrich von Hörsten

Post subject: Re: Sanparks new rules -- so sad...!
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This attitude of SANPARKS appears in blatant violation of the "Freedom of speech" clause in the South African Consttution. . . . . .

The SANPARKS' tusker related effort is a poor attempt to grow my interest in tuskers.

My interest in tuskers is vastly more important to me than SANPARKS politics and I will therefor continue to communicate to tuskerites with reference to Aat's private list of elephants with big tusks and using his naming.

It is like my dog that is named Kirby, if some-one else wants to refer to him as "Noisy dog", its fine with me.
I won't go confront him because he did not refer to my dog as Kirby !

So, if you want to refer to an elephant as Mashashule and I happen to refer to the same elephant as "Langtand", what does it matter ?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wanting to suppress Aat's great work AND wanting
me to support "Emerging Tuskers Project" - really ? !

Post subject: Re: Sanparks new rules -- so sad...!
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

What I don't get is the public slap in the face?

Of course, I have no idea what has been discussed behind the scenes and maybe all was civilly discussed with the involved people. But if that's the case - why is it conveyed in a way that it appears that people are informed via announcements on the forum that their hard work is not wanted (anymore). No sign of appreciation and / or any kind of acknowledgement for the tremendous and passionate work that has been done by 'outside' people. And not for the first time either.

A successful way to drive more and more people away...

Mobile Webcam Project: Done!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Aat,

Thanks for updating your Tusker ID documents (North, Central and South) - sure it will be of great help for those camera hunting the big ones !

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:51 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I was just informed about this and was reading the Sanparks information.

and you known? I must laugh...laugh and laugh.... just something I expected for a long time.

Sanparks was since 2010 not able to announce 1 more new tusker. They have not been able to have staff informed through the park about Tuskers at all.

I would say Sanparks.... go ahead this way, chasing many people away from this forum thread. The most popular thread among all Mammals , giving much pleasure to people with ID'ing Tuskers. I think I can say that this thread including the tusker site made many people aware of tuskers.

There is another thing in life.... that has to do with respect !!
No respect from Sanparks over the years but just showing jealousy.

Facts: Letaba hall is outdated, people are not familiar with knowledge about the tuskers , tuskers who died years ago still on lists and / or on pages about the tuskers. There is NO tusker competition for several years but still mentioning it.

Congrats Sanparks !! I am very very disappointed in you like so many are !!
But...you never listen to these people , just doing your thing .... enjoy....

I move with all I have and can do to another site, well known by most tuskermites already.

BYEeeeeeeee

To my tuskerfriends , I will inform you by PM if you like to known where we meet again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next