Skip to Content

drinking trough at Satara and Nossob

Tell us what we can do better, need to clear the air, voice your concern or provide feedback about the forum
Ben du Toit

drinking trough at Satara and Nossob

Unread postby Ben du Toit » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:19 pm

( i ) Specially on behalf of the tortoise that frequently visited the drinking trough at Satara, I would like to know if there is a reason for keeping the water level so low after it was cleaned out in May 2015. The tortoise visited the trough afterwards but then had to walk away without a drink. I haven't seen it again since then.
Even the impalas, blue wildebeests and zebras find it difficult to drink at this low level. To reach the water the impalas drink like giraffes with spread front legs, most of the wildebeests kneel down and the zebras stand on one front leg with the other one bent.
( ii ) The usual water level at Nossob also seems to be too low for the turtle doves that use the trough, especially if there is a flock of 150+ of them. Perhaps, if smaller stones could be placed in the water instead of the big ones it could also help them a lot.

Re: drinking trough at Satara and Nossob

Unread postby MATTHYS » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:36 pm

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your concern and the alert, Ben du Toit.
aquila non capit muscas

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: drinking trough at Satara and Nossob

Unread postby raychi » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:32 pm

Good day all,

My apologies for late responses.

I have addressed the issues with our maintenance guys at the park levels to go have a look and assist were possible.

Thank you for your continued support.

Best Regards,
Rachel Padima

Junior Web Developer
Communications: E-Business Division
South African National Parks
Pretoria, South Africa
T: +27-(0)12-426-5316
Happiness is a Journey not a Destination.

Return to “Chill Room ”