Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 6 of 12
 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next

Should the names of people banned be made public on the forums?
Poll ended at Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:32 pm
Yes 63%  63%  [ 57 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 90
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Problem is that is not one infringement but a series of transgressions leading to the ban. Publishing the final decision without the history leading to the final step would cast an unfair light on the action.

Time has come to accept that a mod's decision is final, deal with it and move on or out :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sparks wrote:
As it has been said over and over any action by the mods is a team decision, not a single person on the rampage. There seems to be a culture of questioning the mod's decisions and arguing and even taking on mods for applying the rules, "Moderators request for civil members! " is sad or worse it is a disgrace.

The constant whining and blubbering is more suited to a site like Hello Peter where bitching and moaning is in the order of the day, this forum should be one to share our common interest in nature, to enjoy other's experiences and to learn from the wealth of knowledge available. I wholeheartedly agree with Pumbaa.

Pumbaa wrote:
............. there are rules - as everywhere in life - to which you have to stick :thumbs_up:

More good old fashioned straight talk. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi guys, please keep it "on-topic"! :twisted:

DB asked whether the names of members banned should be made public or not...please respect that! :naughty: :twisted:

If not, you may just receive a warning! :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

One of the reasons that I think this is a good idea, we have seen many times in the heated threads where mites have pronounced they have received warnings or that they are close to being banned. We have also seen mites moan about members being banned and the moderators motifs being questioned.

I voted yes for this, it creates transparency in my opinion. We are all for transparency in SANParks, right? I don't like reading posts from members that are friends of mites that have been banned fuelling the flames and creating confusion on what has happened and bringing the mods decision into question. If you can see who has been banned and what the reason was then there is no need for discussion. These decisions aren't made lightly and they aren't very frequent.

Regarding the question on whether there would be discussion about a decision if we know someone has been banned, it is happening already without everyone knowing who has been banned. News travels between mites and it does get onto the forum. This way we will know the reason why a decision was made.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sparks wrote:
Time has come to accept that a mod's decision is final, deal with it and move on or out :twisted:

:clap:

Yes, let the mods get back to giving attention to the whole forum and all the other members needing help etc, not just the few who demand so much of their time and attention.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Weltenman wrote:
................... we have seen many times in the heated threads where mites have pronounced they have received warnings or that they are close to being banned. We have also seen mites moan about members being banned and the moderators motifs being questioned.

My point exactly, the mod team decisions should not be questioned, and I emphasise the word team

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Someone said somewhere that there should be a panel made up of mods and mites. Maybe such a panel would be great to look into cases where banned members want to appeal against their banning!? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Weltenman wrote:
If you can see who has been banned and what the reason was then there is no need for discussion.

Hi Weltenman,

interesting post :thumbs_up:

:hmz: I think the ban list does not contribute to transparency about the reason for banning a member, as we will see only the rule that was broken and not the transgression itself (a post etc). Transparency would mean we could see the whole series of posts, warnings etc. :hmz: Anything else will create more confusion and questioning the decision. :shock:
I can not see the large benefit of knowing who was banned :? .

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

TheunsH wrote:
Someone said somewhere that there should be a panel made up of mods and mites. Maybe such a panel would be great to look into cases where banned members want to appeal against their banning!? :hmz:

I don't see this working as people will have pre-conceived ideas of other forumites, especially if they haven't met them or have met them. That is why for a jury in the USA they ask if anyone has had contact with the victims or the accused. I think the current way it is decided, with the 7 or now 8 mods making a decision together and all have to agree works best. We as a forum community is too small to have our own jury's to decide on matters like these.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Toko wrote:
Hi Weltenman,

interesting post :thumbs_up:

:hmz: I think the ban list does not contribute to transparency about the reason for banning a member, as we will see only the rule that was broken and not the transgression itself (a post etc). Transparency would mean we could see the whole series of posts, warnings etc. :hmz: Anything else will create more confusion and questioning the decision. :shock:
I can not see the large benefit of knowing who was banned :? .

True, but the reason they are banned would be for breaking the rules, can't have the posts for everyone to see as that would be against the rules. :?

I just feel it is better to see if someone has been banned, when it happened and what the final transgression (rule number) was. Everyone should know, looking at which rule was the final one, if this was serial offences where the mite refused to change his way of posting, or if it was a once off despicable act that will not be condoned.

I don't want to see the real name of the person, nor do I want to read the posts that lead to the banning as this would just add more attention to what might be an already attention seeking act. Not a name and shame, more like a final act of goodbye from the forum.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

TheunsH wrote:

TheunsH, there already is a panel of 8 people. Another panel of would only create confusion. After all we are talking about very simple rules here. It doesn't require a great legal mind to interpret these rules. I would think most high school kids wouldn't have any difficulty understanding them.

Our whole society is governed by a great amount of rules, some very complex and difficult to understand, and yet most of us manage to live without breaking them.

Of the large number of members who make thousands of posts here, it is only a very small percentage who ever receive warnings. Surely this is proof enough that these rules are very easy to understand and adhere to. One can't help thinking that the reality is that there is always a small amount of people in any large grouping that finds it difficult to accept authority.

The rules also include the webmasters address for those who want to appeal.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:09 pm 

I am looking at the poll figures and cannot help to wonder that voting over 2-3 days, only 70 votes are counted. I am not sure how many forumites are registered. There is still 13 days of voting left and at this rate we might reach 800 votes.

If we are 20,000 registered mites then the interest on this thread appears to be only be .04%.

Some arithmetic information to keep myself busy. :hmz:

Skukuza - 09-14 April 2012

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes Dikdikkie, but keep in mind that we are only approximately 200 active members on this forum. The sad thing about this is when someone else gets banned, we will only be approximately 199 active members. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I see what you are saying Weltenman and Hawk. Maybe a panel consisting of a few mites won’t do..too many different opinions and all that! :roll:

How about a panel consisting of the mods and one mite, nominated by the mites, with special veto powers to decide on banning or not. :twisted: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:52 pm 

TheunsH wrote:
How about a panel consisting of the mods and one mite, nominated by the mites, with special veto powers to decide on banning or not. :twisted: :twisted:

:clap: :clap: :clap: I think this can work - and by no means is it because I do not trust the panel.

Another perspective could shed a total different light to discussions.

Skukuza - 09-14 April 2012

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next