Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 5 of 12
 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Should the names of people banned be made public on the forums?
Poll ended at Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:32 pm
Yes 63%  63%  [ 57 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 90
 Post subject: Re: Should the names of members banned be made public
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ecojunkie wrote:
Just a thought...... the vast majority of 'mites appear to be in favour of a 'publish and shame' approach to those seen breaking park rules - and even post photos themselves...... Most of the people appearing in the photos will not have been 'warned' or even 'convicted'. What is different then in publishing a forum name after banning (for breaking rules at least 4 times and being warned each time)?

Ecojunkie, I think you've made a good point there. I've never seen any concern shown about posting photographs of people breaking rules. "What's good for the goose ....."

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I cannot think what privacy laws will have any effect here. If you post on something on an open website, you tell the world what you think and thereby make yourself vulnerable to any negative comment from whosoever. But, if you post something which does not conform to the rules laid down by the site, then you must not complain if your posts are removed or, you are banned. To post something is not a right but a privilege.

Someone mentioned probable legal action if your name and the reason for your banning are mentioned, but what are the legal consequences? If someone says to me "Rooies, you are a bloody fool", how have my fama and dignitas been affected? I post under a username and the rest of the world doesn't know who the accuser is referring to. So will this effect my standing in the community? Will my neighbor tell me that he will not look after my house during the Christmas season because I misbehaved on the SANParks forum? Definitely not.

I therefor see no problem if the following is posted "BANNED FOR LIFE. Rooies has repeatedly transgressed rule 123, despite 7 warnings, and he is now part of the the history of this forum"

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Rooies, now that is straight talk.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:41 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
cheetah2111 wrote:
........then there isn't the same shame. Because members will make up their own mind if the ban is justified in which case there isn't shame, and if it is justified there will be shame.
The fact that every ban brings shame assumes every ban is just.

Members are not banned to bring shame. When a member is banned, only the moderators, Admin and the banned member knows about it. It only becomes embarrassing when it is posted on open forum for the whole world to read and that is never the doing of the mods or Admin. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Scenario - Bert gets banned (sorry Bert your name came up 1st) for breaking rule xyz. His posts gets edited by the mods, just doing their job. I come along and read that Bert was banned and
then see his post was edited. Or change the scenario - the post is still there. My opinion the post did not break the rules. Chill room here we come, again.... Another scathing attack on the mods for what I believe to be an injustice.

Do you really think that will solve the problem? Won't it just create opportunity for unhappiness and more hot debates like the 1 last week. I do not believe that is the way to go, I might be wrong but that is my opinion.

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:32 am 

But the point is LVB, members are not banned for one post breaking the rules, they are banned because they consistently and over a period of time, break the rules to which they agreed to abide by when they joined the forum.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:43 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think whenever a member gets banned there will be confusion no matter if the name gets published or not. If it gets published some members may be confused because they don't understand why, if the name doesn't get published other members may be confused because pm's to this member don't get through or they get told that the requested name doesn't exist..
And for the shame: in my opinion nobody has to be ashamed for the things other people do, only for the things you do yourself. In other words, a member could be ashamed because of his own posts but not because he was banned of the forum.
I think as an information for the other forumites it would be better to publish the names, maybe there would be less debates and rumours then.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

saraf wrote:
But the point is LVB, members are not banned for one post breaking the rules, they are banned because they consistently and over a period of time, break the rules to which they agreed to abide by when they joined the forum.

Agreed and understood, but by publishing people won't know about the other indiscretions by the banned member and that is another point where the mods will then open themselves to attack. All the information will not be available to everybody.

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:10 am 

Lowveldboy wrote:
Agreed and understood, but by publishing people won't know about the other indiscretions by the banned member and that is another point where the mods will then open themselves to attack. All the information will not be available to everybody.
Quite correct. As has been the case all along. The mods never tell their side so members are not aware of what posts have been edited over the years, how many times a member has been written to (not even warned, just written to) etc etc. At the moment, and in the past, the members get to hear only one side of the story, and I would guess, not always a very accurate account of happenings.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Anyone who has been following certain threads would more or less have an idea why a fellow forumite suddenly fell away, whether by choice or by being banned. If you are a friend of such a member, you will most probably know through means of e-mail or otherwise what happened, if you are not a friend you cannot really be concerned.
So I think most of the "yes" votes are purely out of curiosity. What else can be the use of all this?
:hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:42 am 

FAC Member (2013)
JenB wrote:
Members are not banned to bring shame.

Your right hey. that isn't the reason for the ban :wink:

Sent you a PM :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:47 am 

FAC Member (2013)
So a 'Mite has transgressed on a public forum,
let it be public knowledge he/she is banned.

Less mystery and suspician. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Howdie, Cheetah2111!
:lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have sat on my hands for more than 24hrs. I am just as adamant about this as I was 24hrs ago.

Why would this be necessary, mods do not have to justify their decisions, they have the rules set out and they have taken on the task of enforcing it. As it has been said over and over any action by the mods is a team decision, not a single person on the rampage. There seems to be a culture of questioning the mod's decisions and arguing and even taking on mods for applying the rules, self inflicted injury, it happens because the mods allow it to happen. Having the need for a topic like this "Moderators request for civil members! " is sad or worse it is a disgrace.

The constant whining and blubbering is more suited to a site like Hello Peter where bitching and moaning is in the order of the day, this forum should be one to share our common interest in nature, to enjoy other's experiences and to learn from the wealth of knowledge available. I wholeheartedly agree with Pumbaa.

Pumbaa wrote:
............. there are rules - as everywhere in life - to which you have to stick :thumbs_up:

But to make this public :big_eyes: not for me. As this forum is a place for me to relax after a day full of work and activity with watching nice pictures, reading thrilling stories and to give any advice if needed. I do not have any energy or enthusiasm to follow such endless discussions or make me think why exactly this mite got banned.

...............:

I think Stark has summed it up perfectly. (my bold)

Stark wrote:
I get what you're saying, Pumbaa, and agree. (still voting yes, but that is the beauty of opinions :))

I've never seen, or even suspected, that banning on this forum was akin to the Red Queen shouting "Off with his head!" at the slightest provocation. It's a gradual process, not a sudden cliff-drop. (or am I wrong? :hmz:) I also don't think forumites are dropping like flies. And, while I am friends with a few banned mites off-forum, nobody should play the victim here. I've pointed out to a few mods that the rules are getting more convoluted as they are being made more specific. Yes that is a problem, but it doesn't change the fact that the primary rule of the forum is the Golden Rule.

We're adults. (mostly) We KNOW when we are acting naughty. (mostly)

As my father used to tell me , "Stark (or whatever he called me :tongue: ), Cowboy Up." Trust me, if I ever get banned from here, that banning will be my decision.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:08 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Sparksy :D
releasing the names does not imply questioning the mods :wink:
Infringement on a public forum = ban made made public. Fair and square.
Don't see any reason for mods to keep bans private

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next