Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Your Forum Footprint
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:01 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

In light of the fact that it's a new year and a new decade, and with the recent gibberish (that's the most complimentary term I could come up with) on this thread, perhaps we should all stand back abit and look at ourselves in a mirror. What does your reflection look like, not only to you, but in the eyes of others on this Forum?

Does your Forum Footprint reflect you, your conservation concerns, your love of nature, and most importantly, your idea of what you wish to convey to others who share your passion and heart?

Or is your footprint muddied, muddled, and besmirched...by you. We, by our entries here, are the authors of our own demise or even an inspiration.

Who would want to follow in YOUR Forum Footsteps?

Post subject: Re: Your Forum Footprint
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

AFRICAT wrote:
with the recent gibberish (that's the most complimentary term I could come up with) on this thread,

I think you are being very generous in your description of some of the recent posts.

A brilliant post Africat. Everyone should read it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:32 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I agree with you Africat .. well done. ( sorry about that PM the other evening !!!) Now this will get the mites thinking what nasty things I said to you !!!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Morning all!
I missed out on the forum happenings for a week and really don't know if I want to go back and read it all!
I have never asked myself what impact I'm personally having on the Forum as I consider myself a "baby" when it gets to SA and Sanparks matters. My only hope is that my little contributions adds something to the Forum and wildlife conservation in SA.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great thread AFRICAT! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:31 pm 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Africat, I do like your post, No No, I love it........ :clap: :clap: :clap:

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:51 pm 

I am going to love this thread a lot.

All of us are posting gibberish at one time or another, but that's what's keeping this forum interesting.
Actually apart from all the gibberish we all contribute greatly to it.

For myself. I talk a lot of gibberish, but also try to pull my own weight making this place to what it is today and also think that I'm succeeding in it.
My knowledge of the animals is very small compared to other mites, but on other threads other mites and me have succeded greatly in keeping it alive.

All our small contributions are making this a top class forum.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

AFRICAT - a good time to pause and review what each of us have contributed to this forum and how we can improve the way we contribute in 2010.

To use your FOOTPRINT analogy - I believe that some mites really believe their BOOTS are bigger than those of others, while some of the more valuable forum members really underestimate the potential of their BOOTS, and could gladly contribute and leave a much larger FOOTPRINT.

Some of us tend to wear Hobnail boots, some wear running shoes, and we even have the odd mite wearing ballet slippers. Suggest that in your own minds, without posting in the forum you think of a mite that fits each of these descriptions :D I suppose that it would be wishful thinking, and frankly quite boring if we all marched in step, never mind in the same direction :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

AFRICAT :clap: great thoughts :clap:
I consider myself a guest here and try to behave accordingly as I do when I visit the parks

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:36 pm 

Africat!!!! Well said :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've been away this last week and seem to have missed the "issues". The little I did read distressed me :( So I left the threads. Billy, I like your analogy :clap: :clap: There are some "mites who think they are THE ONES with the knowledge, but seldom stop to check their facts before shooting themselves in those very large boots

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:43 pm 

Africat, an excellent post, and topic :clap:

One of the first things members are invited to read upon joining the forums, apart from the rules, is the Netiquette, and # 5 states:
Quote:
5. A large audience will see your post. Unlike the spoken word, your written posts will exist on the forum for a long time.

I think folk tend to forget this and that many of the posts made now will be still be here in 5 years time.

Granted the forum needs to provide for a very diverse audience, and no one wants it to be stale for anyone.

In life, I always admire a comedian that can be really funny and entertaining, but knows when to stop. A joke told twice becomes so boring. A very fine line to know and appreciate where one crosses it. The same can apply to anyone wishing to make a statement. Repeated, it looses its initial affect.

To all forum members: if you feel uncomfortable to post about actual incidents on the forum that you find distasteful or just too much, or see as embarrassing to this forum community or SANParks, you can always PM one of the mods with your concerns. Your PM will be treated in confidence.

If I may, with apologies to Edmund Burke and using Africat's term: "All that is necessary for the triumph of gibberish is that good mites do nothing."

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

With "only" 997 posts over 3 years, I have a relative small footprint when compared to some other mites 8)
My motto is to think twice before :sniper: someone down. I would therefore like to apologise to Jumbo for taking her on (some years ago - and it still bothers me!) about something very silly. I totally overreacted. Askies! :slap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

AFRICAT :thumbs_up: :clap: you always have a way of putting things into words so very well, a great thread.

I tried, but i dont think i can look at myself subjectively , in an accurate way to determine my forum footprint.

I dont know what people think of my contribution, its made more difficult by the fact that often you dont meet the people face to face so some posts get lost in translation.I will admit that i have been too quick to act, before knowing all the facts, but i always have the best intentions at mind and usually always think how different people will react before posting, at least i try to :redface: If theres one thing i hate in all walks of life is when people are made to feel inferior to others and even more importantly when people judge others

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'm not sure I have any foot prints...they're behind me after all :D ,and I can't see them. Others may be able to see them, but I know that if I ever see them...I'll be walking in circles. :roll:
My goal is to keep trying to go forward and try not to turn back and see those foot prints. Always facing forwards, good or bad, they will be there no matter what I do.