Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: what torch do you guys use?
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:32 pm 

Hi RIAAN H,always thought my maglite 3d was good until I discovered the LED Lenser P7.wow what a difference.small,light and comes in a pouch that fits on your belt.It uses 4xAAA batteries and easily outshines my maglite.
Can't wait to try it out in KNP in april and Augrabies,KTP and the Karoo in september.
Bring on the night stuff.

Take care wherever you are.

PF.

---------------------------------------
SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 - Berg-en-Dal
6 - Skukuza
7/8 - Tamboti
9/10/11 - Shimuwini
12/13/14- Shingwedzi
15-19 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:36 pm 

I recently bought a LED LENSER M14 and a M7. A little pricey at just below R500 each but I am very impressed with their performance. A nice feature is the ability to reduce the brightness to conserve batteries and also when less light is needed. I have only owned them for about a month so can not comment on how well they will last but overall seem very good quality and they certainly have an amazing light output.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:36 pm 

3 weeks ago I bought a LED Lenser P14. I'm gonna try it next week and report after returning 27-11. It works splendid in my back garden. You can use it as a spotlight at 200 m. or in a wide cirkel of 25-50m.

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Post subject: Re: Spotlights/Torches - use of and advise
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:40 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Merged the new topic with the old one. Maybe read back a little too? The one Madach is using is super!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:08 pm 

Daffy wrote:
3 weeks ago I bought a LED Lenser P14. I'm gonna try it next week and report after returning 27-11. It works splendid in my back garden. You can use it as a spotlight at 200 m. or in a wide cirkel of 25-50m.

hi Daffy

I look forward to you feedback on the P14. I recently bought the L7 (100 lumens, 200m, 3x AAA) and am very impressed so far. Going to Kruger next week (10 to14 Nov), and look forward to testing it then.

I have since picked up that the P14 is the better way to go. Do I buy one quickly before Kruger trip as well? Hmm. Would be great to hear your field test feedback. ;)

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:40 pm 

JohnGore wrote:
Daffy wrote:

hi Daffy

I look forward to you feedback on the P14. I recently bought the L7 (100 lumens, 200m, 3x AAA) and am very impressed so far. Going to Kruger next week (10 to14 Nov), and look forward to testing it then.

I have since picked up that the P14 is the better way to go. Do I buy one quickly before Kruger trip as well? Hmm. Would be great to hear your field test feedback. ;)

Hi John

As I posted earlier I recently bought a LED Lenser M14 and a M7. These are from what I can see identical to the P range with the exception of having regulated output circuits and some additional mode options. Based on my experiences so far there is not a lot to choose between the two. The M14 has slightly better light output at a rated 225 lumen as opposed to the 220 of the M7. Beam distance is rated as 316m against the M7's 255m. However the size of the M7 is a lot more convenient. I much prefer the feel of the M7 for general carrying around. So do not sell your P7 too short.

The one concern I do have is that I suspect the M14 will have a much better battery life than the M7. Also in SA the AA batteries are a lot cheaper than the AAA.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that if you buy the Intelligent Pouch for the M7 / P7 (which I also have done) you also get a red filter which makes the flashlight much more versatile for night game viewing. This option is not available for the M14 / P14

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:39 am 

mikef wrote:
JohnGore wrote:
hi Daffy

Hi John

As I posted earlier I recently bought a LED Lenser M14 and a M7. These are from what I can see identical to the P range with the exception of having regulated output circuits and some additional mode options. Based on my experiences so far there is not a lot to choose between the two. The M14 has slightly better light output at a rated 225 lumen as opposed to the 220 of the M7. Beam distance is rated as 316m against the M7's 255m. However the size of the M7 is a lot more convenient. I much prefer the feel of the M7 for general carrying around. So do not sell your P7 too short.

The one concern I do have is that I suspect the M14 will have a much better battery life than the M7. Also in SA the AA batteries are a lot cheaper than the AAA.

tks, but I have the L7 , not P7. ;)

The L7 is lightweight version of the P7, and has a twist lens (P serries has slide lens).

I first liked the L7 because it's not as bright (100 lumens), and will be less intrusive to animals. But now thinking that a P14, or M14, with a red filter may be better. About the same final brightness with filter as the L7 (without filter).

Leaving in 2 days now, so I'm probably just going to stick with the L7 for this trip.

PS: I also have a normal spotlight (same as found on the vehicles) with a motorbike battery. If I'm not lucky enought to get a seat on the vehicle with a spot, then will use my own for spotting. The LED Lenser is just for fill light arround the subject. Will test various combos, and give feedback here.

Tks again for all the input everyone! :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:39 am 

JohnGore wrote:

tks, but I have the L7 , not P7. ;)

The L7 is lightweight version of the P7, and has a twist lens (P serries has slide lens).

I first liked the L7 because it's not as bright (100 lumens), and will be less intrusive to animals. But now thinking that a P14, or M14, with a red filter may be better. About the same final brightness with filter as the L7 (without filter).

Sorry - that's what comes from reading to quickly :redface:

The main point I was trying to make though is that there is not much difference in light output and functionality between the smaller P7/M7 and larger P14/M14. Imo the size of the smaller P7/M7 (about the same as the L7) is a lot more practical for general purpose use.

Also just to repeat - LED Lenser SA have told me they do not have a red filter for the P14/M14 (only for the smaller P7/M7) - you would need to source such a filter yourself

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:59 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

My torch (T1) has got a strap .... you can put it around your wrist.

:whistle:

:twisted: :wink:

:lol:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:47 am 

:thumbs_up: :funny:

Wow that's a great feature - and I have just realised so has mine :o

I have also just thought of a brand new usage for my two flashlights - if I join the two wrist straps with a short piece of rope they would make great skipping rope handles :twisted:

What a wonderful way to keep fit when they not being used as flashlights :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Bought a new spotlight today at ODW. It is a Zartek Cree Q4 LED Spotlight ZA-470. Extremely light weight, which is great! It came with AC and DC chargers, and what actually sold it to me....a red filter. At a touch under R400 it is amazing. I charged it up when I got home, and have just tried it out at the fence. Good reach (box says up to 200m) even with the red filter, and the buffalo I suddenly found near me did not even bother about the light with the filter on at all. Battery life is advertised as 4 hours, which is also great for my purposes. Looking forward to trying it out on a drive now!

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:15 pm 

Congrats - sounds great. Hope it delivers on its specs.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:10 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

That sounds like one I'd like!
How does it compare to the normal lights on the nightdrive vehicles? I'd like to have my own light on those drives, and not have to rely on the 'less perfect' person with the lights.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:52 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I'll let you know after I have tried it on a drive. Beware of thinking you can use your own on a drive though.....we are limited to the supplied lights. Imagine the effect on the poor animals if all 21 guests were using their own lights......and of course some would then use far too powerful lights! There has to be a cut-off (pardon the pun), so no guests may use their own light. I only use mine when we stop and have trouble seeing properly, or if an animal is close and I want the red light.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:00 am 

Thanks for the advice on the torch EJ. I am going to add it to my Christmas wish list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next