Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Traveling from Berg-en-Dal to Ithala - which route?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:35 am 

Hi everybody

After plenty of reading and gathering informations (even just reading this board has been very useful for travel preparation!) I am still left with a question.

We visit Kruger end of january and are planning to continue our safari in ithala. This means a (long) traveling day from Berg-en-Dal to Ntshondwe.

The "easiest" way is not always the one I like the most and especially not that interesting and since we will be driving the whole day I'd like to see at least some nice places.
Therefore I read and got the tipp to take the route along the Swaziland boarder (R38/R40 via Barberton), afterwards the R33 down to N2
Link to the route in Google Maps

Is this route (especially the part along the boarder) a) possible, b) worth it and c) very difficult?
if a) isn't the case - e.g. for flooded bridges/crosses I would avoid it, b) and c) I can live with.
If we decide elsewise, what would be the fastest route and how long would this take us? I just need a rough number.

Since we are traveling in January I am not that familiar with the situation of rainfall and road conditions - I have never been in that region during rain season before.
We drive an SUV with some extra clearance but no 4x4.
Of course this would mean to start pretty early in the morning (leaving 6-6.30am) but that isn't a problem.

Thank you for any input!

Best regards

Post subject: Re: Traveling from Berg-en-Dal to Ithala - which route?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:10 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi kOa_Master and a warm welcome to the forum........ :gflower:

Have a look at this topic ................Best Routes - KZN to Kruger.

Lots of useful info in there.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:13 am 

thank you! Didn't see this topic before.
although no one described the route along the boarder, just via badplaas (which seems to be quite alright to go for).

If we would consider the direct route via swaziland, how "difficult" is the border crossing (does it cost time, money, a lot of patience? we have european passports and a car from europcar, we don't need to pay extra to cross swaziland. I have been to zim before and it took me some extra hours, dollars and a nerve-stretching search for a stamped document...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
There is another topic that might be of help

Best Route to Kruger via Swaziland

Have a look there, I know there was a posting on what to have ready before hand etc, I will search some more..... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:30 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Got it........... link

norms wrote:
Hi Simon -
I have traveled this route many times, (St. Lucia via Swaziland to KNP). It is the most direct route and all roads are in good condition.

Enter Swaziland at Golela/Lavumisa border post. Make sure that you have recieved a CROSS BORDER PERMIT for Swaziland from your car rental company. The South African authorities are very strict about this. Report to the SARS (Revenue Services) office and complete a DA65 form that allows you to take the car out of the country. Proceed to immigration for formalities and then to the customs gate where you have to produce the CROSS BORDER PERMIT.
On the Swaziland side complete the Arrivals/Departures form and pay R50.00 road tax.

The best route through Swaziland is north for 60 kilometers on the MR8 to Big Bend. 8 kilometers after Big Bend turn right onto the MR16 towards Siteki. After 40 Kilometers turn left at a T-Junction and then travel 5 kilometers where you then turn right onto the MR3. After 32 kilometers turn left onto the MR24 and travel 40 kilometers to the Mananga border post.

Total kilometers through Swaziland - 185km. Roughly 3 hours.(including border formalities)

When you reach Mananga border post clear immigration for leaving Swaziland (complete a departures form) and proceed through to the South African side. Clear immigration and report to the customs desk. They will stamp a form given to you at customs. Get in your car and drive to the police check point - hand them this form that was stamped by customs and the DA65 (SARS) form that you received when taking the car out of South Africa.

You are then through!!!! Sounds like a lot of work but it is quick and easy. From Mananga it is a 60km drive to the N4 at Komatipoort.

Have a great time in SA and in the Park.

P.S - Make a note of the engine number of the car as this will be needed on the DA65 form. The engine number should be recorded on the CROSS BORDER PERMIT!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:44 am 

you are fast and good! thanks a lot :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:49 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
:lol: :lol:

Pleasure hope it helps, please ask if there is more info you need.