Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fishing allowed?
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:02 am 

Hi everyone,

I was wondering is fishing allowed in the Sanparks say for example in Tsitsikama or any other Sanpark at the coast. :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:15 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

That would be like canned hunting in the Parks..... Or fishing in an aquarium. :?

Nope, it's not allowed.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:47 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Or fishing in an aquarium.

:lol: But, there are a few parks, that allow fishing.

http://www.sanparks.org/tourism/activities/#Fishing

* Fishing permits are available at Addo Elephant, Agulhas, Bontebok, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld and West Coast. Angling has been stopped at Tsitsikamma because of the drastic decline of rocky shoreline species.

Post subject: Fishing in Tsitsikamma
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:56 pm 

You may be surprised about this but after more than thirty years of careful loving protection of this wonderful place, our first Marine Park,a very bad thing is about to happen.
A group of local fishermen have managed to presurise the Deputy Minister into opening up the Park for fishing.
They call themselves subsistence fishermen but not one of them has to fish to support his family.
They are all recreational fishers who had been poaching illegally in the Park, and when they were caught during their illegal activities , they mobilised to force MCM to interfere in the management of a National Park.
We are facing a situation where a group of local poachers are using local party politics to gain access to a National and International treasure.
If you want to know what a real tragedy is, watch how this refuge gets destroyed by a few selfish people.
Tsitsikamma has restocked the local surrounding waters for decades after they were fished to exhaustion.
Look at the situation regarding MOST of our local fish stocks.
We have reached the point where we are in real danger of loosing some of our most popular fish stocks forever.
If we loose our last refuges for these fish to a bunch of self serving recreational anglers and local politicians who are pushing the issue for votes, our country will be the laughing stock of the world.
Wake up ! We have no more fish because anglers and commercial concerns were allowed to over exploit our marine resources. Habitat degradation also played a role,and we need to look at the whole picture. We are in trouble !
Are we going to allow the rape of a National Park ?
Are we going to allow hunting in Kruger National Park next ?
There is no real difference. It is just from which angle you observe the conundrum.
You think about this.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can we not get a petition going. Things like that happen in Canada and if a certain number of people sign the petition things change.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:28 am 

Seahorse - that's terrible news. Can SANParks counter it by employing a system of permits, at least?

Fishing to feed families is one thing, fishing for "recreational" purposes just leaves me completely baffled.

Please could you keep us up to date with what happens?

Post subject: Fishing in Tsitsikamma
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:23 pm 

It is not just a question of permitting an activity.
Why should one community get the sole right to fish in a National Park.
Parks are meant to be for the enjoyment of the WHOLE of the RSA as well as the international community.
Who is going to determine which part of the RSA is going to enjoy this exclusive right ?
Where is your and my right to access National Parks to enjoy consumptive use ?
Every hunter in the RSA wants to bag a buck. National Parks have plenty.
The whole approach is flawed. Nobody should have the right to plunder a National Park for personal pleasure.
There are plenty of areas where these people can go and fish.
I maintain that nobody should have the right to fish in the Park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:10 am 

Seahorse, I hadn't looked at it that way but I absolutely agree.

I was just trying to see a way of mitigating a potentially ruinous situation.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:30 am 

I see on the news tonight they are going to open the Tsitskamma for the people living in and around and the rural area for angling.They will get permits to enter the 6-10km piece of coastline.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
How sad. If the permits are just for a few fish per week it is not that bad, but will they stick to the permits?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The park will have to strictly enforce , and then check these people on the way out the park .
Make it misserable for them to fish there , simple as that .

As for the petition - go for it .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:48 am 

What is happening to our country? I have read these posts with a wry feeling? Lofty was merely posting a question and what happened? An awful reality monster jumped out! It is disastrous for our country - It could not have been said better by DuQues that it is like "fishing in an aquarium"? Why would you do that?

Are the coastline not big enough to let the communities fish somewhere else or will this in turn have an influence on the catch of commercial fishermen who pay their way for the privilege to catch on the coastline. I agree - why only a selected few - it is everybody's inheritance why should some communities have an advantage?

The purpose of a National Park is to conserve and it is not that half the country is reserved for conservation! Look at the biggest part of SA - where National Parks are not involved and where there are no boundaries - it is a mess - trees are chopped down for fire wood, wild animals are hunted and slaughtered for fun. It is sick!
I also did some angling and I saw at the angling spots how messy and dangerous the fishing spots are left behind. It was not only the ordinary rubbish like plastic bags, coldrink cans and beer bottles but also fishingline and hooks lying arround that causes a hazard to other sealife and has a complete chain reaction.

We all know, even if you open the door slightly the devil slips in! Therefore, fishing in a Naional Park should be strictly forbidden. If everthing that was said is factual the "monster" should be stopped. It is with sadness that I note the last post to this thread was made on the 19th of April - has it stopped? Was the problem rectified or are we going to accept this like so many other things?

Neels Vermeulen

Post subject: Fishing/hunting in a National Park
Unread postPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:48 pm 
Relax, guys

According to the National Parks act, commercial fishing is simply prohibited!

If there is some local claim, it would have to mean the "rezoning" of a certain area through an Act of Parliament - highly unlikely.

Seahorse, simply, go to your local member of Parliament, skipping the possibly corrupt local government structure of the area.

Well done!

Post subject: Fishing in National Parks
Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:42 pm 

I am afraid you have to look at some missing facts.
The National Parks Act is no more !
Replaced by the Protected Areas Act. Unfortunately not as effective as one would wish. It has left our Parks vulnerable due to the fact that there are technicalities that had not been completed before the act was promulgated.

The fishing in Tsitsikamma is also not commercial. The concessions are made to Recreational fishers.

I have been told that I must be careful not to offend anyone through this forum. It is unfortunately not easy to present the facts by staying quiet about them.

Just read what Melany Gosling writes in the English press and speak to the expert scientists who are extremely worried about the direction in which this thing is going.

If I offend anyone with this posting, I apologise sincerely. I am just convinced that this action will compromise the survival opportunities of our fish populations on this coastline.
Most of the important species are fished to within extinction levels.
Someone must speak up to warn about the foolishness of allowing the only remauning breeding stocks to be depleted for the sake of a few recreational fishermen.

If it was a food issue, I am the first volunteer to assist in the development of other sources of food through application of innovative methods.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Almost all of us are on your side seahorse, me included.