Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Bungalow Etiquette
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:25 am 

This may seem like a strange question, however, I was reading the posts regarding tipping, and this suddenly came to mind.
What is the correct procedure regarding 'cleaning up' of the bungalow - dishes, making of beds etc. when you leave for the day - it is rude to leave dishes to be done by the cleaners? Also, when you leave the park, if you have food / perishables left over, is it ok to leave them in your fridge for the cleaning staff? Hope someone can help - am never sure what the right thing is to do...
Thanks as always!

Post subject: Bungalow Etiquette
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:38 am 

Hi,Kathy we have found that although the rules for the camps state that washing of dishes is not the responsibility of the staff if you approach the bungalow cleaner they are willing to do this "chore" for a small fee which is usually in the region of R10.00 per day.
We have also found that most staff are appreciative of the excess and perishibles left behind in the fridge

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I can only comment on what we do Kathy. When we stay at Ngwenya Lodge (timeshare owned by the family) we do leave the dishes, but we do make sure they have soaked during the night so it does not make for hard work. Inside Kruger we do clean up ourselves. Generally I think it is stated on the arrival form if cleaners will clean dishes or not. We also always leave unused food that we cannot take with us behind for the cleaners.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: One foot in the car, the other still in the office!
We always leave a tip in the ash tray. We work it out on a pro rata basis at around R15 per day. My old man tips more. If I ask the attendant to wash dishes then I pay separately for that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:23 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

nunu wrote:
We always leave a tip in the ash tray. We work it out on a pro rata basis at around R15 per day. My old man tips more.

We also tip R10-20 per day
Depends on the service

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:25 am 
My brother-in-law, who is South African always has a go at me for tipping too generously even when I'm only giving some loose change. I love the custom of accepting a tip in both hands, I've been told this is to show you haven't got a knife in the other hand?

A few years ago, we travelled from Durban, stopping at Omfolozi and then Hlane in Swaziland. By the time we reached Skukuza, the car was absolutely filthy inside and out. We saw a sign for the car wash so decided to have it cleaned. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't two lads and a hosepipe. They cleaned the outside, took about 20 minutes, then started on the interior with small paintbrushes. The car ended up like new. When I asked how much, they said whatever you like. It would have cost me a fortune to have had it cleaned like that in the UK, so I gave them R50. They seemed to be happy with that. Is the car wash still the same at Skukuza?

Another time, we arrived at Shingwedzi, it was mid December and steaming. I had promised the kids we would go straight to the pool but my wife decided that the laundry had to be done there and then. I wasn't going to argue, so I dropped her and her mother at the laundry and took the kids to the pool. When we got back from our refreshing dip I found my mother-in-law on hands and knees mopping the flooded chalet floor with a towel. The look she gave me would have floored a bull ellie, so I simply stepped out of the door and called over one of the maids. She came into the chalet, took one look at my mother-in-law and said "Why are you down there you silly lady? Get up now." she then reached up above the door and took down a mop. Continuing to mutter "Silly lady" she cleaned the floor. That got her a few extra rand. In fact, I was tempted to hire her as a bodyguard. Anyone who can best my m-in-law!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I never leave dirty dishes on table or in the kitchen. I don`t like. Because i think insects or others will come, so i clean it by myself. If staff clean my dishes, i will tip them, because it`s not their "common".
Also when i leave my accommodation for the day, i try to put my things and clothes on one point to make the job for the staff a little bit "comfrtable" :lol: But often they are so excellent in their job. When i came back all my clothes are well prepared for the luggage, the bear is sitting in the right position and zhe other goodies also well placed.

And for a good job i give a (for me small) tip from 10-15 Rand.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:53 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My fellow forumites all have the correct idea .

Bear in mind the cleaning staff are salt-of-the-earth folk and anything you give them is very highly appreciated . In return thay have no issues with extra chores , especialy units with kitchenettes and utensils . To us the amounts mentioned are trifling but it has a huge value , financialy and dignity wise - to them .

We personally spend long periods mostly at the same huts and the attendants know us intimatly . I always take along "OROS"
in 5 liter bottles , frozen stewing meat like chuck/shin and
baked beans etc. Above their value these are items they can't readily buy in the park shops , but which they realy like .

It would be wrong to abuse them with bribery eg. to supply firewood . Also avoid giving alchohol to them they are on duty .

They often ask to wash vehicles and that is up to your choice although I personaly don't need it.

I think it is also only fair to be neat and clean in the bungalow and bathroom . Your own dignity is on display .

Picnic site staff similarly don't object to dish washing for a fair consideration - they anyway wash the skottel braai , and that is very handy .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I usualy leave the evening dishes (because by then I'm sleepy) till after the morning game drive. If the attendant decided to wash it, she will see the difference in her tip. If not, she gets tipped according to the service delivered.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:49 am 

christo wrote:
I usualy leave the evening dishes (because by then I'm sleepy) till after the morning game drive. If the attendant decided to wash it, she will see the difference in her tip. If not, she gets tipped according to the service delivered.

Happens to me all the time :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:50 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I never even considered leaving my dirty dishes for other people to clean.... :redface:

I thought it was against the Image

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think common courtesy and consideration for others should be our guidelines. I never wash dishes in the Park when we stay in a Bungalow. I leave a tip close to the sink. That way the Attendant immediately knows that it's meant for the dishes. I don't regard dishes as part of their 'normal' cleaning job. I tip separately for dishes and cleaning. I think they deserve a tip just for cleaning that messy braai every day! :?

If I stay in a unit for multiple nights, I make sure I know that 'our' Attendant will be working on the day we depart. I then leave an amount and a Thank You-note in the unit on the day of departure. I have also found them to be very grateful for any unused food items and always leave those behind. :)

I also have to commend their honesty. I have never had a problem with anything being removed from my unit and it has always been spotless and tidy upon my return after a drive. :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:48 pm 

LittleLeopard wrote:
I also have to commend their honesty. I have never had a problem with anything being removed from my unit and it has always been spotless and tidy upon my return after a drive. :thumbs_up:

Ahem :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I do not often spend more than a night at any place.
I try to leave a good bit of braai for lunch for the cleaning staff.
The cutlery I need to clean. It comes home with me.
I do not make beds as they need to be changed.
I invariably leave at least one sock :?
I also leave about R10 a person a night.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:40 pm 

I agree with mikev - we also try and take something with us when visiting the park for the staff (especially the camps further north that don't have easy access to shops). The hut attendants usually appreciate a small bag of Mielie Meal / sweets / fruit. I always make a point of taking a small "gift" when we visit over Christmas as most of the staff have children. I also like to take a box of biscuits for the reception staff - especially the camps that we visit regularly.
It costs very little when you consider how much we spend on petrol, toll fees and accommodation etc to enjoy the KNP.
We also leave a tip of between R15 - R20 per night for the hut attendant.