Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: CAMP ETIQUETTE
Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would have hammered his chops with peri-peri and pepper when he wasnt looking :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
We also experienced similar behavior from these type of arrogant people. Whilst en route to Zimbabwe, we stayed overnight at Tshipise. When we came back from the shop, here was this guy making fire at our braai. When we asked him what he was doing , he nonchalantly replied that there was something wrong with his braai and since we are not using ours, he is going to braai at our bungalow.

Now this chap was probably on honeymoon because the missus stayed in the bungalow whilst he was attending to the fire. He came out of the bungalow a couple of times to check the fire and went back to his bungalow, slamming the door shut. Missus never came out (perhaps she was sweeping the floor :tongue: ) After the third time that Mr disappeared into his place, we grabbed a spade, removed the entire fire and threw that into the metallic dustbin. You should have seen the expression on his face when he came back and saw that his fire was gone. We just continued chatting and obviously had absolute no idea as to what happened to the fire, when being confronted by this man.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Rooies, well done

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:51 pm 

Thank you so very much for your responses! I must say though some of you certainly do have more patience than others! Wow ........... guess RUDENESS is everywhere! So very sad indeed!

Seems that good old fashioned 'camping etiquette' has long since gone then! Even a simple greeting in a communal ablution block - sometimes received a frown or a non-responsive stare! My 18 year old son was quite taken aback when he greeted an elderly gentleman one morning with an English accented "More Oom!" having heard him speak Afrikaans earlier to someone else and received a shrug and a turn of a back within seconds. Would it have been so hard to acknowledge a greeting, with a simple SMILE and "More seun"

Anyway, I will continue to be a respectful, friendly, curtious and mindful of my fellow camper and will continue to teach my children the same. Maybe ONE day, we'll succeed. Until then .... :wall:

HAPPY CAMPING TO YOU ALL ...................
:D

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
We also experienced similar behavior from these type of arrogant people. Whilst en route to Zimbabwe, we stayed overnight at Tshipise. When we came back from the shop, here was this guy making fire at our braai. When we asked him what he was doing , he nonchalantly replied that there was something wrong with his braai and since we are not using ours, he is going to braai at our bungalow.

Now this chap was probably on honeymoon because the missus stayed in the bungalow whilst he was attending to the fire. He came out of the bungalow a couple of times to check the fire and went back to his bungalow, slamming the door shut. Missus never came out (perhaps she was sweeping the floor :tongue: ) After the third time that Mr disappeared into his place, we grabbed a spade, removed the entire fire and threw that into the metallic dustbin. You should have seen the expression on his face when he came back and saw that his fire was gone. We just continued chatting and obviously had absolute no idea as to what happened to the fire, when being confronted by this man.

Well perhaps the lack of etiquette is not as severe in South Africa, as in the UK that could get you stabbed. :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
@ Missings. Get stabbed? I thought that London was the epicenter of the civilized world. What type of knives do you use? Here in SA we have the famous Okapi knife. The general rule is that we don't stab each other, unless you have given them 2 warnings.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Seriously, while in truth the murder rate here is very low, much lower than people think. England and Wales has a population of 55 million and around 600 (six hundred) murders last year, including partner murders and infanticide. Stranger murders are rare.

Nevertheless, there are some very rough and aggressive people here and certain rules apply. Don't get in arguments with strangers and never toot your horn at another car.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:17 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Missings is quite right....sadly knife crime is prevalent in certain areas of the UK!! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here in SA we use stolen ak's and 9mm's :tongue:
I would like to see the no hooting applied as i think if my neighbours lived there they would get stabbed every day

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If you hoot at someone, it is thought of as a sign you are disrespecting them and their driving.

That said. I think nothing of walking to the shop at just before 11 pm when it closes, if I have no milk for my morning tea.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here people hoot because they just plain lazy to get out the car and go ring the doorbell

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

GlenD wrote:
Here people hoot because they just plain lazy to get out the car and go ring the doorbell

Well, maybe the old knife would come out. I hate hooters. :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I feel the same

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:21 pm 

On the other side of the coin here. I was forced to go through someone else's campsite at Malelane last August because of the inconsiderate placing of their tent and awning. I had been advised by Ecojunkie to check out the river view from the little path that runs towards the lookout. When I got to the entrance, some campers had set their camp up directly over where the visible path led to the break in the fence going down to the river view. They were just about a metre from the fence line! So I had no option but to essentially walk through the front of their camp!!

I did feel uncomfortable doing it as they were always stoney faced when I went past, but there was no way I was going to stop visiting the lookout!! If they didn't want people getting close to their camp, then really they should not have blocked the ONLY access to the path!! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Gemma T, I would have also walked through there camp as they were in the wrong BUT yet again the plague of the 21st century rears its ugly head-ME,MYSELF,I DISEASE. They were only concerned about the fact that they could see the view and did not bother to think for a minute about the other campers who would also like to see the view. I hate inconsiderate/selfish/stupid/ignorant campers/tourists like that

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next