Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 81  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:20 pm 

Hi

We have been to KNP twice this year with our son who is not yet 1 year old. I take all the precautions that I can against mozzies - except for anti-malaria medication. I saw a few mozzies both times (end May and end of July), but my son did not have a single bite.
We also stay in fixed accommodation, although we actually love camping - I think it lowers the risk a bit.
You will be surprised at the amount of little kids in Kruger - I think it is quite safe, but would not go during summer.
(Although we always went in December before we had a kid, and only took medicine the first time, never again)

My personal opinion is that the risk of contracting malaria in Kruger is relatively low....
BUT...
I recently heard of a man who died in June his year from malaria after spending a few nights at Lower Sabie.

There is still definately a real malaria risk - one should never forget that!

Post subject: Re: Children, Malaria risk and Kruger in Winter
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Elsa wrote:
Although the risk in winter is considerably less, the danger is nontheless always there.
It must be remembered that young children and babies can't always tell you when they are ill and what they are feeling therefore you must take the utmost precautions to avoid them being bitten. Sunrise and sunset being the most dangerous times of the day.
You apparantly cant give children under 15 kgs antimalaria drugs so i would therefore say use all the other topical treatments that have been advised already to the letter.
Good luck and a wonderful trip.

Agree 110% with you about small children not being able to tell you they feel ill.

AR, my wife's doctor(who had falciparum herself) told her that had she taken anti-malarial drugs that it might have been easier to treat her. If you visit once a year, you are adviced to take it. Me taking any for visiting once a month causes more harm than any good.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:58 am 
Hi guys
A warning: I live in a high-risk malaria area close to Kruger. This winter was warmer than normal and we saw mosquitoes right through the winter. I know a few people who are currently being treated for malaria – meaning they were probably bitten in the second week of August.

atlanta rob wrote:
there is a chance the medication could mask some of the symptoms and it could take a lot longer for a doctor to diagnose you (according to our Doctor).

That is true, but if your malaria is caused by the Falciparum parasite the chances of your malaria turning into cerebral malaria is very slim when you do take the pills. Thus, it is so much easier to treat you (as WTM mentioned). If you don’t take the pills and your malaria turns in cerebral malaria, there is a pretty good chance that you will not make it.

I have said this before: Especially to the foreign tourist, when you are deciding whether or not to take the pills, you also have to consider what experience and knowledge your doctors back home have when it comes to diagnosing and treating malaria. Don’t take chances, especially not with your children -you might just lose.
About 45 000 children die each year from malaria, and that is in Mozambique alone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:12 am 
macho mouse wrote:
I was also told recently that mozzies are more attracted to you if you have been sweating a lot, so shower or bath regularly.

They are attracted to heat maybe an ice bath :lol:

There has been a lot of speculation about what makes mosquitoes prefer some people above other. There have even been suggestions about smell. But it seems the larger amount of scientists still believe it is heat. That is way children are bitten more. Due to their high metabolism they give of more heat – well this what I read :?

Loams wrote:
I have heard that when you eat garlic mozzies tend to stay away.

And so does Count Dracula :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:28 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Malaria experts are changing their advice after a study showed a drug can save more lives than current therapy.
The trial, conducted with almost 1500 patients in Bangladesh, Myanmar, India and Indonesia, compared the effectiveness of two plant-derived drugs: quinine and artesunate. Quinine is currently the drug of choice for treating severe malaria in most affected regions. Artesunate, meanwhile, is derived from artemisinin, a traditional Chinese medicine. The results were compelling – artesunate reduced mortality by 35 per cent when compared with quinine, and was safer and easier to administer.
The World Health Organization said it will recommend artesunate, a drug derived from traditional Chinese medicine, for severe malaria.

Source 1 (BBC Website) and Source 2 (Wellcome trust).

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:16 pm 

Hi Safrica - Jose is correct you cannot buy malarone without a prescription in SA. There are other anti-malaria tabs which you can buy off the shelves in Kruger but they are not considered the best. Malarone is sold as Malanil here in SA and cost about R35 a pill and you need to take one the day before entering the Park, one each day in the Park and then one a day for a week after leaving the Park.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Mosquitos
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sadly all to many overseas visitors will see a lot has been said and do the wrong thing. In the UK up to 50 people die every year from malaria which has been caught while on holiday. Regular visitors from SA may need to behave differently where prophylaxis is concerned.

And remember, mosquitos spread other diseases as well. Not sure if Nile fever has arrived in SA yet.

Take prophylaxis - I do all year, definitely during October through May. Not much resistance yet so paludrine and chloroquine are still effective, and rarely cause any problems at all.

But it is equally important to take other precautions - being covered from dusk till dawn (especially long trousers, shoes) and using effective insect repellants. Some mossies fly during the day though not the malaria ones. Other biting insects also, so use a spray if going for a walk (should repel ticks for instance).

I know that many regard them as only for wimps but mosquito nets are very simple to use and if used properly 100% effective whilst asleep - perhaps use one for the kids even if you are too macho!

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:49 pm 

Obelix wrote:
My GP now gave me a prescription for Doxycyline, more specifically Cyclidox. Anyone heard of this and is it any good? I've read somewhere that Cyclidox is just a kind of antibiotic. I'm just concerned it's not "the rigth stuff", particularly as I got it for very cheap, compared to other Malaria medication.

I have taken Cyclidox on a couple of occasions before when I have been to Kruger and it has been fine. Have not had malaria. You just have to be careful of the sun as your skin becomes very sensitive when you are taking it. It is a type of antibiotic. But do as WTM suggested and just double check with a Doctor.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

HS wrote:
Me again about the bracelet. I found it in a chemist. It is called "Bug-a-bug". It is a citronella braclet (the same kind of material that they make the tick and flea collars for dogs) and is said to keep bugs and mozzies away. It costs about R23.

Does not work, SO was still bitten on the ankles and legs :evil:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Spoke to my pharmicist a while back and he was adamant that a person does not take chances. He says the problem lies in that malaria is more often than not mis-diagnosed, with very nasty results.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all
My family and I all took artemesia on our march peak malaria visit. We ll turned out well and all friends who have taken it as well.
Artemesia has a virtual 100% prevention record. It is homeopathic (and works, believe it or not!), so has absolutely no side effects. It is extremely cheap just R2 per capsule and 2 capsules taken daily. You only nedd to take it 1 and 3 days before and after a trip respectively.
The us army and assosciatesare currently using artemesia in times when they are in the East and it is being used alargely there to prevent malaria.
The world health organisation recommends its a drug of choice, and I give it the :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Where do you buy this artemesia ?

Found this link which is very informative on malaria .
Malaria Prevention in Travelers
And this 1 on artemesia
ICRAF discovers Wonder Plant for curing Malaria
From the second link , i particularly find this line interesting -
"published scientific studies show that the artemisinin content in the blood is high enough after drinking Artemisia tea to cure malaria"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Artemesia has a virtual 100% prevention record. It is homeopathic (and works, believe it or not!), so has absolutely no side effects.

For the time being artemisia is meant to be taken as malaria THERAPY, not for prophylaxis. There are absolutely nil scientific data for its use as a prophylactic drug. Side effects have been reported to be minimal, but this is NOT a homeopathic drug, it is a naturally occuring plant chemical. DO NOT confuse herbal medicine with MEANS NO SIDE EFFECTS (Try a berry of the belladonna plant and you know what I mean). The artemisia form for malaria therapy approved by the WHO comes under the trade name Coartem and is actually a combination of artemisin compounds and Lumefantrine (benflumetol), which has been around for malaria therapy for about 10 years.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

kwenga wrote:
For the time being artemisia is meant to be taken as malaria THERAPY, not for prophylaxis. There are absolutely nil scientific data for its use as a prophylactic drug.

Thanks for making this point, Kwenga. I think there is a great deal of confusion over what is the appropriate prophylaxis for malaria, especially as those mozzies seem to develop greater resistance to existing drugs all the time :evil:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:58 am 

bucky wrote:
The big thing to remeber is that children under 30kg's (I think its 30)
can not be effectivly treated for malaria , this is the word of our gp , I duno if its just being carefull or true .

Good luck with the twins :thumbs_up: I also have twin boys , now aged 9 :D .

My daughters doctor told her that it was under 15 kg's that could not be administered the Malaria drugs, :?

I also have identical twin boys, much older tho. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 81  Next