Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81
 Post subject: Re: Malaria
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:18 pm 

Wow - at 80 pages, perhaps this forum needs to be subdivided now? Anyway, hope this is the right forum for my Q :-)

I have a reservation in Pretoriuskop end April/early May. Now I have been going to Kruger for 40 years and even did time there in the army so I am not particularly concerned about the malaria issue but I am going up with family that are incredibly nervous. They apparently know a few people that have had a run in with malaria in the park in the past few months and now want to postpone the reservation until winter. This is fine except that we have kids and well, the park is full in the July school holidays. There is still time to cancel the reservation without forfeit I think but before I take that sad (for me) step, my question is this: is malaria in the park any worse this year than in previous years? Has there been an increase in malaria cases attributed to KNP visits? I have heard about malaria issues up in Limpopo but read nothing in the news about heightened concerns in Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi GregH,

As far as I know the malaria is not worse in the park. I would suggest that your family take the necessary precautions as required. Your trip does fall towards the end of the high risk time and I would not postpone the trip at all unless you have member on board that is pregnant.
You can also call the Kruger malaria hotline on 082 234 1800 where they will give you up to date information.

Berg-en-dal 1 January 2015 - 4 January 2015
Skukuza 3 April 2015 to 6 April 2015
Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:49 pm 

Thanks PietSkiet,

I tried that number but I get a "the number you have dialled does not exist.."

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi GregH,

Apologies for that, I got the number from the info that was sent to me with my previous reservation. You can try the following number 083 900 8424. I tested the number and it does appear to be the right one

Berg-en-dal 1 January 2015 - 4 January 2015
Skukuza 3 April 2015 to 6 April 2015
Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:50 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

The decision must be yours, but we have been in Phalaborwa since November, and there seem to be very few mozzies around this year, than in previous ones.

Having said that of course, only one mozzie is needed to do the damage.

I would always recommend taking precautions. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Malaria Risk in Southern Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:56 am 

Please could someone advise me on the current malaria risk in Southern Kruger. I am heading to Croc Bridge in 2 weeks time for 2 nights. I have had malaria 3 times and am now allergic to Quinine. I have never taken anti-malarials in the past due to working in Malaria areas, but don't fancy getting it again! I currently live in Nelspruit.

Post subject: Re: Malaria Risk in Southern Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It is summer now, so I guess there must be a risk of Malaria.

Might be worth your while consulting a dr about the best way to proceed.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:21 pm 

BWB

I was in Skuks beginning of Nov and there had been 5 cases there in the last month already.

Due to the nature of the transmission, there needs to be an infected individual bitten by the mozzie, that then bites you - so higher population of infected people = increased risk. Theoretically the fact that there are some "illegal people" that are very likely carriers frequenting the park , there is an increased risk.

Bg

Der wings is on de boid!

Post subject: Re: Malaria Risk in Southern Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:56 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
bushwackedblonde wrote:
Please could someone advise me on the current malaria risk in Southern Kruger. I am heading to Croc Bridge in 2 weeks time for 2 nights. I have had malaria 3 times and am now allergic to Quinine. I have never taken anti-malarials in the past due to working in Malaria areas, but don't fancy getting it again! I currently live in Nelspruit.

Bushwhackedblonde (good alias :clap: ), what is good news in recent times is that the Department of Health has approved a new malaria map of South Africa that reflects risk zones reduced both in their extent and intensity. That means that many areas that were once considered as high seasonal-risk areas are now revised to moderate seasonal-risk areas and the low-risk areas have reduced in extent. Also, certain areas that were said to be high-risk areas have now been revised to low-risk (the northern-most area of KwaZulu Natal).

All of this means that it is primarily the north-eastern areas of Limpopo and Mpumalanga where antimalarial chemoprophylaxis (medications) is still recommended from September to May, inclusive. At the time that you are going to Kruger, it is officially designated as a risk area where chemoprophylaxis is recommended. However, each person makes her or his own decision on this matter. In your case, you can weigh up the fact that you are going for two nights only, and whether you'd be in a position to use diligent non-preventative measures from dusk until dawn, versus the cost and risk of you contracting malaria over that time period. You don't say whether you're in chalets or camping, but if the former, then if you leave your air-conditioner on at night (it does get pretty warm most of the time), the chances of mosquitoes getting into the unit and biting you is greatly reduced. I have just come back from Kruger and, because it was quite dry in many areas, and it didn't rain much, there were not that many mosquitoes around - although I did get bitten several times. However, always bear in mind that it just takes one infected female Anopheles mosquito to transmit the disease.

You say you have had malaria in the past, but then you lived in a malaria area, so were always exposed to risk. You don't say where you worked, but I assume it was high-risk areas. However, the fact that you had malaria before does not change your risk of getting it again. You mention that you are allergic to quinine, but I cannot ascertain whether that allergy prevents you from using the drug to treat malaria or whether it only gives you uncomfortable side-effects. Either way, there are other options to quinine for treating malaria, although quinine is still a staple of the treatment regimen, as far as I can tell.

My advice to you is to find out more from a travel clinic or appropriate health professional and then decide what route you want to follow. If you do choose to use chemoprophylaxis, then you'd have to consult a doctor to prescribe the medications in any case. Whatever you choose, go ahead and enjoy your trip.

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:48 pm 

hi all

quick qeustion . i dont know if its been posted here alread but im heading to the Kruger in Jan for a short period my 1.5year old son wil be joining me. is there any malaria prevention for him? i know there is going to be plnty of opinions but would like to know what they are.......we are staying at Thamboti for 3 nights only.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 pm 

Hi leo21

When it comes to these precious little people, it is worth chatting to your doc about malaria meds. I am not even sure if under 2 year olds can take prophylactics. January is a high risk period so you do need to take precautions for you all when visiting Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:23 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Leo, there is plenty of information on this thread regarding young children in malaria-risk areas, and virtually everything has been covered before. Try the "Search" option above, add two or three key words, and it will throw out relevant posts.

The bottom line is that young children - and yours is indeed young - are at serious risk of morbidity and/or mortality if they are unlucky enough to contract the disease. One reason is because it is often similar to flu-like symptoms and so detection may be retarded, but the most serious thing is that the disease can progress rapidly in the young child, meaning that it can quickly become cerebral malaria. There are options for malaria prophylaxis - all of them are on a doctor's prescription - and you and your healthcare professional need to assess the benefits of using them. Non-drug measures are the mainstay of malaria prevention between dusk and dawn - whether you use chemoprophylaxis or not - and it is advisable to ensure that you do everything to prevent the little one being bitten. Remember that it only takes one infected mosquito to induce malaria in a person. The first, and safest recommendation, is not to take the child into the malaria area if possible, but if you choose to, get adequate and good professional advice first. Another consideration is that January is a very hot month in Kruger and some children do not do well in the heat. It is all about weighing up the pros and the cons, the benefits and the risks, and then deciding maturely what is best. Also, there must be a plan in place if the child exhibits signs of malaria.

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Some visitors do take young children and successfully prevent the child being bitten, but if it were me and I should say I don't have children, I would not take the risk of taking a young child into the Kruger at a high risk time.

It is so easy to be bitten by a mosquito and children are so precious, that you would never forgive yourself even they became ill, when it is preventable by not taking them.

Isn't there a granny or aunt or other family member who could look after the little one or, switch to a park that is malaria free?

Just my thoughts and once again thanks to OWN, who year in year out, replies with patience to our questions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81