Skip to Content

Malaria

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

leo21

Re: Malaria

Unread postby leo21 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:48 pm

hi all

quick qeustion . i dont know if its been posted here alread but im heading to the Kruger in Jan for a short period my 1.5year old son wil be joining me. is there any malaria prevention for him? i know there is going to be plnty of opinions but would like to know what they are.......we are staying at Thamboti for 3 nights only.
December Holiday BOOKED!!!!
4 Nights Tamboti
4 Night Pretoruiskop :dance:

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi leo21

When it comes to these precious little people, it is worth chatting to your doc about malaria meds. I am not even sure if under 2 year olds can take prophylactics. January is a high risk period so you do need to take precautions for you all when visiting Kruger.
Sawubona
Dalene

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:23 am

Leo, there is plenty of information on this thread regarding young children in malaria-risk areas, and virtually everything has been covered before. Try the "Search" option above, add two or three key words, and it will throw out relevant posts.

The bottom line is that young children - and yours is indeed young - are at serious risk of morbidity and/or mortality if they are unlucky enough to contract the disease. One reason is because it is often similar to flu-like symptoms and so detection may be retarded, but the most serious thing is that the disease can progress rapidly in the young child, meaning that it can quickly become cerebral malaria. There are options for malaria prophylaxis - all of them are on a doctor's prescription - and you and your healthcare professional need to assess the benefits of using them. Non-drug measures are the mainstay of malaria prevention between dusk and dawn - whether you use chemoprophylaxis or not - and it is advisable to ensure that you do everything to prevent the little one being bitten. Remember that it only takes one infected mosquito to induce malaria in a person. The first, and safest recommendation, is not to take the child into the malaria area if possible, but if you choose to, get adequate and good professional advice first. Another consideration is that January is a very hot month in Kruger and some children do not do well in the heat. It is all about weighing up the pros and the cons, the benefits and the risks, and then deciding maturely what is best. Also, there must be a plan in place if the child exhibits signs of malaria.

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby missings.a.! » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:21 pm

Some visitors do take young children and successfully prevent the child being bitten, but if it were me and I should say I don't have children, I would not take the risk of taking a young child into the Kruger at a high risk time.

It is so easy to be bitten by a mosquito and children are so precious, that you would never forgive yourself even they became ill, when it is preventable by not taking them.

Isn't there a granny or aunt or other family member who could look after the little one or, switch to a park that is malaria free?

Just my thoughts and once again thanks to OWN, who year in year out, replies with patience to our questions.

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks MA. :D :D

By the way, we see millions of mosquitoes in the rainy season, but do most of you know how to identify the female Anopheles mosquito, which is the one that transmits malaria?
EVERYBODY'S TR!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetahlady » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:00 am

Leo,

The decision to take a toddler to a Malara risk area is personal. As OWN said, prophylaxis is available for children. We started taking our son at about 15 months, usually during winter, once in the summer. We have always used malaria medication. The biggest problem is to make sure the child takes and swallows the full dose. We crushed the pills and put the entire dose in a single spoon of ice cream.

Talk with your child's doctor. We also use tabard, spray rooms with bug spray (especially under beds, behind curtains and in bathroom) and wear long clothing.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

leo21

Unread postby leo21 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:56 am

hi all thanks so much for the wonderfull advise. we are back from the Kruger and had a wonderfull trip.

my son was prescirbed Malinil Ped and had no side effects to it whatsoever. we fed it to him in a spoon filled with honey as it tasted awfull.

we also used alot of Tabard candles and peacefull sleep as well as long sleeves and pants tucked into socks between dusk and dawn.....

keep an eye out for our TR.

you guys are wonderfull! thanks :gflower:
December Holiday BOOKED!!!!
4 Nights Tamboti
4 Night Pretoruiskop :dance:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:03 am

I am going to take this opportunity to warn people to be extra careful. We were in Tzendze in early December. We were very good about covering up and using Peaceful Sleep. Despite this, one of our party came down with Malaria.

He actually thinks he was bitten in Phalaborwa in the late afternoon. Do take care.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:52 pm

IMHO.

Peace full sleep does not do the trick.

Nor does citronella, I have had mozzies sit on my arm just after I put citronella cream on me. For me Citronella is so overrated.

Just take malaria prophylaxis. Prevention is better than cure, just don't use Mefliam, it poisoned me in 2012, bad batch. :evil:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

s2000ap

Unread postby s2000ap » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:09 pm

This board is overwhelming...
Anyone know what the malaria situation is like at the moment (March 2015)? Has there been much rain about?
Mainly interested in South of Skukuza.

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:43 am

The recommendations for Kruger between, and including, September and May still remain as they always have: antimalarial drugs are recommended, as well as the ubiquitous non-drug measures (anti-mosquito sprays, mosquito netting, coils, staying indoors between dusk and dawn, etc.) Some people weigh up malaria risk versus the (potential) side-effects of the drugs and choose not to use antimalarial drugs (only non-drug measures), but these decisions remain the responsibility of the decision-maker as the official recommendations still point to antimalarial drugs. The best recommendation then, s2000ap, is to consult a suitable healthcare professional and take it from there, especially as some people are unable to safely use antimalarial drugs and others are suggested not to enter a malarial area at all.
EVERYBODY'S TR!

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:47 am

Lepardfan wrote:IMHO.

Peace full sleep does not do the trick.

Nor does citronella, I have had mozzies sit on my arm just after I put citronella cream on me. For me Citronella is so overrated.

Just take malaria prophylaxis. Prevention is better than cure, just don't use Mefliam, it poisoned me in 2012, bad batch. :evil:

Many people will disagree with you, Lepardfan. I, for one, have no problems using Mefliam and, indeed, find citronella-oil products useful. Everyone is different and each must find what works best for him or her. Some people need to use several types of non-drug measures simultaneously, while others will be content with just one or two. Personally, I always tell people to use as many as they comfortably can to ensure that not a single mosquito bites them - after all, it only takes one infected mosquito to potentially infect a person.
EVERYBODY'S TR!

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”