Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics






Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 8 of 81
 [ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 81  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:43 pm 
Offline
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:10 pm
Posts: 1451
Location: Golden Mile,West Coast, CFG
read an eye opener today: if you take malaria medication, take the whole dosage to it's end,or you may very well carry the parasite without becoming ill, but will then pass it on to the next mosquito which bites you back at home!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:06 pm 
Offline
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:43 pm
Posts: 2954
Another interesting site

_________________
Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow them. Louisa May Alcott


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:32 pm 
I know I have mentioned this before, but I keep on hearing about people currently coming down with malaria in Maputo…this time of the year, unbelievable! :shock: People should at present still be very aware and cautious of malaria. Maybe not so bad in the South of Kruger because the weather is normally cooler than in Maputo, but the Central and Northern regions should experience the same problems.

PS: If you take the anti-malarial drugs and still get falciparum malaria, the chances of that progressing to cerebral malaria are very slim.
If you get cerebral malaria you chances of survival are apparently something like 2%.
Also take into consideration how many malaria cases the doctors in your hometown have treated. On a recent visit to the Garden Route we took our own malaria test kit and treatment with us…would not dare the risk of a doctor in George trying to treat me for malaria. :roll:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:35 pm 
Offline
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
User avatar
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:38 pm
Posts: 9711
Location: In the shadow of Table Mountain
FAC Member (2012)
Jay wrote:
read an eye opener today: if you take malaria medication, take the whole dosage to it's end,or you may very well carry the parasite without becoming ill, but will then pass it on to the next mosquito which bites you back at home!


I suppose that's how people get malaria living in "non malaria" areas.

_________________
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:46 am
Posts: 11
In Aug 2001, my family and I (the youngest, 24 at the time) spent 2weeks in Kruger, moving from Sirheni to Biyamiti. We were all taking Lariam at the proper dosage under the proper regimen, and I 'got' malaria.

We were not expecting the symptoms, so it took a few days before we realized what was happening to me. We had traveled through Cape Town region and I had just landed back in the States. Luckily, a friend of the family is the head of infectious diseases at the local university and was able to help move me through the system. In contract to this friend, I had to describe to some of the learning-physicians (in the States, hospitals help in the training of the MDs) the diagnosis, symptoms, and treatments. Most had heard of the disease but never expected to encounter it in the midwest of the US!

It recurred every 6-7months, each time a little weaker, for about 3 years. Further, the Center for Disease Control wanted my blood for analysis, since I was taking their then-strongest anti-malarial and still got it.

In regards to an earlier post about the disease killing many children (and adults!) every year, it is undoubtedly true. However, it is my understanding that the vast majority of those who die from malaria are those without any adequate access to healthcare services at all, and are also in weakened states of health (diet, other diseases, etc).
It is a deadly disease, but I don't believe (read: personal opinion, not fact!) that it is worth a blanket avoidance.

As a child, proper precautions allowed me to visit my uncle in Swaziland for long periods and also spend numerous vacations throughout the low-veld, in all seasons.

I say again, however, that my opinion is not fact, and scientific advice from trusted sources should be the basis of your own decisions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:51 am 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:34 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Paris France
Hello

On our trip to Kruger in may, we had a prescription from our doctor here in France for an anti-malarial drug (malarone) which we took during our stay and then for another seven days after returning. This was incredibly expensive, as anti-malaria always has been (360 Zar for just 12 tablets (one per day)) Total cost: 1200 Zar

ImageWhen we were in Orpen, I saw a sign stating that ant-malaria medication could be bought from the shop.Image I didn't have time to investigate. Can anyone tell me whether this is trustworthy and approximately how much it costs? If it is cheaper I would take this on next trip, but I don't want to take any chances with this illness. I fully agree with all the comments about the seriousness of it!!!
Graeme

_________________
New trip report being processed...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:23 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 143
Location: One foot in the car, the other still in the office!
Hi Graemy

The combination must saffies use is Paludrine+Chloroquine. This is what is sold in the Park. Its nowhere near as expensive as Malarone. Its not the most up-to-date treatment either (nor is malarone incidently) BUT most of us use it and very few of us ever get malaria so its cant be that bad. Big think is to go for combination protection - medical and physical (eg citronella candles) etc. You actually seldom see a mozzie in a hut. Wear long pants and shirts at night whilst braaing and everything should be okay.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:13 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:34 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Paris France
Thanks for your advice nunu!!!!
I presume it is a treatment which can be taken on the day of arrival.....

(Some treatments ( but that depends on the type of malaria and the type of drug taken) have to be started 1 week before arrival)

I think I will look into buying a treatment in the park next time. Does anyone have any other comments to make about the treatment sold in the park...?????

Graeme

_________________
New trip report being processed...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:39 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:29 pm
Posts: 880
Location: Durban, Kwa Zulu Natal, SA
Graemy - I am led to believe from articles in the press etc that the cominbation sold in the Park and elsewhere of Paludrine and Chloroquin is NOT effective in preventing cerebral malaria. In fact I read a short while ago that it was gradually being phased out because of this lack of efficacy and has been replaced by New Age drugs only available with doc's prescription. We have not taken malaria medication for 6 or 7 years now and prefer to be assidious in our precautionary measures like lighting coils on the verandah, having a plug in bottle of repellant in all the rooms and covering ourselves in cream such as Tabard or Peaceful sleep from top to toe religiously! I have also taken to recently taking a low odour spray that kills flying insects and spraying our bedrooms and bathrooms when we return from our evening drive and them immediately switching on the bottle on the wall in each room.
So far so good!

_________________
NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN RHINO HORN EVER!
NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK
26.09.14 - 03.10.14 Burchells Bush Lodge
03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:22 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:34 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Paris France
Thanks Penny

Many things to consider....Image

When went to our doctor before our last visit, but due to the cost we probably won't be able to come back to Kruger as often as we would like to.
The first and most important thing is to do as you say... protect yourself physically with sprays and coils and creams etc...!!!!

I'll try to keep up to date on any new info before we come again.
Thanks for helpingImage

_________________
New trip report being processed...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:27 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Port Elizabeth
Hi Graemy

If I may give you some advice, start taking your anti malaria medication at least 72hours before entering the park. I've spoken to a few doctors and they all agree. I for instance are not able to take it due to medical reasons, but do take precautionary antibiotics. (Tetracycline). Rather discuss the matter with your GP.

_________________
The golden rule of life - Do unto others as you want done unto yourself


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:43 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 14157
Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
There are many different theories on taking preventative measures for malaria, pills I mean.

I have worked with a Specialist Physician here in Swaziland for 25 years, now his theory is TAKE NO prophylactics. BUT do as Penny says, Spray everything in site, use Tabard, Milol, Peaceful Sleep, mozzie coils. Spray peaceful sleep or Tabard or Milol all over youselves, clothes and all.

Then if you feel at all coldie or flu like 10 days after being in a malaria area, IMMEDIATELY go to a doctor and tell him, immediately start taking antibiotics to kill the malaria, even before the tests come back, if its not malaria, great, the antibiotics you take will not have harmed you, but you will have a head start. My Physician reckons that the prophylactic can mask the symptoms of malaria.

Ok, now my son has just had malaria, he and my SO were in Moz about a month ago, they go regularly there to fish, My SO sprays like fury and has to date, not got malaria, my son is a bit more careless!!!! He got it, but within 8 hours of the first headache and aching symptons was on treatment. Yes for three days he suffered quite a lot, high temps etc, but he is fine now.

My Physician tells me that sometimes the first treatment does not work, but you have time, IF CAUGHT immediately, to try another one, and then another one, in fact he says in time to try up to 5 different treatments, but if you take the prophylactics, you may be too late to try up to 5 treatments if the first four dont work.

Now remember, this is just ONE opinion. There are plenty, and most GP's will not agree with this. But we do live in a malaria country so I think he has a reasonable argument, and we have always stuck with it. BEsides which some of the prophylactics you are given can mess you up plenty, liver etc.....

I dont know, its just what I believe and what we do.

_________________
Don't forget to PM any Mod your Kudu nominations for the month.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:50 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:34 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Paris France
Hi Luislang (love your pseudo by the way)

I know this topic has been discussed and discussed, that's why my question was more relating to the fact that I saw a treatment for sale in the park shops. This quite surprised me, although I did once buy cheap medication in a chemist shop in Nairobi without a doctor's prescription.
The malarone that I took was prescribed to be taken 24 hours before arrival. It all depends on which drug is being taken.

Your answer has given me the valuable reminder that if I buy medication in the park, then I will not have any time before arrival, neither my 24 hours, nor your 72 hours!!!

In some respects I don't think there should be a thread on such a serious subjet. Some people might give wrong or misleading information. But then again, the locals such as yourselves, with a lot of experience, do have some valuable insight.....
Regards

_________________
New trip report being processed...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:56 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:34 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Paris France
Image Hmmmmmmm.....Image Our posts got crossed Jazil
Ok I'm going to give some more thought to all that and try to get some more documentation and professional advice....

Don't want to get malaria, but who can afford 1200 zar for two persons for one week in the park?????

Thanks

_________________
New trip report being processed...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:26 am 
Jazil wrote:
Besides which some of the prophylactics you are given can mess you up plenty, liver etc.....


I think this only happens if you really take it for too long. When we initially moved to Moz, my SO was on Lariam for 6 months…due to the nature of his work at that time he could not afford to get malaria. We got his liver functions tested every now and then and there was no problem. I doubt that people taking Larium for say 5 weeks will have a problem.

Most of the malaria prophylaxes are also used for the treatment of malaria. Apparently the World Health Org. prescribes which of these medications should me used for treatment and which should be used for preventative measures in various counties. The reason for that is to prevent the parasite to get immune to all available medication. This is why they have a BIG issue with people/countries now using Artemisinin as a prophylaxis. Anyway, let’s say you take Mefloquine (Lariam) as a prophylaxis and you still get malaria, that malaria will not get as sever as it would have had if you did not take the medication…reason: you were already busy treat yourself while you took the Lariam….not in the required doses for treatment, but it still helps.
We also need to be realistic: people still getting malaria while using proper prophylaxis in the correct way, are the exception to the rule.

Living in Mozambique we, for obvious reasons, do not take prophylaxis. But prevention of bites is ALLWAYS on our minds. It is essential for to keep our house free of mosquitoes and the moment we put our foot out the door at night we spray …permanently have Tabard cans at all the doors. BUT, if we go on holiday to say Inhambane(very high-risk area) in malaria season, we do take prophylaxis because: 1. I do not have control over mosquitoes inside our accommodation 2. While on holiday you tend to relax and forget about spraying yourself the moment it gets dark.

Schoemanskloof wrote:
In contract to this friend, I had to describe to some of the learning-physicians (in the States, hospitals help in the training of the MDs) the diagnosis, symptoms, and treatments. Most had heard of the disease but never expected to encounter it in the midwest of the US!


This is the biggest problem I have with people telling foreigners not to use prophylaxis.
I will not get myself treated for illnesses in a Moz hospitals, but if I get malaria, I will not go to any other doctor than a Mozambican doctor….they treat thousands of malaria cases and know the ins-and-outs of this disease. Also, the most up to date medication for the treatment of malaria is available in the country. This is not the case in the States as Schoemanskloof’s post rightfully illustrated.
The locals has the luxury to take a chance with malaria because we have doctors that are knowledgeable about this disease…this however does not count for the whole country’s doctors…a while back a child died in George from malaria because the doctors never treated malaria before….did not have the experience to do the diagnoses and treatment.

Just for interest sake: Cerebral malaria is not a separate form of malaria (WTM also mentioned this in another thread)….it is a complication of P. falciparum malaria. If the falciparum malaria is not treated fast enough, the parasite infects the brain and blocks the brain arteries…that is cerebral malaria and if in a progressed sated, treatment is seldom successful.
One of the symptoms of cerebral malaria is that you get delirious. This is why, if they admit you with falciparum, they normally ask you questions like “Do you know where you are” etc. You also hallucinate: a friend of mine’s SO saw ellies walking down the street. :lol: :shock:

graemy wrote:
Don't want to get malaria, but who can afford 1200 zar for two persons for one week in the park?????


Graemy, malarone is not the only effective prophylaxis…there are several cheaper options. True, some of them do affect some people, but they are cheaper and just as effective.

graemy wrote:
In some respects I don't think there should be a thread on such a serious subjet. Some people might give wrong or misleading information.


I sort off agree with you on this. Maybe in addition to this discussions the mods can create a sticky thread with quotes from reliable sources
(Ok, I suppose I can also do that for them…will have to wait to next week….I’m of to Marloth)


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 81  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Webcams Highlights

Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Submitted by Ton&Herma at 08:32:46 Submitted by JanPrrr at 08:41:43 Submitted by Wildkyker at 08:40:11 Submitted by Ton&Herma at 13:37:01