Skip to Content

Malaria

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

Elsa

Re: Have you or anyone you know contracted malaria in KNP?

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Will be merging into the Malaria Topic shortly.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Have you or anyone you know contracted malaria in KNP?

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:13 am

Gosh Matthew, what a horrible experience. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: I am pleased that you pulled through.

I am very interested in your choice not to take Malaria prophylactics. Is there a special reason?
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Kooning

Re: Many thanks to all-effective product for tick-mosquito

Unread postby Kooning » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks for sharing the info Hemant.

The product you described sounded familiar to me so I dug around a bit and found the following on Wikipedia:
The chemical structure of pyrethrins inspired the production of a variety of synthetic insecticides called pyrethroids such as bifenthrin, permethrin, and cypermethrin.

I often use a similar product that can be sprayed onto your clothes before I go into the veld. On the can it says that it contains "Flumethrin (pyrethroid)".

I agree with you that it is excellent at controlling ticks, especially when you do a lot of walking "off-road" in the veld. I must admit I haven't tried it as a general insect repellent.

For those wondering I was able to buy some at the "Koöperasie" in Durbanville (Cape Town). So there are similar products available in South Africa, seems like you just have to know what to look for. (I blame the confusing names on too many chemists trying to get their Phd's... :wink: )

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Malaria

Unread postby onewithnature » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:37 am

Matthew, so glad you pulled through unharmed from cerebral malaria; many people don't survive that. I'd be interested in knowing what prophylactics you used then, as the middle Nineties was around the time that chloroquine and proguanil was abandoned in favour of less-resistant drugs. Assuming that you used competent antimalarial prophylaxis for the time, you were genuinely unlucky that you contracted the disease, and that the disease deteriorated into the cerebral version so quickly.

I'm not quite sure why, after such a horrible experience, Matthew, that you do not take antimalarial medications anymore. I would think that, especially in your case, you would want to have as much blanket protection as possible; so antimalarial medicines + non-drug measures + even considering low-risk season, and so on. Know that the correct antimalarial medicines taken at the correct doses and times do not mask the disease, as is often thought by many people, but actually slows the progression of the disease so that there is more time to treat malaria once it is diagnosed.

Thank you for sharing your story, Matthew - more people may sit up and take notice when hearing of real situations where people contract malaria. I still hear of supposedly highly intelligent people giving poor advice regarding malaria prevention and/or treatment. Everything from drinking gin and tonic to using absolutely no preventative measures in a high-risk area. The best is always to get accurate and competent information before making malaria-related decisions.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Koen

Unread postby Koen » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:38 am

I will have to assume DDT is beng used in the park and in tourist accomadation?

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:55 am

Koen, it would be nice to hear directly from SANParks regarding this; however, as South Africa in recent times is making huge progress against malaria using DDT - and recent statistics suggest a massive drop in affected people, as well as malaria-related deaths amongst those who contract the disease (phenomenally, SA is hoping to eradicate the disease entirely by 2018) - I'm pretty sure that this chemical is being used as part of antimalarial strategies. Of course, DDT will always be a controversial substance as it has been linked to congenital malformations, cancers, and infertility. Here is a link to read more ... http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/hea ... 42652.html
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Just spent 5 days in the bush.....and took a mix used at Sand River Bush Camp by several folk. Simply small bottle of Dettol, in approx 1L spray bottle and add some drops of Citronella oil. It works well! First evening a couple of us used it and by the second evening most used it! One of the guides used it for spraying his legs before the walk.....and actually saw a tick racing off his boot! Others then used it too, and we had far less problems than usual. Simple, cheap, easily available, and effective.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Visit OLA

Trrp-trrrrrrrr
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Trrp-trrrrrrrr » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for this very handy tip EJ :great:
“Nature is a volume of which God is the author.”~ William Harvey
"Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you."~ Native American (Huron) Proverb

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby tent dweller » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:40 am

EJ, can this be used to prevent mosquito bites as well? We normally spray ourselves with Tabbard and burn Tabbard candles etc, do you think we could add this remedy to our usual routine? :hmz: :hmz:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:38 am

That is what I initially took it for (mozzy protection) and it was one of the guides who decided to try it for ticks too. It is the first time I have tried the mixture myself.

Last night back home I decided to spray some around the entrance to the caravan tent and the screen door, and had almost no insect visitors come in at all......Usually despite the screen door quite a few find their way in. Going to see if it deters ants also......

Visit OLA

Trrp-trrrrrrrr
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Trrp-trrrrrrrr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:51 am

EJ.. Just a question do you dilute the dettol at all?
"Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you."~ Native American (Huron) Proverb

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 am

Put a small bottle (100ml) of dettol into a spray bottle that holds about 1L water.

Visit OLA

Trrp-trrrrrrrr
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Trrp-trrrrrrrr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:27 am

ecojunkie wrote:Put a small bottle (100ml) of dettol into a spray bottle that holds about 1L water.

Great, thanks EJ :thumbs_up:

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Expecting moms to be and Malaria prevention

Unread postby Leaping Lizards » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Good evening all.

One of our co travellers has just found out that she is expecting. She has spoken with her doctor who has said that he will find out if there are Anti Malarials that are safe for pregnant women. In the meantime, I thought that perhaps there are forumites who might have this answer.

Are there malaria prevention medications safe for pregnant women and their unborn child? Would you recommend them?

We are asking here because we fear the doctor might take too long, and we need to move quickly to change plans. We need to decide if we going to stick with Kruger, or change to Addo or another Reserve which I cannot mention because it is not Sanparks.

Thanks and regards
Addo Safari Tents - 20, 21 April '15
Karoo National Park 22,23 April '15

Elsa

Re: Expecting moms to be and Malaria prevention

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:47 pm

LL, its generally not advisable for pregnant women to go to a Malaria area unless strictly necessary.
but of course its up to the individual and the doctor's advice.
Please do have a read through the Topics already in existence Here and Here
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”