Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: check in times at camps good or bad?- Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:36 pm 

I know we had a topic and discussion long ago regarding check in times, want to hear some opinions.
Check in times at most places including kruger is 2pm and afterwards , this is to ensure that the cleaning staff have enough time from 10 am to 2 pm to clean the unit and allow new guests to come into a clean unit.

This however is very inconvenient to the new arriving guests as they usually arrive at the camps from various locations anywhere from 11 am and then have to wait in brutal sun after being tired from driving anything from 6 - 16 hours last 24 hours. Is there any way sanparks can perhaps re-look at the check in times and perhaps make it a little earlier -?

as sometimes some camps do allow you to check in at 1 or 1 30 on special request and then the unit is done already.

any suggestions?

(I know about comments saying : it is not a problem at all for us we sit and wait at the restaurant etc... just wonder if that guest did some serious driving 600 km + every day (8 hours + every day) for the last few days and really just want to unpack and rest for a few hours after standing at check in desk sometimes for another hour que...)

Post subject: Re: check in times at camps good or bad?- Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mars,

I seem to remember that there were earlier check out times when we had earlier check in times. I guess the change was a response to visitor feedback as some prefer to go for a morning drive and then pack up. The hours are in line with check in times elsewhere (actually earlier than the usual 3pm).

If we get to camp before check in time, I will usually take care of the paperwork at reception and then Grab a bite to eat or go sit at a nearby waterhole until we can pick up the keys. We have been one of those families that have flown to SA then driven to the park. We know the check in times so we accept that we may have to wait, and there are far worse places to pass the time.

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:13 pm 

I stayed at a UK holiday park recently. I couldn't check in until 4pm and I had to let them know if I was going to be later than 6pm as the reception was closing. And I had to check out at 10am. So compared to that Kruger ain't so bad.

On change-over days we take full advantage of the 10 am check out by having an early drive, coming back and having a shower, packing up and then ambling along to the next camp. On arrival days, there is no way I could get from Joburg to KNP before the check-in time anyway.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:46 pm 

Over the past weeks we have stayed at Berg en Dal, Skukuza twice, Satara twice, Mopani and Olifants. At all camps we arrived early. Skukuza, Satara, Berg en Dal, all gave us the key at 1.30pm. At Olifants we arrived about 12.30, I asked if we could check in then and they offered to call Cleaning to see if our unit was ready, it was and we got the key immediately. Mopani was the only camp that said we had to go back at 2pm for the key, which obviously wasn't a problem as that was the time we expected to get in everywhere :thumbs_up:

Olifants 30th September and 1st October
Satara 2nd/3rd October
Mopani 4th/5th October
Skukuza 6th October
Fly home 7th October

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I for one particularly like the later check out time especially in the winter months. Allows for a nice drive and relaxed packing when you are checking out.

The "new" check in times aren’t really new they have been around for quite sometime. If we didn’t have older times to compare them to would there be a discussion? I believe it just takes some planning to make these times work for you.

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:23 am 

The check-in times were changed at the time of the soccer world cup. Before that check-in was 12 o'clock and check-out was 9am. It depends on who is on duty at the reception desk, some people have no problem allowing slightly earlier check-in, but others insist that visitors wait until 2pm. We now arrange our trip accordingly.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:33 am 

I have always wondered why check in/out times don't change with gate opening/closing times. One should not compare the check in/out times of a rest camp in a game reserve to other places. If people come to Kruger Park because they want to watch game, most will be out first thing in the morning when the gates open. I therefore think the check-out time could move earlier, giving the staff time to start with the cleaning process earlier, resulting in an earlier check-in time.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:18 pm 

cheetahlady wrote:
I guess the change was a response to visitor feedback as some prefer to go for a morning drive and then pack up.

Believe me this was not done as a response to visitor feedback - on the contrary the paying public (you know those people who keep everyone who works in the camp in a job) were never consulted. This was a decision made to appease the workers who felt they were overloaded with work....

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Gralba wrote:
cheetahlady wrote:
I guess the change was a response to visitor feedback as some prefer to go for a morning drive and then pack up.

Believe me this was not done as a response to visitor feedback - on the contrary the paying public (you know those people who keep everyone who works in the camp in a job) were never consulted. This was a decision made to appease the workers who felt they were overloaded with work....

This is a very serious assumption :naughty:

We also regularly travel by road from the Western Cape to the Kruger National Park and always organise time of arrival to be in sync with check in times as clearly stated on your confirmation letter received from SanParks. My advise: you have agreed to all the terms and conditions of booking and if you keep to it there will be no issues.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It was a bit of a shock when the new check-in and check-out times were brought in, but we have adapted - and I am sure many others have also adapted.

This last trip we had a nice lunch at M&B at Letaba before driving up to Mopani to check in - arrived at exactly 2.00 p.m.!!

The day we were due to leave Mopani we went for an early drive, returned to pack up at around 9.30 a.m. and went to Mooiplaas Picnic Site and cooked ourselves a nice brunch. Slowly drove up to Shingwedzi and checked in shortly after 2.00 p.m.

The day we were to move from Shingwedzi we also got up and went for an early drive, returned and packed up at 9.30 a.m. and drove slowly to Babalala Picnic Site and had cooked brunch and arrived at Punda Maria at 2.00 p.m. to check in.

No problems at all. This was the first trip that we had done an early drive before returning to pack up - it worked very well and we will probably continue to do things that way. We had 3 camps in fairly close proximity but still managed to "kill time" before arriving at the new camp to check in.

I think we are all opposed to any kind of change but, in this case, it is really not too much of a problem, if handled sensibly.

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:01 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Great planing Hippotragus :hmz: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:12 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

There will always be people who liked the old times and people who prefer the new.

I thnk it is unlikely that SANParks will go back to the old ones, so like Hoppotragus it seems sensible that we all need to adapt.

I personally prefer the new times, as like others we enjoy an early drive before we return to our unit and pack up. We plan our arrival for 2pm or after to check in.

That is not to say that I don't sympathise with all the members who would prefer to go back to the old tmes, as I know that they have valid reasons for preferring it that way. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Luckely when you camp there is no problem when you check in, if it's 8 o'clock in the morning or 5 o'clock in the afternoon you can, you check in and set up camp no problem :dance: :dance:

KNP: Berg en Dal 7 to 10 August 2015