Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Top planning hints for your Kruger visit
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We normally take a small coolbox (6 pack size) for cold drinks plus a cool bag with picnic goodies inside.
These are extra to whatever we are using for storing meat, veg etc. which vary depending on how we are staying i.e camping; bungalow etc.
The cool bag is permanently equipped with plates, cutlery and mugs - from experience we have found it less "stressful" as things are not forgotten in the rush to leave camp at the crack of dawn!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I have a cheap Bushbaby picnic back-pack which I bought at Checkers. It has 4 place settings and a cool-bag plus 2 bottle coolers. This goes with me in the car for drinks etc, and is my basic camping equipment too.

Also have a thermocooler for cold stuff when travelling, and it plugs into mains for use as a fridge at campsite. Did get a camping freezer too.......but that is because I am based here and use it a lot.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW THE CAMERA WORKS - I tried to download all our holiday photos from December 2013 yesterday, I pressed something that I shouldn't have and now they are all gone :cry: :cry:
My hubby went to the shop that we purchased the camera from and they told him how we should have downloaded the photographs, why didn't they tell us this when we purchased the camera?????
Anyway we only have to wait until 21 December to see the Kruger again and of course I have the memories of our December 2013 trip but at my age I don't seem to remember as much as I could 30 years ago :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:47 pm 

I'm fairly sure that if you have a look on the internet you should be able to find a program that will enable you too recover your photos.
I have used a program in the past, cant remember the name and now have a different computer, with good results. Google " photo recovery from camera cards" and see how you go

Mike Goss

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:50 am 

Love this thread.

We'll be returning to KNP soon for a short trip.
Routes are being planned, bags prepacked food menu and also the important binocs & camera gear checked.

Now residing in the UK had its challenges.
Soft foldable cooler boxes (1 large for meats , 1 small for tins of cool drinks) r squeezed in to travel luggage. Roberts bird guide, mammal book and KNP map book too.

Over time we've put together a checklist to cover the essentials.
Included on this list is to pack a Yellow Ribbon to fix to the wing mirror.
How else will people now we are Forum members?

It has been mentioned before, but is worth repeating: visiting KNP and experiencing what has to offer is about the sights, sounds (even the silence).
The little things might not be part of the big 5, but boy can they keep you entertained.

Happy planning to all.

Next trip is in the planning phase........

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:40 pm 

Hey guys!
I'm from Germany and after visiting South Africa twice now (more the Limpopo area), I finally got my father to join me and we're going to visit Kruger next march!
I'm planning the whole thing. We'll stay 10 days and I planned a route involving five camps. Skukuza, Satara, Shingwedzi, Letaba and Lower Sabie. But after that I'm kinda lost. How long would you recommend staying at each of the camps? Is there one you'd say we should stay more than two days or maybe leave one out, but stay at another for one more day?
Hope that's even the right thread for this question! :redface:
Thank you very much in advance!
Really looking forward to return to South Africa,
greets from Germany :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:14 pm 

Hi MaikeM,

10 days in Kruger sounds like a good amount of time. As a general rule we tend to spend no less that two days at any one camp.

Another thing to consider is direction of travel. I'd advise to either go from South to North or visa versa.

North to South: Satara-Skukuza-Lower Sabie maybe
Souht to North: Skukuza-Lower Sabie-Satara

Lower Sabie is the hardest camp to get availability for so maybe work around what you can get for that camp and manage your booking that way. There is also nothing wrong with staying in the South and doing Pretoriuskop, Lower Sabie and Skukuza only. Yes there are more people that around Satara, but there are more road options and higher density of general game etc.

We're looking at visiting for a similar length of time for next year and our booking is for Skukuza, Lower Sabie and Lower Sabie.

PS: Even for two people try and get the 3 bed bungalows: BD3's or similar. The price difference to the BD2's is minimal when paying with € and the extra space will come in handy.

Enjoy the trip planning

Next trip is in the planning phase........

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would suggest three nights each in three camps. That would give you two full days to drive the roads in each area. That would minimise the packing and unpacking, which can take up valuable game-viewing time.

If you cannot get a booking at Lower Sabie, I would suggest doing Skukuza, Satara and Crocodile Bridge camps.
I agree with Riaanf31 that you should plan your camps north to south or vice versa.

Also consider Tamboti tented camp - it is a small camp, with the tents on the bank of the Tamboti River. From there you can do the same roads as from Satara camp, plus some others.

Looking at the camps you have chosen it is difficult to say which to stay at for longer and which less. Maybe 1 night Skukuza, 2 Lower Sabie, 3 Satara, 1 Letaba and 2 or 3 Shingwedzi. If you leave the camps early you can do a full day's game-viewing when changing camps.

Good luck with the planning and have a great trip.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:35 pm 

Hi!

Thanks so much for your answers! Always good to hear advise from people who've been there!
It really does sound better to go south-north, instead of my plan south-north-south...

Kind regards,
Maike

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:20 pm 

Hi,
We have planned a trip to Cape Town, garden route and addo. Since, we are arriving in JNB Now we thinking of doing kruger 3 nights and then drive to port Elizabeth. Thinking of staying in one camp on the southern end.

Any advise and do you think it is practical to drive or fly to port Elizabeth. Thought of driving because of the cost.

Thanks

Nas

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
MaikeM,

Something that you have to keep in mind are the distances involved. They don't look far on a map, and they aren't, until you drive those distances in the Kruger. Shingwedzi to Letaba is not that far until you get blocked by the entire world's population of buffalo, or 1 otherwise elephant. Then everything changes.

Work on covering 20 kms per hour on average and then you might be looking at realistic times.

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
nasm wrote:
Hi,
We have planned a trip to Cape Town, garden route and addo. Since, we are arriving in JNB Now we thinking of doing kruger 3 nights and then drive to port Elizabeth. Thinking of staying in one camp on the southern end.

Any advise and do you think it is practical to drive or fly to port Elizabeth. Thought of driving because of the cost.

Thanks

Nas

Nasm, starting a new topic would have been a much better option.

Kruger to PE is a very long drive indeed. I strongly recommend the flight option.

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:24 am 

Thank you