Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Conceal GPS-sightings
Unread postPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:09 pm 

SIVA wrote:
Hi Lepus

What GPS-databases are you talking about? Are we talking about tracking or public sightings?

My feeling on this is if you put these databases or data on the web with a live app you should have a 1-day delay on your data.

The only time I would worry about putting the x, y’s of an animal on the web is when a specific animal is being tracked.

What is the difference between tracking and public sightings, under these circumstances?

A delay is probably a good way to protect some of the species, but a one day delay would not be enough. The reason is that this would still give information to poachers and such alike on how the animal is dispersing/migrating. Delays of one year would be more ideal, and for some species one should never reveal its sighting position (unless it is in more well protected areas).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

jaapvandijk wrote:
Freda, Buckey,

thnx for your information and opinion.
i'll have a look over there and compare that to the dutch prices.

Jaap, you can also try here.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Freda wrote:
We have a Garmin but only use it on the 4 x 4 trails and still get lost :cry:

I know the feeling Freda :D

However, a GPS only really works when it is used with a proper map (and I am not talking about the map loaded on the GPS, but a good old paper and ink map)

A GPS is just a navigational tool that makes getting around easier. You still need to be able to read a map and plot your position on that.

Post subject: Re: Conceal GPS-sightings
Unread postPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

lepus wrote:
What is the difference between tracking and public sightings, under these circumstances?

A delay is probably a good way to protect some of the species, but a one day delay would not be enough. The reason is that this would still give information to poachers and such alike on how the animal is dispersing/migrating. Delays of one year would be more ideal, and for some species one should never reveal its sighting position (unless it is in more well protected areas).

Lepus, I agree to some extent with what you are saying. Posting the GPS coordinates for a territorial animal is not a good idea. For example take a Pels Fishing Owl. Putting the coordinates for a Pels nest/sighting could be disastrous as it could cause an influx of would be spotters, driving the bird off.

But, for roaming game, and even to an extent territorial game, consider the following:
1) The tourist roads open to the public gives access to a very small portion of the park.
2) Animals move astonishingly quickly.
3) Poachers will prefer not to go about their business close to the main roads for obvious reasons.

So I do not have a big issue with tourists posting their sighting coordinates. How many times have those sighting boards in the camps been accurate for you? Ok a GPS is far more accurate, but by the time the coordinates appear here it will be way too late.

The coordinate postings will give you a better idea of how likely you will spot a certain animal in a specific area.

The GPS data captured by SANParks staff, should NOT be made public.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:37 am 

Quote:

New postPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:40 pm Post subject: Re: Conceal GPS-sightings Reply with quote [Mark post as unread]
lepus wrote:

Lepus, I agree to some extent with what you are saying. Posting the GPS coordinates for a territorial animal is not a good idea. For example take a Pels Fishing Owl. Putting the coordinates for a Pels nest/sighting could be disastrous as it could cause an influx of would be spotters, driving the bird off.

But, for roaming game, and even to an extent territorial game, consider the following:
1) The tourist roads open to the public gives access to a very small portion of the park.
2) Animals move astonishingly quickly.
3) Poachers will prefer not to go about their business close to the main roads for obvious reasons.

So I do not have a big issue with tourists posting their sighting coordinates. How many times have those sighting boards in the camps been accurate for you? Ok a GPS is far more accurate, but by the time the coordinates appear here it will be way too late.

The coordinate postings will give you a better idea of how likely you will spot a certain animal in a specific area.

The GPS data captured by SANParks staff, should NOT be made public.

As I wrote in my first message, using sound judgement is essential.
Any publication of sightings coordinates that will make more harm than good for animals are unacceptable (but of course publication that will lead to an great attraction of tourist, and at the same time not giving away any info that will be of benefit for poachers, one should go forward with).

It is possible that no one is yet releasing sighting information at the spot, and I'm just pointing out that we should try to avoid a development towards just that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:29 pm 

peterv wrote:
The T4A software does not have mountain ranges, heights, or rivers.

Previous versions of the maps even showed contour lines near to the 4x4 trails, but these seem to have dissapeared - possibly due to the space the data takes.

As you probably know by now, the contours etc are now only shown on T4A Maps Pro.
However there is another option: AfricaTopo ZA.
http://madmappers.com/AfricaTopo/
This a transparent map set that can be overlaid onto other Garmin GPS maps on the GPS screen, adding contours, rivers, water areas, spot heights and trig beacons as shown on the RSA 1:50k topographic map set.
The tiles are small, so you can load the data only where needed (i.e. compatible with the older GPS models with limited map memory).

AfricaTopo is the perfect companion for T4A Maps.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

thnx for all your help.
made up my mind an bought the garmin gps map60CSx.

Only have to find out if it is possible to buy the maps of southern africa here in holland.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

jaapvandijk wrote:
thnx for all your help.
made up my mind an bought the garmin gps map60CSx.

Only have to find out if it is possible to buy the maps of southern africa here in holland.

Don't buy the Garmin maps, but the Tracks4Africa Pro maps. They are much cheaper and very detailed. I use them on my Garmin Quest and am very, very pleased with them. One thing the T4A maps can't do is auto routing, but in my opinion auto routing has limited use in S.A. because you won't know if the auto routing lets you drive through neigborhoods you'd rather avoid.

Contact me through a PM if you need more info on the T4A maps.

Cheers M

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good points madach .

The auto routing can be dodgy , and does indeed lead you through areas you would like to avoid .
Although having both the garmin map , and the t4a map is the best way forward , as the garmin 1 lacks detail in out of the way areas , but routing can really help you out if you get lost .

I think you can purchase and download the maps from garmins website (or the garmin map makers web site , I think its called mapsource) .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thnx you both for your help and info!

At this point I think T4A will be the best for me. Not that expensive and I always use a roadmap when travelling.
So the auto routing isn't that important to me.

Have to think things over.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If you have a good general road map , plus a detailed map of the area you are visiting , combined with the free t4a map you wont get lost .

Are you going to be doing a lot of touring in places like cape town , or jhb. If so the auto route , with all the detailed streets is great .
Remeber the t4a map is more about the smaller off the beaten track roads and routes , and the mapsource with auto route more about city roads etc .
I use my mapsource map extensively inside cities here , when looking for places , as is really has all the suburb roads etc laid out .

I would buy the garmin mapsource south african road map , and dl the free t4a map .
Although I dont know what the price diffs is .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

thnx for your ideas on this subject.
I'll think tham over.
Will see what I'll do.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:34 pm 

This is a new site that I have a hand in, but it's a work in progress. We offer free maps for use with a Garmin GPS. So far, we have a Cape Town street map, and a few tracks of some popular hiking trails in Cape Town. But we are looking to create more maps all the time (only been up and running for about 2 weeks). If you are looking for data for a specific area, let them know, I'm sure they can help you out.
www.gpstravelmaps.com

There's no autorouting, but it's free and might be what you're looking for?

Post subject: GPS maps
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:10 am 

Hi there

We are looking for GPS maps that we can download for the Kruger National Park. We looked everywhere but it seems impossible to find.It is a Satellite Navigation Garmin Quest, Is there anywhere where i can get this information?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:13 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Tracks4africa is your answer...

Now let me see where the topic about that went, and I´ll put these posts in there... Got it.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next