Skip to Content

All about GPS

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

Krokodile
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Krokodile » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:10 pm

Sorry, Bucky. Was the problem that the URL had changed or was there another problem?

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bucky » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:49 pm

Sorry , no it has changed to the new .com url .
Nothing else wrong :D

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby madach » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:48 am

Here's a small update about my use of a GPS last November.

Before my trip I bought a Garmin Quest and all of the Tracks4Africa Pro maps. The main reasons for buying a Garmin Quest were the following:

- use in my car for routing
- use on my motorcycle for driving preset routes
- audible route instructions
- ability to track travelled routes
- compatibility with tracks4africa maps

I'm very happy with the auto routing performance of this GPS. Although the screen is smallish it works really well.

Funny enough reception is better in Africa then in Europe. In Holland I get around 7 meter accuracy and in Kruger it was around 3 meters. It can take some minutes to pick up satellite reception which isn't that important in the bush, but annoying when used for auto routing.
In Kruger I used the GPS extensively in the Makuleke concession to track all the dirt roads we drove on. During the four weeks I used 40% of the track recording capacity (10.000 track points). The recorded tracks can be used in Google Earth to superimpose the GPS data on satellite maps (see this link). I haven't seriously used it off-road yet, I'll test that next November in Botswana.

I was amazed by the tracks4africa maps. They are very accurate, include all the roads in S.A. including some of the cities and best of all they include all the roads and major landmarks of the Kruger National Park :D I bought the pro maps because they include more detail, but the free basic maps will probably also work fine.

I can recommend this GPS to anybody looking for a car based GPS system. I say car based because it's not suited for hiking because it runs of an internal battery which can only be charged by a 220V socket or a car lighter. The Quest will run for about 16 hours on the internal battery so it's allright for one day hikes but not hikes longer then that.

M

Foxy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Foxy » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:16 pm

was amazed by the tracks4africa maps. They are very accurate, include all the roads in S.A. including some of the cities and best of all they include all the roads

I trust you are sending your tracks to tracks4africa as well which others will also be able to use.

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby madach » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:38 pm

Foxy wrote:
was amazed by the tracks4africa maps. They are very accurate, include all the roads in S.A. including some of the cities and best of all they include all the roads

I trust you are sending your tracks to tracks4africa as well which others will also be able to use.

For sure! I've already sent them an e-mail with the tracks but haven't received a reply from them yet.

wildjohn
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mapping sighting locations ?

Unread postby wildjohn » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:28 am

Hi all,

I did notice once a thread where someone recorded their animal sightings via GPS and could map them - cannot find it though. He/she started with a 'b' I think - I think he/she worked in agriculture ?

Can someone, maybe, admin assist me in plotting GPS locations onto a Kruger Map. They are all in excell s'sheet and simply need to be imported. Could be nice to present the map on the forum for interest sake and others can do likewise.

Thanks,

Yours,
w

gwendolen

Unread postby gwendolen » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:43 am

I put your question here in the GPS thread, WJ. I'm sure someone will be able to help soon.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:22 pm

Do you mean this one John? That was posted by Lam...
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

jaapvandijk
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby jaapvandijk » Sat May 20, 2006 5:51 pm

Hi all GPS users,

Back here in holland I know the prices of the GPS's you can buy here.
Does one of the Saffies know an SA-website with prices of GPS in SA?!?

I'd like to buy one myself but wanna know if I should do that in holland or in SA.

Thnx
Watching the slow flow of the river. A continues movement of water down towards the ocean. Like blood flowing through a vein, keeping the body alive.

Freda

Unread postby Freda » Sat May 20, 2006 6:05 pm

Have a look here.

We have a Garmin but only use it on the 4 x 4 trails and still get lost :cry:

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bucky » Sat May 20, 2006 8:18 pm

Personally , id buy it over there .
Then you can load all the maps and things b4 hand .

You need to do this from pc , if you buy mapping software .

lepus

Conceal GPS-sightings

Unread postby lepus » Mon May 22, 2006 10:53 pm

I'm perhaps somewhat over-cautious, on the verge to paranoid, but I would like to raise a finger of warning to the publication of GPS-databases of animal (especially mammal) sightings. These could make it easier for poachers to locate their targets.

It is great fun to use the GPS for documentation of sightings, I know. But try not to spread the information you collect without using some good judgement first.
“In the end, we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, we will understand only what we are taught"
Dioum

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Tue May 23, 2006 6:36 am

I agree with you 100%, Lepus. Thank you for sharing your sentiment.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

SIVA

Conceal GPS-sightings

Unread postby SIVA » Tue May 23, 2006 7:52 am

Hi Lepus

What GPS-databases are you talking about? Are we talking about tracking or public sightings?

My feeling on this is if you put these databases or data on the web with a live app you should have a 1-day delay on your data.

The only time I would worry about putting the x, y’s of an animal on the web is when a specific animal is being tracked.

jaapvandijk
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby jaapvandijk » Tue May 23, 2006 4:33 pm

Freda, Buckey,

thnx for your information and opinion.
i'll have a look over there and compare that to the dutch prices.
Watching the slow flow of the river. A continues movement of water down towards the ocean. Like blood flowing through a vein, keeping the body alive.

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”