Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: KNP to demolish its artificial water holes
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Question: Will the decision to demolish artificial water holes be re-considered if (when?) the fence is re-erected?

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

TR: Darrlin, lets go to Kruugha!
TR: Looking for them Tigers near Skoo-Ka-Zoo
TR: Impala Kisses and Banana Birds
KNP March 2014: Tamboti, Olifants, Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:14 pm 

Imagine if the same reasoning applied to man and no dams were built. I wonder how man and industry would cope in times of drought

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Some years ago, drought struck northern KZN and the hippos deserted Mkuze and the warthogs were wiped out completely!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It will save money. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

cheetah2111 wrote:
Oumie wrote:
Wait and see what happens when the next drought comes, then u will see how they will scramble to get water for the animals!!

What will happen when drought hits, is what should happen when drought hits.
The animals must fend for themselves :thumbs_up:

I have seen the devastation droughts caused in the past....animals died at a alarming rate! That is why the parks asked for boreholes to be donated. So it will be back to pleading for donations and boreholes :(

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hopefully the artificial waterholes were not blasted to smithereens as stated in the announcement, maybe they were just decommissioned and moth balled.

As Oumie stated, she saw the devastation of drought. So have I in the 70's and also in the 80,s; Kudu with pleading eyes, desiccated carcasses of Hippo in the veld, dead crocodiles in the dry beds of the Shingwedzi, Letaba, Olifants and Levhuvu Rivers, Elephant digging wells and then chasing away other animals who dared to come closer in an effort to share the precious commodity.

It is very easy to preach 'no interference with nature' in times of plenty . . . . ., wait til you smell the stench of rotting decay.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:28 am 

I will never forget seeing two hippos huddled together in one of the artificial water troughs on the s100 during one of the drought seasons in the early nineties.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:46 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
ecojunkie wrote:
During the last drought it was found that many animals died from starvation, not dehydration. The artificial water holes had led to animals being widespread even in the naturally drier areas, and when they tried to move to areas further from water to look for food there it was already eaten by animals based at a water point there. The 'buffer' areas had been eliminated by placing water too evenly throughout the landscape.

In a drought animals will die.....but the stronger ones able to tolerate moving a distance between water sources and food areas will survive and result in a stronger gene pool. That is the way of nature. The balance in numbers of zebras and wildebeest for example fluctuate according to dry or wet years.

I know we have restricted the ability of animals to move over huge areas as in the past by erecting fences, but that is why water points along river areas will be left in place so they can be used to supplement water if necessary.

:clap: :clap:

Let nature take its course. Times of drought are harsh and deadly, but that is the way it is meant to be.

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 am 

All these theories are all good and well but they are just that. Theories.

The fact remain that Kruger is a restricted area where wild life cannot move to greener pastures such as the case in central Africa. As soon as humans start to restrict or regulate animal movement, the humans will have to take responsibility for those animal lives. If that is by means of culling excess animals or supplying water to areas where surface water does not naturally occur, or even bringing in new genes for species such as Roan or Lichtenstein hartebees. These are all ways in which humans will have to interfere at some stage in an enclosed environment. Like running a massive game farm.

If these measures are not implemented Elephants and buffalo will overpopulate and destroy the bush and push other species out of their little space in nature.

To avoid accusations and people including myself from pointing fingers and asking questions about the reasoning behind decisions for doing things and not doing others. SANParks should have a clear plan where the lines of "nature on its own vs humans will interfere" are clearly drawn. And made public. Will a Uber greeny approach be followed and no animals will get culled ever even if they destroy the habitat of other species beyond repair and forcing those species into extinction?

Hiding behind reports and not answering questions will only make people who are entitled to their own views and some with loads of experience in conservation outside SANParks doubt the leadership and motives of SANParks.

ecojunkie wrote:
I know we have restricted the ability of animals to move over huge areas as in the past by erecting fences, but that is why water points along river areas will be left in place so they can be used to supplement water if necessary.

For instance it should be clear when SANParks will deem it necessary to supplement water? How many animals of each species can the park hold and what is a good ratio for a stable ecosystem. What measures will be used to keep the system as stable as possible. (everyone knows the park has way to many elephants but SANPArks will not do anything about it as it might anger some people).

In the original report it was stated that "Natural alternatives" will be used to replace the boreholes? This has not been explained and it is not clear if some roads will now close down or just become a deserted road with no water points or animals?

The problem with most scientific reports are that they are the opinion of the guy with the time to write it. If that person is a important person or his/hers views are values greatly then what they say will eventually become law. Allow the public to ask questions and be man enough to listen and then answer the questions If people are informed they are much happier and easier to deal with.

Just my 2c worth........

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I agree that informing the public is very important to bring a clearer understanding to the conservation management of the park.

However, I would say as a biologist, that both the understanding of ecological systems and how those systems operate in a managed area like KNP is unbelievably complex. In fact the understanding of these systems continues to evolve as more research is carried out over time. One must remember that whilst ecosystems have some patterns over time it is in a constant state of flux. There are so many factors such as the variable seasonal weather, longer term climate change, impacts of closed areas, disease outbreaks, fire events etc etc
It is the challenge of every biologist and ecologist to further the understanding into how all these factors interact within a particular ecosystem over any given period of time. The potential areas of study are infinite.
When a scientist publishes a paper they are not publishing their opinion. They are publishing the question they are addressing, the recognised scientific methodology used in the study, the statistical results of the data collected and then the interpretation of what those results show. Their work is then placed in context of other studies relevant to the question which have already been published. Conservation managers can only use good research that is available at the time to inform their decisions. Often subsequent research may point to a different approach or way forward and we have to live with the past decisions made.

Unfortunately, wild roaming populations of the past are no longer a reality. We have to manage these restricted areas as best we can and given the complexities involved it is one of the greatest challenges of our time. In our decisions we will win some, we will lose some. It is imperative that funding for research continues so that we can continue to hone our understanding and management skills.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

KNP work within Thresholds of Potential Concern (TPCs) and a Strategic Adaptive Management approach. It is a complicated system, but allows for adaptation and constant feedback loops.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am always amazed at all the fancy buzzwords and slogans used and flung left right and centre. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It is that second word in the following: 'conservation management'

My idea of torture would be forced attendance at management school where they endlessly assault you with all manner of acronyms in the most enthusiastic manner. :lol: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Give credit where credit is due, it at least sounds very impressive.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
The same here Gerhard. Listen to what some of my colleagues write about. "Unraveling the entrapment enigma; Reflections on the role of the mental health expert in the assessment of battered woman syndrome and coercive control advanced in support of a defence of non-pathological criminal incapacity."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next