Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Would you like to assist with Kids in the Parks?
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Scouter - a real delight to read :clap: . Or as the kiddies would say... is lekke man! :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: Jan Bok I'm very pleased to see that you are a safe riffle handler, very glad to see there are still people that have respect for firearms. :D :thumbs_up:
:hmz: Jan you must be from the old school. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Thanks WKK ! I'm glad you found it and are enjoying it - I hoped you might :D Maybe you could translate the grace in the next episode for me - yo u seem to have the lingo off pat :lol:

Once the goggas had been documented and released we all headed back to the hall for breakfast where the rest of the kids were waiting (patiently ha ha ) .... the oats were ready ( two x 1kgs boxes of oats at a time!) and Mariska and I started on the scrambled eggs .... unfortunately we did such a good job of not burning them ( cough cough ..... wonder what happened in the previous years ???) that it became one of our jobs for the 2 weeks .....

Mariska stirring a pan with about 40 odd eggs in ( and she doesn’t even eat scrambled eggs)

And the other finished product ...

One of the (many) things I will never forget about this whole experience is the kids saying grace before each meal ... Each school seemed to have it’s own particular grace that was said and this first group – Philandersbron Grade 5’s ( with a few Grade 4’s sprinkled in to make up the numbers) was by far my favourite .... ( I have to admit that it took a few times of hearing it for me to figure it, out as it was chanted in a rather flat monotone with the delightful accent of Afrikaans children speaking English as only the Northern Cape can, and they made it sound like one looooong sentence without taking a breath but I got it eventually :tongue: )

“Some people have food but no appetite,
Some people have appetite but no food,
Thank you God for me,
I have both
Amen”

OR
"somepeeplehafffoodbutnooappatiesomepeeplehaffappetitebutnofoooodthenkyouGodformeeehaffbothamen"

Another thing that almost made me cry was the first evening when one little boy asked Henriette " if I shower tonight am I also allowed to shower tomorrow " Gee, that one nearly killed me .... what we take so for granted was a thrill for this little guy :?

Breakfast over and all the washing up done to Jannie Bok’s satisfaction and the fun began in earnest – the kids were allowed to divide themselves up into 4 groups and they had to choose themselves a name. There was the usual bickering about who was going to be the LIONS :wall: and then we got started with the fun...

One group went to Henriette and learnt about “sand, sand, grains of sand”, and one group played an amazing Monopoly-style game that Henriette had invented about the different parks in the SANParks family with questions to be answered and some heavy fines dealt out if one landed on an ! .... who knew that the fine for getting drunk in the campsite and seriously annoying your neighbours with your excessive partying and loud noise could result in you having to go back 3 squares or that bringing your parrot into the park with you ( !?) was a more minor infringement and only resulted in you having to go back one square.... the kids absolutely loved it and learnt a lot about the different SANParks in the different Regions – well done Henriette !!

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:01 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Really enjoying hearing all about this Gill. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Val :wink: I must say Im loving giving you all a glimpse into the fun we had ...

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:09 pm 

Still following your report, thanks again :gflower: Preparing 3 meals a day for 60 people is quite daunting, I can totally relate...Myself and the SO literally passed out every night!

When we finally figured out what the kids were saying with grace, we totally cracked up too! Glad to hear that it wasn't only us having trouble understanding their special brand of English.. :tongue:

At the end of our 2 weeks, I was a complete nutcase, I would burst into tears at the drop of a hat, it took me all the way from Gemsbokplein to Nossob to compose myself! And I need to warn you, it stays with you long after that. I still get a huge lump in my throat when I think about those kids and how much we have to be thankful for.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

thanks bosticbudgie :D yip, can't ever remember being as shattered as I was after 2 weeks of KiP - the last night my head was literally spinning whenever I closed my eyes - and we all slept like the dead every night too :lol:

This really was a humbling experience - those kids have a special place in my heart and always will !!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:33 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Awesome report Scouter! :D :dance:
Looking forward to the next installment! :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much Jen - only on day 2 and day 2 was HECTIC so there's still lots to come ... sorting out photos as we speak :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You are doing such a good job with this report Scouter that they may just be oversubscribed for next time! :twisted:

Having me some of the kids at Tsammaland, I can only imagine the characters that must have been here and the fun you must have had. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: Loving the photos and the report back.

Well done to everybody who gave up their time to help :clap: :clap: ...sometimes I wish I didn't work! :cry:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Rookie :thumbs_up: - thank you and glad you are enjoying the exploits of a memorable 2 weeks ! And yes, Henriette will have to ration us to one week only :D

My job was to try and interest the kids in the camelthorn tree – and very interesting it was too actually – I learnt SO much in those 4 hours .... and I hope the kids learnt a tiny bit too ! We did 2 sessions with 2 groups then had a break for juice and an energy bar ( seriously?? thanks for that :lol: :lol: ) and then we did another 2 groups before lunch ...

I’m ashamed to say that by lunch on the first Tuesday I could hardly croak ... my voice was all but gone ! As some of you know, I am a lady of leisure – swanning around at home with nothing to do all day except sit on the couch and paint my toenails and such-like exhausting tasks :twisted: ( well, thats what our SO's seem to think) .... anyway, my actual point being that I do not talk much during my days – I do chat to the dogs and the cats and my horse and the peacock and the geese ( normally to tell them to shut up) and my folks and one of my kids if they happen to be around and to myself on rare occasions, and my SO when he eventaully staggers home from work after an exhausting day at the office – but I do NOT talk for 4 hours non-stop – least of all in Afrikaans !! I’m sure Henriette wondered what she had gotten herself in to with me, but I promise I did get better and more fluent as the days went on – I even found myself talking to Jannie and Vanessa in Afrikaans on the Fridays when I got back to TR :slap:

I learnt that camelthorns can grow to 17 m in height but that their roots can get to 40m long in search of underground water, and that the social weavers nest can have up to 300 occupants and that cobra's favourite snack in the Kalahari are poor puffies and that porcupines like to ringbark camelthorns and make them die and that you can make coffee out of the roasted seeds of the camelthorn pods and that the pods contain over 30% protein making them an important food source in the winter when food is scarce ... blah blah blah ... I won’t bore you with my whole hour-long lecture but you get the point – I learnt a LOT :thumbs_up:

Here is one of our boys showing off a new use for camelthorn seed-pods ( instead of making coffee out of them of course) ... they make gorgeous ear-ornaments ...

In the last few days before I left all the camelthorn trees around TR started to blossom ....

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks mites i am so enjoyiong this thread..and had a good laugh over the Grace.
Have taken 54 boys on tour and they always sung the grace ...in 4 parts .. sent thrills down the spine.. will teach it to you scouter .... :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great Hugh - I'd like to learn a new grace - I did contemplate trying to teach them " For health and strength and daily food we praise thy name oh Lord " which we always sing at scouts in a round of 2 or 3 and is so lovely, but eish, I had second thoughts and didn't have the guts to try ..... :redface: :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:08 pm 

A heart warming thread, agree Elizabeth :D
Thank you, Scouter and ALL involved with this wonderful project :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Its on Scouter but we will stick to one part ...!!
Its so nice to see such happy children
. Have you anymore photos .??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next