Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thansk Duques :-) Great to see the interest here!

Dianne

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good question DQ.

I think the answer to that is YES.

Obviously the Education Dept. needs to take a front seat in all of this but I would strongly suggest that SANParks, together with qualified conservationsts and even Honorary rangers should put forward a proposed syllabus to be compulsory in SA schools.

The ultimate aim being to cultivate an environmentally sensitive society, which values wilderness areas for what they are. The earlier this sort of education starts, the greater, deeper and more lasting the impresssion.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think Sanparks should be more involved in educating the youth about the great heritage they have. When I was 12 years old we went on a school trip to the KNP. I do remember this time as a fun filled holiday and yet I learned a lot about the parks and wildlife conservation. If the schools still go on trips I think the focus should be on this aspect as it is an ongoing battle to keep it in its natural state. The other trips such as visiting historical sights and political agendas could be done from the classroom. ( Not that they are less significant)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oom Kev :lol:
Sanparks should most definately be invoved in education. As a 12 yer old the headmaster of my primary school took us to Kruger for 5 days. We stayed in the huts in the Wolhuter circle at Pretoriuskop. We had to research the Park, the camps and picnic sites we were going to visit and all the animals we might see on our trip. And that was before we left. On return we had to present a detailed project with all that info plus a trip report for our 5 days. Quite a few decades later :lol: I still remember most of those details and part of my love of our wild life was triggered during that trip.
I believe that even if only 2 kids out of every 50 that are taken into a National park leard to love them, we are achieving something great. But just a drive thru is not enough. They must have a guide, who speaks their language to explain and intepret all they see. If we fail in this educational objective, I believe we will eventually loose our wild life

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes...... I think you get the picture!!!!!!1

Everything depends on the environment, and so education about it and using/managing/conserving it intelligently both for us and for future generations is vital. If children in particular develop a love for wildlife and the environment they will want to tread lightly on the earth, and to do their bit to conserve what we have left.
SANparks is in the ideal position to do this because they can bring groups into the 'classroom', make it practical and visual, and work with local communities to help them understand the value too (OK that is another topic, but it is all interlinked really)

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:28 pm 

@ DuQues, many thanks for reactivating this thread! I had missed it previously.

And yes, absolutely SanParks must be involved in education and community relations. Reading the CR information, there programs sound exciting, especially Imbewu (can't we have for us old folks too??), and have, in the past, seen, and enjoyed watching the Kids in Park at Letaba.

Some questions for oom Kev, has kids in the park been extended? And, what can we do to help with education and community relations? Any suggestions?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:21 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I also think that SANP should get more involved. Perhaps they should invest more time in something like this at their camps in Kruger in the evening. Present interesting talks in the demarcated areas where they once showed movies. Those places are really not utilized to their full capacity right now.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I remember my own school Kruger trip. It was just after Noah's flood :wink:

The highlight was the talk given by a ranger at Skukuza Camp. Many, many years later, my children went on exactly the same trip.

Sadly, the school no longer has these trips, as too many parents were finding it unaffordable. :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Firstly i definitely think SANParks should be involved in education. Being still at school, i have first hand experience to what the learners would want and what goes on. The schools at the moment just focus on leadership outings and basic education. My mom and dad both went on camps to kruger when they were young. But unfortunately the country has modernised since then and it has been put into most of the youth's minds that nature is boring. If SANParks were to get involved in education we would have many more and much more successful people wanting to work in nature. And the more scientists or biologists, the better! I have also noticed that the learners find biology very fascinating and the majority have chosen it as one of their subjects for the FET system. So, if sanparks were to get involved, the learners would become a lot more interested in the subject and excitement would build for their possible future jobs. I, unfortunately and along with a lot of people dropped science. Because it was too boring or difficult. Now im wondering if i made a fatal mistake. Because i want to study ornithology. So im sure if their involvement were to happen it would definitely improve the liking to science as a subject. And with passionate and knowledge-hungry future scientists and biologists, the future of nature and conservation would be in good hands and be looking very bright.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I totally agree with you Mark and it is so nice to see you are back on the forum...we have missed you :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

i am still in school and would love to be tought a little bit more about SA wildlife and what sanparks do.

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

kathy sa wrote:
I totally agree with you Mark and it is so nice to see you are back on the forum...we have missed you :clap:

:)

Thank you, kathy. I have missed you guys too. Glad to be back.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:27 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Nice to see you Mark :D

I agree that many young folk might think that wild life is uncool.
I think one problem facing the young today is that there is instant entertainment and the need for constant stimulation.

I am sure that it is playing a major role in the increase of attention deficit disorder, which seems on the increase. Going back to nature, although not easy in this case, might help.