Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Proposed Forum Project: Library for Tourist Attendants
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:26 pm 
Mods, if you do not mind, I’m going to post this under Arid Parks and not under “Wild projects” …simply because this is specifically relevant to the Kgalagadi, and not many people look at the “Wild Projects” section on the forum. If you however still feel you want to move, no problem! :thumbs_up: 8)

Anybody who have stayed in the Kgalagadi wilderness camps, and did the trouble to chat to the tourist attendant, will realize that these guys actually have a very lonely existence while doing service in the camps…and I suppose that is one reason why the staff turnaround of these camps are so high.
They are not allowed to have their families with them, they do not have tv’s or radios as a bit of entertainment, and the visitors to these camps are normally people who do so to “get away from it all” …will have a bit of a chat with the guy and then, rightful, enjoy the peace and quiet.
So these guys, after they have done their daily duties, have a lot of solitude time on their hand….I know for many of us that sounds like a dream existence, but suppose it will get somewhat boring in the end. :?
I have noticed many people bring them old newspapers or magazines…and would encourage others to do the same.
This however got me thinking about all our bookshelves filled with already read novels …my hubby finish a book every 3 weeks. :roll: Sure, you can go and sell them for something like R5 each to a second-hand bookshop, but maybe there is a more worthy cause for them….a library for the tourist attendants in the wilderness camps. :D
My suggestion is that all of us with books we no longer need, us ‘mites that are visiting the Kgalagadi to take the books to the park.

As I understand it, the guys from Grootkolk, Gharagab en Bitterpan all go past Nossob on their “off days”…or even go and stay there. The guys from Urikaruus and Kieliekrankie go to Twee Rivieren?
So for practical reason, there should possibly be a library in Nossob and one in Twee Rivieren, and these two can also swap out books if all the books at one have for example been read.

The thing is tho, you will have to get somebody at both camps who will be prepared to store and manage the lending out of the books…obviously want the books to be available to all the guys and not disappear? :?
What do you guys think about this idea?….Any ideas on how to put this in practice?…should this maybe become a project of the Virtual Honorary Rangers?

Post subject: Re: Proposed Forum Project: Library for Tourist Attendants
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good idea :D !

Anything that can help them is good. I don't think the books in French will be of interrest here though :? ...

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It would mean I'd donate used books to this cause instead of my local library, I have mixed feelings about this.

In any case, I have some books for you if this comes to fruition. Just need to arrange a collection etc.

Would there be a point to try and get some wildlife-specific books (field guides etc) included in this? I.e. to improve the attendants' knowledge of the area in which they work.

And now for my cynical question: do you think these books will be used?

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Excellent idea, Jumbo! :thumbs_up:

However, Pikasso has a point. I'd expect that most of the tourist attendants read Afrikaans, but perhaps not English? I always have what I call "airplane books" with me — altho I spend so much time in the park just looking and listening that I don't really read much whilst there — and I'd be happy to leave any that I'm done with if books in English would be useful?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:45 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Excellent idea Jumbo :clap:
Practical, cheap and very usefull

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:50 pm 
joshilewis wrote:
Would there be a point to try and get some wildlife-specific books (field guides etc) included in this? I.e. to improve the attendants' knowledge of the area in which they work.

Although I think field guides etc will be appreciated, I also believe that, like most of us, they also need something to take a break from their “day-job”

joshilewis wrote:
And now for my cynical question: do you think these books will be used?

If you see how happy they are just for a magazine…and how they read it from back to front….yep, they will use it. :D

@Arks…I actually spoke to Eric at Grootkolk about this and I specifically asked him about the English…according to him most of them can read English. He was actually very excited when I said I will try and gain support for such a project.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
I think they would rather have some best sellers :wink:

A point of collect for those who are heading for the KTP could certainly be arranged. Next year for instance when I intend visiting KTP I will be passing by Pretoria and if somebody would be willing to store the books I could pass by and pick them up. The ones who have books to offer would certainly have the possibility to take them to the point of collect. The same can be done in Johannesburg and Cape Town.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Cool.
I can understand the need to be away from one's day job from time to time (and maybe even more frequently :P )

As I wrote earlier, when this comes to fruition, I should have some books for you.
I hope they like Alistair McLean/Tom Clancy/John Grisham ;)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jumbo wrote:
@Arks…I actually spoke to Eric at Grootkolk about this and I specifically asked him about the English…according to him most of them can read English. He was actually very excited when I said I will try and gain support for such a project.

Thanks, Jumbo! Even if this plan hasn't yet been implemented, I'll at the very least have something to leave with Eric when I'm at Grootkolk :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:01 pm 

Jumbo wrote:

English will be OK, but the most are Afrikaans speaking in that area of the country. So give what you can.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

joshilewis wrote:
Cool.

Those are perfect time passers!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Micetta wrote:
joshilewis wrote:
Cool.

Those are perfect time passers!!

Yup, perfect 'aeroplane books' as someone wrote earlier. That's why I've got so many I'm willing to give away.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
Jumbo wrote:

English will be OK, but the most are Afrikaans speaking in that area of the country. So give what you can.

Point taken, Imberbe. However, my Afrikaans reading skills are still extremely limited ... :wink: so I can only contribute books in English

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
Jumbo wrote:

Hhhmmm, let me see if I can find my copy of "Fiela's se Kind" from school ;)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:20 pm 

:lol: Arks ... maybe there lies a challenge! :wink:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next