Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your chance to change the life of a child for the better
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:35 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Thank you for making a difference, Elzet. :D
Here it is.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:doh: :redface: Sorry Ods and Jenna... Glasses cleaned. :thumbs_up: Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:13 am 

Hi,

Sent an email last week to the vhr.kidsinparks address ...but no response as yet (probably a fault at my end).and in case its been lost in cyberspace i thought I'd post here.....a copy of the email......

I live in England and I saw the details about this project on the Sanparks forum and although I'm not a member of the forum I would like to donate to the project but can't see anywhere to send the money to!

I think its a very good project and I'd like to donate 100 rand a month for 12 months.....or I can give a single donation of 1200 Rand if thts better for you.....

Could you let me know the best way to send the money ......

We have visited Sanparks in the past and will be visiting Marakele (and other parks ) in Nov/Dec this year and this project seems a very good way to give something back to mark the pleasure ( and kindness) we have had when visiting the parks...

Apols if I've missed the payment details somewhere.....but if ypu could point me in the right direction I would be grateful....

regards

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Sparks what a great initiative it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling, we the junior rangers of the JHB HR region have had a few fund raisers for their field trip still to be planned for this year (incidentaly planning to go to Marakele), and I am sure if I put it to them we would also be only too happy to assist in this project as well. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Will come back here as soon as we have an agreement and a figure.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:12 am 

Hi cowley,

That will be very welcome, thank you! :D
The best and cheapest way for you would be via Givengain.
Here is the link.
I know some international members prefer to transfer directly into our bank account.
Here are the details: VHR Banking Details for all Donations
A once off donation will be great but if you prefer to do it monthly that is also perfect, whatever suits you best. :wink:

Please use your forum name and KIP as reference?
Many, many thanks! :clap: :clap:

Hi Mellory,

That will be wonderful, thank you! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:50 am 

Hi Jenb,

Many thanks for the details....

Once of donation of 1200 rand sent via 'giveandgain'...

Best wishes for the project

regards

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:52 am 

Thank you! :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:20 am 

I see this was dated 2010, is it still running?
If so how many we donate from the UK, or can we donate when we are over for our Kruger trip in July. I would be looking to make donation rather than a monthly commitment.
Thanks
J and P Nunn

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:29 am 

Hi jacquiandphil,

Yes, we are running the project right now. :D
Thank you! Your donation will be most welcome! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Maybe it is only me, but donating money to a good cause, I would like to know how it is proceeding. Have the visits started, if yes, how many kids have already been to the park and what was their reaction/interest.....if not, when does it take off?

Next payment arriving end of the month

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:54 pm 

Hi Micetta

The project has just been started. We will let everyone know when the first payments are made from our side, and when the first of "our children" start visiting.

You might find the following interesting. This is the venue which will be used for this project, and it was opened this week:

Quote:
Media Release: SANParks CEO opens state-of-the-art Educational Centre in Marakele
Back to all news

Date: 20th June 2011

The Chief Executive Officer of the South African National Parks (SANParks), Dr David Mabunda, officially opened a state-of-the-art Environmental Educational Center in the 67 000ha Marakele National Park outside Thabazimbi, Limpopo this morning (Monday 20th June 2011).

The Thutong Environmental Education Centre was made possible by a generous sponsorship of R 7,9 million from Anglo American Chairman’s Fund and Sishen Iron Ore Company Community Development Trust (SIOC-cdt) in partnership with Anglo America’s Kumba Iron Ore.

Speaking at the official opening of the centre, Dr Mabunda said this centre would serve as an epitome of change and will continue to act as a melting pot where young people can gather and share ideas on environmental challenges and opportunities. “It will act as a tool that will enhance the mitigation of the effects of climate change in our society.”

He said the national parks system provides an excellent opportunity for enhancing knowledge in environmental issues. “This centre comes at a time when the global community grapples with the effects of climate change and global warming due to the greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere.”

According to Dr Mabunda poverty and inequity contributes substantially to environmental degradation “therefore it becomes imperative to develop an environmentally literate cadre of learners and educators to combat the negative impact on the environment at the areas.”

He said the best way to get young people to understand and have respect for the environment in conservation areas is to start by making positive and visible changes in the environments where they live. “It is also encouraging to see corporate South Africa purposefully collaborating with public sector institutions in efforts of educating our youth in environmental issues.

“This contribution has also seen the employment of about 50 people during construction, therefore assisting in addressing the socio-economic challenges in the area.”

"As a mining company one of our key sustainable mining pillars is environmental management. We are fully committed in ensuring that minimal impact is caused to our environment. We are therefore very proud to support an initiative of this nature through Marakele in our area. We strongly believe that the Centre will go a long towards leaving a legacy for our future generations," said Cornelia Holtzhausen, General Manager at Thabazimbi Mine.

Marakele is situated in the heart of the Waterberg Mountains and conserve the most important species; like the yellowwood (National tree); protea trees; Waterberg cycad and many other wild animals including black and white rhinos; giraffes and zebras.

The centre will boast 16 rooms and 6 in-suite rooms to accommodate both teachers and learners. The centre also has an auditorium that can accommodate up to 140 people during environmental education workshops and functions. The Thutong EE centre is one of the nine EE centres in National Parks around the country.

Issued by:
Cassius Selala: Communications Officer, South African National Parks, Tel: (012) 426-5195 or 078-223-6682, E-mail: Cassius.selala@sanparks.org

Enquiries:
Reynold Thakhuli: General Manager Media; Events and Stakeholder Relations, South African National Parks, Tel: (012) 426-5203 or 073-373 4999, E-mail: Reynold.thakuli@sanparks.org

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Imberbe! I have a few questions, but I will send them directly to Reynold Thakhuli.

If the center is finished, maybe we can get a photo or three? :wink:

Quote:
The Thutong EE centre is one of the nine EE centres in National Parks around the country.

Where are the other eight?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:38 pm 

Micetta, I replied to you here.
Quote:
No, the day trips have not started yet, we need to see how many kids we can sponsor then the planning will begin. The park has everything in place already, all we still need is the money to make it happen.

Please see the first post in this topic for pics of the center. It was taken before the official opening but it still looks the same . :wink:

The following amounts received:
4X4FABFENDER R 200.00
4X4 DREPAN - R 200.00
4X4BUSHSKRIKE - R 1 000.00
4X4.THYSLEROUX. - R 200.00
4X4...NOORDHOEKNIC.. - R 400.00
4X4, TATTADOEPIE - R 200.00
TUFFSTUFF 4X4 - R 8 000.00
4X4 JAKKIP - R 200.00
Keith Newnham - R 200.00
4X4, MARTINJ - R 240.00
4X4 RAGGIEJACK - R 500.00
4x4 Madota F250 - R 1 000.00
David Miller (Givengain) - R 1200.00

An additional amount of R 12000.00 pledge from Tuffstuff 4x4.
Sponsorship from the SANParks forum - R 9623.96 (481 kids)
Sponsorship from the 4x4 Community - R 40 151.00 (2007 kids)
Total sponsorship - 2488 kids!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:43 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
Wow, this is just amazing ! A heartfelt thank you to everyone! :clap: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

JenB wrote:
Micetta, we were fortunate to be there while one trip was underway. At the moment the courses are 3 days long. Marakele is aiming to broaden the experience to include more kids hence this project which will be only day trips.

So yes, in a way the project is already underway.
No, the day trips have not started yet, we need to see how many kids we can sponsor then the planning will begin. The park has everything in place already, all we still need is the money to make it happen. :D

Sorry Jen! You posted it the day I went on holiday and with the e-mail notifications not working...... :whistle:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next