Find information and join us for the next forum meeting

Moderator: Crested Val

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Forum Olifants River Back-pack Trail

Unread postby G@mespotter » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi all :D

LONG time no writing here!.... Well, didn't expect it but I just don't have the time to write that much :cry:

Anyway, news is we only have 7,5 weeks left before we go on this LONG EXPECTED and awesome trail! It looks like Ndloti is 'selling' his place currenly, so I will put the newest group compilation down as soon as I know it's final. Still have an extra place open..

Maybe Zorro can tell us when is she coming to the JHB area, so we can meet up!? If any questions, just post it here, I might not write that much, but I'm still around :wink:

Talk later :thumbs_up:
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:34 am

One can look on an certain outdoor magazine website for trail food suggestions , GS & Sawubona will be familiar with it , and take my advice , pack lightly .... only one set of spare clothes , when buying it is well worth it to get as lightweight equipment as possible .
The irradiated freeze dried type of food is highly recommended .
Take Game cooldrink powder , the taste of water purification tablets gets a bit much on the second day .
As said before , a folding stool is most usefull .
As far as aesthetics is concerned , a plastic bag for refuse and some methylated spirits to burn used toilet paper is a good idea .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Vlekkie

Unread postby Vlekkie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:43 am

Hi Sawubona, that steak will be nice, but when we did the hike last year, we took some of those freeze dried packets of food where you just add hot water, and must say it was quite good.

We normaly pack our steaks and chops, for our hikes but, they told us that it is not wise, to carry meat with you, and the fire food is only used for atmosphere, you can think how the bush will look like if you make a big fire every night for a braai.

We also for lunch had tuna packets with some salt biscuit, two minute noodles, salami ...........

We also had for breakfast oats - just add hot water, coffee - you get those individual packets and some rusks.

It is also nice to have some apples, crisps, and something sweet for the day, pack a packet for everyday with some things to eat so you know what you have for the day to nibble one, also take game to mix with the water, just to add all those things you sweat out.

The best advise I can give you is, don't pack to much stuff, the lighter your backpack, the more you are going to enjoy your hike.

Vlekkie

Unread postby Vlekkie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:59 am

Wow........ :huh:
Of course you should take your own kit with you with headache pills and stuff aswell, but you carry a BIG First Aid kit with you, so ye you might as well use it .........

As you can see, in the red block the First Aid Kit, you carry with you on your hike.

Vlekkie

Unread postby Vlekkie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:34 am

Just to make myself clear, you should take your own medical aid kit with you, but they wont mind if you use their medical aid kit.

I propose, that between the 8 of you, you should pare up and divide the medical kit in two, one having the pills and stuff and the other one with the plasters and stuff, indoing so you minimize your weight ........

Just a suggestion.

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:03 pm

Riverrat wrote:Damn I can't wait!!!

Hah! Nice to hear, well I can't wait and can't sleep :twisted: :lol: Man, after all the planning hassles and a few setbacks, we are 'this' close from the trail. I must admit, as for Jan, Sawubona and myself, I have rarely seen such excitement. The planning and preparation was as much fun! We all enjoyed it! :whistle:

Riverrat wrote:And I've just been advised that I have a relief to cover for me at work while I'm on leave...phew, that was a close shave! :shock:

RR, Good to hear this :shock: :dance: I'm glad everything is still working out 8) I sincerely hope that we can all finally go on the trail next week as planned!

I have a few new updates which we will discuss in more dept at the group meet on Saturday...All I can say now is that the group composition has changed slightly: my sister and her friend (female)decided last minute to join our group! I'm sorry to say, but Zorro from Nelspruit informed me that due to circumstances she will no longer join us :? However, I still owe her a detailed trip report :wink: This means the FINAL group is back on a total of 8, cosisting out of:

1. Riverrat
2. Chris
3. Frank
4. Sawubona
5. Jan
6. AlextheLion
7. Marijke
8. G@mespotter

Riverrat did some 'research' for us, and we were told that our guides will be Donavan Terblanche and Julie Wolhuter! So, this is the final group, and hopefully if nothing serious happens, we will all start the trail next week Wednesday :dance: :dance: 8) 8)

The ladies joining lately do face a few challenges to be up ready & fit, but I'm trying my best to prepare them :thumbs_up: My backpack is already packed, weight looks fine, and I only need a few minor things :)

Despite the setback we had, I'm glad the puzzle is finally falling together. I'm sorry for those who really wanted to come along but couldn't because of all sorts of different reasons... I really hope you can make it in future.... I didn't buy all the stuff for only ONE walk :lol: :wink:

Finally, thanks for all you guys who participated in the discussions, preparation, planning tips etc! Also, thanks for the fun and joking :thumbs_up:

Ndloti, Vlekkie, Zorro, MM, BH, MG (and if WTM is still around reading) and all others, thanks for the comments, I'm sure if everything goes as planned the next 7 days, we will enjoy every second of it!

AS BH reminded me this week, all I can think is:
ARE WE THERE YET!!??!!??
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:22 pm

Bathing , Olifants backpack trail Sept 2008 .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:48 pm

You guys must really enjoy the trail! It is a wonderful opportunity only a few lucky people can experience! I do hope that everything will be great!

Yes, the river is flowing strongly at the moment! A real pity in one sense, since it is brilliant to be able to walk in the river it self! We did that last year and had excellent Buffalo and Croc. sightings!

But the river flowing strongly is just as great! Keep an eye open for those Pels!

BTW, please chase a few special animals up stream! :twisted: We will be walking up stream of you from the 6th!
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Imberbe

Unread postby Imberbe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:11 am

We will be walking in the Klasserie for four days, also next to the Olifants. Can't wait!

You guys know this already ... but just to remind you ... watch your feet! That is the single most important factor on the Olifants Backpack! If it gets wet, stop and dry it. If it hurts, stop and give attention. Do not walk bare feet in "camp"! Even experienced guides have battled with their feet on this trail.

The most adrenaline walking next to the Olifants is in those reeds! They are like a curtain, hiding even the biggest! It can at times be real fun and really nerve wrecking at the same time.

I can't wait for the TR! Bring back the photos! :dance:
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:09 am

Hi all :D

I'm ready to leave, packed and prepared! It looks like my backpack is goona weight around 16kg :whistle: Lets hope we don't get too many blisters. The weather looks fine (excellent actually) as it will be 29/30 degrees, and partly cloudy :dance: No rain predicted, so lets hope the best!

First night, we will stay in Letaba, then drive down to Olifants on the morning of 1 April :dance: After the walk, 3 nights in Mopanie to rest a bit :twisted: :tongue:

Hope to chat soon, and thanks again :thumbs_up:

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:59 am

Hi there :D

Just quick: We had a unforgettable tremendous fabulous Backpack Trail, encountered elephants, LOTS of buffalo, 6 lions and a leopard on foot....all very close!!!!! (all nice pics)

Also saw lichtenstein's hartebeest (with pic) and serval kitten (with pics) OH YES to both! and many more fabulous stuff. Too much to name, but definately one of my favorite trips in Kruger!!

Unfortunately, I have 2 tests next week, so anyone watching 'my' topics for trip reports etc: hold on to 16 April, from then on I should have enough time. We had an excellent group, and all enjoyed it to the fullest! Thanks again for Donavan Terblance and Julie Wolhuter. :dance: :dance: Exceptional guides :clap:

For those who missed it: It's THE ULTIMATE, and after having done this trail, I'm sure MANY MANY more will follow :dance:

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi there :D

Finally, I have started my Trip report. Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30671&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

And Zorro :) It took a while but here it is!

:thumbs_up:

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi guys,
GS, great trip report thanks (think its in another thread but anyway).

I'm doing the backpack trail from 6-9 September :D

Would those of you who've done it recommend taking a chair/stool? I've never hiked with one before, but can understand one might want a bit of comfort at the end of a long day's walk.

Also, what water treatment did you guys take? I've read that you used purification tablets. Did you use a flocculent as well? Did you filter water to remove solids?

Thanks...
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:26 am

I would recommend a small folding camp chair , at the end of the day i was a bit tired and stiff , so sitting on the ground was uncomfortable .
I used water purifying droplets , no floculants or filtration - I experienced no no ill effects , though the water tasted a bit strange without flavourant powder .

Though not mandatory I took some lantern oil in order to burn used toilet paper - animals tend to dig up unburnt paper , rather unsightly in the wilderness .

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:52 am

Hi joshilweis :D

Great to hear you decided on the most thrilling activity....! :thumbs_up:

To answer your questions, I personally indeed think it is worth to take a stool/chair with. I bought the green Leisure-Quip one from Outdoor warehouse, with a backrest. Weights 1.1 kg's and I think it's definately worth it. Although one night I struggled with it in soft mud.... :lol:
I had a backpack of 18kg, + extra tent & stuff (2,5 kg) from my sister, and had no problem. But then again, I'm 21, so it shouldn't. I would advice a backpack of 20% of your body weight, max 17 kg....

The purification: I had tablets and drops with me, yet I only used the tablets, as Donavan (our leading guide) said it unnecessary to use both. The drops contain too much iron, and continuous use is not healthy :thumbs_up: Tables were real fine, however, take some Tang or Game flavour with to get rid of the chlorine taste.... :thumbs_up:

You can use a cloth covering the top to prevent solids from entering the bottle, but I didn;t even bother and really had no problem doing so. Just fill up any empty bottle at a 'break' as the chlorine must be in the bottle for 30min before usage 8)

Ndloti: we were specifically instructed to BURN the paper under any circumstances, and I agree it's a very good practice :)

Shoes: shoes, hiking socks and gaiters are IMHO the most imporatant. Shoes must be worn in, but not too old. The sand along the river is sometimes extensive, and it goes where it shouldn't, and can prove problematic with gaps between the sole and the shoe. Make sure they're good! DO BUY FALKE hiking socks, the thick ones. They might seem too thick, but they are specially designed for hiking, and although they look too 'warm' they are the best, preventing sweating as much as possible. Then gaiters: don't FORGET them, it's just a pleasure to walk with them, and not having to stop every 10 min cleaning shoes from seeds, sands and thorns.

These are the basics, stick to that and ENJOY :D

I'm Overly OVERLY jealous :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Can't wait to go again. Leave the warm clothes at home, you won't need it!

:thumbs_up:

Return to “Meets & Greets ”