Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Butterfly Field Guide - Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:33 pm 

Will I be able to buy a decent butterfly field guide In Kruger Park that would be suitable for a stumbling amateur?

As I am coming from UK I won't get an opportunity to source one elsewhere and I haven't left enough time for snail mail.

Regards,

Post subject: Re: Butterfly Field Guide - Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:09 pm 

Hi Alf

There is an old publication on the butterflies of the Kruger National Park by Van Son and Kloppers, but I suspect it is out of print and not available anymore. The alternative is to get Steve Woodhall's guide to Butterflies of South Africa, which is the most comprehensive field guide for butterflies at the moment. It should be readily available at most book stores accross SA, and maybe even at Skukuza and the park gates. If you are really urgently looking for a list to the common butterflies, and you're not interested in the complete field guide, PM me and I'll send you a list with photographs of the 68 species I got during a butterfly survey in March 2009, but it obviously doesn't contain the same info as a field guide and is not complete.

Post subject: Re: Butterfly Field Guide - Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:56 pm 

Thanks Bushsnake for the information and the offer. I'm not desparate but do like to know what it is that I'm looking at and hoped that a simple guide to the common species might be available. My skills are such that a complete field guide to SA butterflies would probably confuse me more than it would enlighten at the moment.

I'm leaving in 2 days so I'll just have to take the consequences of leaving it so late, having been concentrating on my bird lists to date.

Best regards,