Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Creepy-crawly phobias
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

WTM, you made me think of something else. I end up having to remove the poor things from the tent because a certain member of the family is terrified of them! :D
Anybody brave enough to admit an irrational fear of one of our KNP critters?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

well i know of someone who REALLY hates the solifuges that are often found at Shingwedzi flying along at night..... but then they are not exactly the cutest and nicest of arthropods... especially when they eat :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:04 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I'm not sure of the English name but "rooi roman" gives me the jitters. My wife on the other hand love them and cannot wait to see one!

Post subject: critters
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:40 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
As far as the "rooi roman" it's the other way around with us.

I am absolutely terrified of frogs and mice. It is my "achilles heal". I'll scream like a grade 10 girl if I'd come across any of these 2. I'll refuse to enter my tent if it got in there. I'll sleep outside! I will pack up my tent and all with that thing inside.

Other stuff don't bother me much. Although it facinates me alot, I am however "versigtig" about venomous snakes, especially after seeing that almost 3m long black mamba near Shingwedzi.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Locusts and big moths give me the hibby jibbys! I too have been know to sound like a little girl in distress when confronted by any of those!

Post subject: Scorpions
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Almost forgot one thing I am very wary of: Scorpion, shake out those shoes in the morning! One reason I don't wear shoes while in the park except for walks and hikes. Those dudes sting the living :evil: out of you! It's probably close to giving birth or passing kidney stones.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I can't think of anything I'm really phobic about, but I do hate mozzies! If some of them didn't carry malaria I wouldn't mind them so much, but avoiding being bitten by them can prove almost impossible. No, I've never yet caught malaria, having lived in the Lowveld all my life, but I do find it incredible that we can land people on the moon, but can't wipe out this disease which kills so many people each year.

Oddly the only non venomous creature I steer clear of is found up in Joburg - the parktown prawn! Damn I hate those ugly little critters! :oops:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Meg I agree.!!Those things are yugggghhh. They are really freaky looking-have you seen the movie Alien?

Post subject: Koring kriek
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:03 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Has anyone experienced a park town prawn plaque in the Kruger? I did in May 2003. They were everywhere! As they are cannibalistic they were eating their buddies as the traffic killed them. Some birds had a feast!!

Post subject: Re: Koring kriek
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Urgh! Rather you than me!

Oddly in Feb 2004 we did experience a tiny frog plague. At certain waterholes they were everywhere, all over the roads - little black ones. I love frogs, and was determined not to ride any over - lucky it wasn't peak season, we could have caused a real traffic jam :D

Post subject: Spiders
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:10 pm 

Spiders!!! :evil: , even the word makes me scared.
I have no idea why a big guy like myself is so scared of a tiny little spider, but I am.
I was once at the Vaal dam and I was bitten by button spider.
I thought I was going to die. I saw my life passing me by. Only to be told that, that certain button spider was not poisonous.
But its like they say its not the poison that kills its the fear of dying that kills

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:28 pm 

Hi All

Its got to be snakes, they're beautiful creatures but am petrified of them.Had a close encounter with one(not sure what type?) at Satara. On the usual trip to the toilet at 3 in the morning with my lady, when all of a sudden she' s nearly jumping over my head, turning around to see what all the fuss is about theres a nice brown snake casually moving off. I had stepped over the snake not seeing it, only for my lady to nearly stand on it :shock: . As you can imagine im wide awake when going to the toilets at night nowadays :lol: .

Regards
Paul

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
Has anyone experienced a park town prawn plaque in the Kruger? I did in May 2003. They were everywhere! As they are cannibalistic they were eating their buddies as the traffic killed them. Some birds had a feast!!

Hi Wildtuinman
We saw a huge number of them when we were driving from Pafuri gate towards Punda Maria. It was a bit like driving over bubble-wrap. My husband calls them "Jesus beetles" because when you see the size of them you exclaim "Jesus! What was that?" lol
Oops, should have said: that was in April 1999

Post subject: Ugly Noo Noos
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My husband and I bought an 80 year old house in an old part of JHB and the entire bond could be counted up in Parktown Prawns!!!!!!!!!! It took 5 years to cure this place of the plague - snail bait is the best. Now we have an agreement, peoples inside, gogos outside. Did you know that came to JHB via the white beaches of KZN? When Sir Herbert Baker made sandstone and with white cement/grout fashionable the beach sand was railed up for building purposes with the beasties snugly ensconced. That was 100 years ago and they are still enjoying the highveld winters! No natural enemies, seagulls are a recent import and have not yet rediscovered the prawn delight.

Nothing - not even tourist speedo crack, is that ugly in the Kruger!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:03 am 

wildtuinman wrote:

Ugly sighting when you see it. We saw it in April 2004 between Orpen Gate and Satara.

And are they juicy or what!!

BTW, if you should bring a Scorpion to me I indemnify myself from any harm that may come to you or that ugh!! thing!!!.

They glow in the dark under UV lights. If an atomic bomb had to drop they and cocroaches would most probable be the only things to survive.

And have you seen them with babies on their back...

AAAGHH!!! :(

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts, in the meadows, nice clouds......