Skip to Content

Accommodation - ask all your questions here

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Johann
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Johann » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:40 am

On my last couple of trips I've taken units with a kitchenette and bathroom.
Towels,soap and toiletpaper are provided. Changed daily if you wish so, but preferably not, we need to conserve as much water possible.

Units with cooking facilities vary as some have hotplates and sinks and some only have sinks. The ones I used all had hotplates. Units with kitchenettes include the following: (electric sometimes) kettle, crockery & cutlery (set of four: plates, side plates, pudding bowls, glasses, cups & saucers, knives & forks, spoons and teaspoons), 2 pots and frying pan, salad bowl, bread knife, tin opener, water jug and braaitongs.

I think that's all of it. If anything is short you can just report it to reception and they will try to replace it as quickly as possible.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Shidzidzii » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:26 pm

BUSHBRO this answer is more to help others also wondering what the accomodation has , as you say you will be prepared .

The communal kitchen blocks have sinks for washing up , 2 plate stoves for cooking side dishes etc and a boiling water dispenser ( you can fetch boiling water in a thermos flask ) to make beverages . Always one close to your bungalow and a great place to talk to other people about who saw what.

All bungalows have braais - supply your own wood/charcoal
firelighters , matches and tongs (or use a fork etc) .

Some bungalows have own kitchenettes usualy with utensils .
You can hire utensil sets at reception offices but it is a "schlep" and you must hand them in next morning which wastes game viewing time. It is worthwhile having your own set
You definatly need your own utensils at picnic spots so in my opinion take a set with. You can buy them in hypermarkets cheaply.

Picnic spots all have skottel braais for hire and this tradition (bush-breakfast) should not be missed. They also have basic kitchen wash-ups etc. Invariably these attendants would like to do your washing up for a fair consideration .

The most important appliance is the fridge to keep food fresh and the drinks cold . Every single accomodation unit (except Balule ) has one with a small deep freeze compatment .

The one piece of equipment all visitors should take is the humble coolbox . It is necessary to keep food cool between overnight camps , and also to have a supply of cool drinks at stopping (get-out) places . Buy one or two at hypermarkets when you get your utensils is my advice.

Otherwise the KNP has enough facilities including shops to supply your needs.

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 am

Utensils includes everything you would need in a kitchen - including dish washing soap and cloths etc.
If the bungalow has a kitchen it will be fully equipped.
You just have to bring your food, drinks, cooler box, clothes and towels for swimming.
I don't think paper towels are supplied but loo paper is.
I would take an extra roll of loo paper just in case there is none at the picninc sites.

Some bungalows (not the budget huts) have a communal kitchen, you will have to bring your own utensils.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Kingfisha » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:22 am

HI Lovehyena (love your name)!

There are pools at Letaba and Pretoriuskop as well.

Regarding utensils, there are certain things I always take with me - it seems they are the popular items that go home with some of the guests:
Peeler
Corkskrew/bottle opener
Tin opener
Braai tongs
Steak knives / sharp knife for cutting veggies etc.

alf

Re: Camp accommodation question.

Unread postby alf » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:20 am

Here is a pic of the BD4 bungalow at Mopani.

Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

mitch

Re: How to Reserve a Specific Chalet or Tent?

Unread postby mitch » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:12 am

I have also been pondering about this...

Can you only contact the camps a few days before your arrival, or is it possible to ask for specific bungalows/tents more than a month in advance?

Thanks a mil.
Crocodile Bridge 2 nights 26/12/2012
Tamboti 2 nights 28/12/2012
Satara 5 nights 30/12/2012
Skukuza 3nights 04/01/2013
Malelane 4 nights 07/01/2013
Protea Hotel Kruger Gate 2 nights 11/01/2013

francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: How to Reserve a Specific Chalet or Tent?

Unread postby francoisd » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:37 am

I usually send my request 6-8 weeks before my arrival date
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

Foxy

Re: Safari tents

Unread postby Foxy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi Cashrandra

Safari Tent (CTT4)

- 1 bedroom with 4 single beds
- Communal ablutions
- Communal Kitchen
- Fan
- Fridge
- No utensils

Base rate: R295.00, Adult share rate: R84.00, Child share rate: R42.00
Base rate number of people: 2, Max number of beds/people: 4

Safari Tent (CTT2Z)

- 1 bedroom with 2 single beds
- Communal ablutions
- Communal Kitchen
- Fan
- Fridge
- No utensils
- Unit accessible to the mobility challenged

Base rate: R295.00, Adult share rate: R84.00, Child share rate: R42.00
Base rate number of people: 2, Max number of beds/people: 2

Safari Tent (LST3Z)

- 1 double bed
- Fan
- Fridge
- Hotplate
- Single sleeper couch
- Sink
- Unit accessible to the mobility challenged
- Utensils
- Wc and shower

Base rate: R675.00, Adult share rate: R216.00, Child share rate: R108.00
Base rate number of people: 2, Max number of beds/people: 3

You can check under which will give you descriptions of the accommodation and prices. Just select the camp and check the descriptions and photos of each type of accommodation

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/to ... bility.php

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Safari tents

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:39 pm

outside a tent in the early morning. (Croc Bridge)

Skukuza, inside and outside tents.

I love the tents. The outside comes in. It's best value, great fun, best of both worlds...
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Tony Park

Re: Self-catering provisions?

Unread postby Tony Park » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:28 am

Yep, you can always make a meal from what's in the parks shop. Fresh stuff (fruit and vegetables) can sometimes be a bit hit and miss, and sometimes a bit old by the time it reaches the park, so if you see something you like, buy it rather than assuming it will still be there (or ediblea) a couple of days later.

Having said all that, considering where the park is, the shops are well stocked. You can also buy alcohol, toiletries and just about anything else you're likely to run out of/forget on holiday!

There are even some very good books in the stores! :lol:

JimS

Accessible accommodation for wheelchair users

Unread postby JimS » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 pm

From reading some of the posts on the topic of accessible wheelchair accommodation at the various camps in Kruger there appears to be confusion on what is available and how to book the accommodation. The term "accessible" is open to interpretation as to the level of accessibility provided.

The suitability of certain accessible units will depend on the extent of the disability of the wheelchair user. Some units are totally accessible, especially if the wheelchair user has a carer to assist. Other units are only suitable if the wheelchair user has a certain amount of independent mobility.

One of the best sources of information is http://www.disabledtravel.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is an approved site by SANParks. This website has photographs of accessible accommodation in most of the Kruger camps plus a description of the accommodation and facilities provided. The website also covers other National Parks.

In our many trips to the Kruger Park my wife has photographed the accessible accommodation and sent the photographs to Karin Coetzee for inclusion on the website http://www.disabledtravel.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is essential that accessible accommodation is reserved in advance of arrival at a camp. Accessible accommodation units are reserved for wheelchair users until a few weeks before occupation, if these unit are not reserved then they are open for the general public to book.

Bookings for accessible accommodation must be made directly with the National Parks Board and cannot be made with any of the booking agents.

SusieB

Re: Accommodation - ask all your questions here

Unread postby SusieB » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:54 am

jhawktx wrote:We are planning to stay in Lower Sabie and hope to get either a BD2U (6 units) or BD3U (20 units). I have the detailed map of the camp and it lists all the unit numbers. Unfortunately it doesn't say which of those numbers equate to the unit type (BD2U for example). Does anyone know which numbers equate to BD2U and BD3U? Thanks.

I believe a number of units have been upgraded since the map was published. Following the upgrade BG3U and BG2U may now reclassified as BD3U and BD2U.

Elsa

Re: Accommodation - ask all your questions here

Unread postby Elsa » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:39 am

Susie, if I am not mistaken and from what I have read all the units from #'s 3 to 22 are in fact the new up graded 3 sleepers.
On the map they are still marked as BG2U
We stayed in # 22 in March this year, a 3 sleeper and very nice.

There are some pics of the units Here

@ Noeg, I think Susie has answered most of your queries, and with regards adding a 2nd child to a 3 sleeper, I would also like that clarified as my son is in the same predicament.
Other than that, keep checking the reservations, as often accommodation comes up at the last minute due to cancellations.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Carole

Difference between Elsie Clarke and Semi Luxury Riverside?

Unread postby Carole » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone knows if there is much difference between the Elsie Clarke accommodation and that of the Semi Luxury Riverside Bungalows in Skukuza? Both seem to be nice lookouts.

Many thanks.
:wink:

Carole

Bushcraft

Re: Difference between Elsie Clarke and Semi Luxury Riverside?

Unread postby Bushcraft » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:07 pm

Hey Carole;

I have stayed in most of those front units.

The Elsie Clarke cottage has a slightly larger lounge when compared to the neighbouring 5 x GC4V units, but they are the same price. The one advantage of the Elsie Clark cottage is that you are semi private on the 1 side, just like the last GC4V unit (221). The GC6 unit is also fairly cool, but it’s right next to Moni House, which does seem to have a few party animals every now and then.

Return to “Kruger National Park”