Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What if it is 1956 today and you are in Kruger …
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Imagine it is 1956 today and you have just entered the Numbi Gate for a three week visit in the Kruger. How do you think the three weeks will be compared to a visit today in 2014? Let me try to imagine how Kruger was in 1956:

No cell phone, IPad, notebook chargers and adapters to pack as these were non- existent in 1956. As there were no Facebook or Twitter in Kruger I would have bought writing paper, envelopes and stamps at the reception shop in Pretoriuskop to mail letters to family back home to let them know that we have arrived safely. Remember it is 1956.

In Pretoriuskop we would have probably had lunch under the trees. I guess the lunch would have been sandwiches, boerewors and hard boiled eggs and strong black coffee brought from home. No juicy flame grilled hamburgers with a crushed black pepper sauce at the Wimpy .

At Skukuza we will probably have to fill up the big old Plymouth with Pegasus petrol from a hand pump. No environmental friendly petrol at an electrified petrol station and no Prado’s, Jeeps and Landrover’s with internet access, Facebook and Youtube available inside the air conditioned vehicle.

In Satara we will treat ourselves and order lunch from the Satara Restaurant under the large verandah covered with the red roof and enjoy the lunch from the set menu at 5 Pennies per meal - Elephant meat stew, rice, gravy and two cooked vegetables and red jelly served with slightly burned custard and condensed milk tea. No Mugg and Bean food, Latte’s or Debonairs pizza in an air conditioned environment.

How do you think the three weeks will be compared to a visit today? And what would you have packed in the place of the cell phones and laptops that we pack today? And would you have survived three weeks without Googling even once in the Kruger?

Post subject: Re: What if it is 1956 today and you are in Kruger …
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I was in Kruger in about that time and we stayed at Malelane ( school trip) so it was beeeeg tents . food was served under a huge tarpaulin. Shop hours were only about a hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon and they sold mixed pickles condensed milk Sardines marie biscuits and that's about all oh and few souvenirs . No electricity and just the paraffin lamps ..... and it was lovely ...I would love it to be that way again.Oh and I would love to be that age again too !!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:47 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
GM that would be sheer bliss, remember the radios the camps had at reception, the only means the had to communicate with other camps

I would go to Olifants and have supper in the restaurant, white tablecloths and silver cutlery, waiters that served you and looked after your every need, maybe the restaurant wasn't yet but I'm dreaming of those days long long ago

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:38 pm 

A similar sort of topic Old School vs "New"

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Old school for sure. No tarred roads, communal fire at the restaurant in the evenings, the big pots with genuine leadwood fires at the picnic sites, no bloomin TV, radio, cell phone or other electronic gadgets. It were the days when the entire neighborhood gathered around you and assist to pitch your tents. It were the days when people had respect for each other and adhered to the rules.

Food consisted mainly of dried fruit, biltong, tinned food and rusks. And of course home made cookies. Fresh meat lasted the first few days. Water was kept cool by pouring it into a canvas bag that was attached to the side mirror.

How did we survive that? Well, our over 50's are still around aren't we? Some of the roads were closed during summer months and the entire region above Olifants were closed then. Some of my older maps does not even feature the northern area.

I am fortunate enough to be invited to visit Ingwelala Private Reserve, which borders Kruger, twice a year. There one gets the feeling of how it was during the 1950's. There is no electricity at the bungalows, so no noisy hair driers, radios or TV, and if you are attached to a heart-lung machine, sorry, you will die in the bush. There is also no fencing around your bungalow and one gets regular visits from hyenas who will try and steal your meat from the braai. A while ago we had to assist a couple who could not get into their bungalow. Lions caught an Impala right in front of their door :shock:

This is how I prefer my Kruger. Primitive and wild.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

For me it would just be heaven similar to now, when visiting Kruger, but just better... :whistle:

If that makes any sense. :mrgreen:

Satara Camp 2014-12-29 - 2015-01-05

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The trunks or boots of the cars in 1956 must have been roomy to pack all the camping gear, bedding and food for a family who did not stay in the Kruger huts. In 2014 camping gear is designed to travel light and with maximum comfort and convenience in mind. Perhaps there was no space in the trunk for mattresses and sheets and blankets were used on a ground cover for sleeping arrangements. It was likely then that the entire family went uh ..uh …uh..uh next morning when they had to get up from their ground level bed. If it was possible to time travel back to 1956 some of us 2014 Kruger visitors might struggle with the logistics of a 1956 Kruger holiday :) .

But I think it was also a time of great adventure.

Rooies wrote:
Lions caught an Impala right in front of their door

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
But 1956 it could have been a challenge :|

Rooies wrote:
if you are attached to a heart-lung machine, sorry, you will die in the bush.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:45 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If it was 1956, I would still be a twinkle in my father's eye.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:lol: Stampie.

I have some of the notebooks of my family from the 1950’s onwards written about, amongst others, their Kruger holidays. The pages have turned yellow by now. There is a lunch idea for enjoying “when in the outdoors” written in Afrikaans and translated it could be something like this:

“Take a pan and fry slices of corned beef in Holsum until brown. Add a tin of beans in tomato sauce to the fat in the pan and serve the hot beans on the fried slices of corned beef. Any left over meat or vegetables from a tin that is fried in this way are also nice.”

For the 2014 health conscious Kruger visitors the idea of eating 1956 fried slices of corned beef in fat for lunch might sound risky to the health. It is like giving a packet of gummi bears to a person on the Banting diet where sugar is a banned substance.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

GM, in the years before we had a family, my husband and I toured all over South Africa on our motorbike. Camping equipment was obviously kept to a minimum and one of our standard easy meals was a tin of corned beef and a tin of baked beans cooked up together.

Thanks for bringing back that memory for me. My mother has always kept a journal of holidays and would probably have old notebooks stored away somewhere. Maybe someday I will have a search for them.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was born in 1956, but my first visit was not long afterwards in 1964, so I can tell you what it was like. The first animal we saw was a kudu, somewhere between Numbi and Pretoriuskop. We booked in and took a short drive on the Faai loop, returned to camp just to find all our stuff stacked outside our bungalow in a drizzle that started just as we left on our drive - all wet by then. It included our bedding, as it wasn't provided by the park-just iron beds and mattresses inside the bungalow! It turned out the camp staff had double booked - they thought we had to be out on the day we arrived and duly chucked our stuff out when the other people arrived shortly after us ! Remember that's long before email and internet, so I guess bookings had to be sent by slow (only) mail from head office to the park, or even phoned or radioed through - lots of opportunities for human error ! We got sorted out, but the four of us were put up in a seven bed bungalow - it felt like sleeping in a ball room!
I can remember my first encounter with long life milk on that trip - the strange taste it gave to our coffee means that to this day we still refer to long life milk as ""game reserve milk""
I bought a flick knife with a Kruger Park logo for 25cents in the shop and tried to peel an orange with it, just to slip and cut deep into my thumb- the scar is still visible today- 50 years later !!
Our car broke down half way between Pretoriuskop and Skukuza - we waited for ages before the next car arrived - rich Joburg people in a Mercedes Benz - they took us to Skukuza, while my dad stayed behind in the car. We were worried sick about him- what if he got eaten by a lion ? On the way to Skukuza we saw a steenbok and we had to identify it - the stupid Joburgers didn't know what it was.
The AA man from Skukuza rescued our car and my dad, fixed it and we returned to Pkop late that afternoon , never to venture that far into the unknown again during that holiday !
We heard lions roar very close to camp one night , but never saw one, neither did we see any elephants - we did however see a pack of wild dogs without realising how fortunate we were. We also came across a freshly killed warthog carcass in the road with no predator in sight. My dad even got out and inspected it before we drove on. On our return a while later it was gone- I guess the leopard was watching from a few yards ( before metric) away !!?
We did however see one of the big five - six rhinos in the boma where they were kept in the inner circle just south of the camp for a few months after arriving from Natal Parks. Those were the first rhinos back in the Kruger since they were hunted to extinction many years before !
I can also remember the kerosene lanterns, the communal leadwood fireplace and the communal ablution blocks with the smell of Dettol and shiny brass taps and window handles.
The hippo pools on the river road towards Skukuza, where the Shangaan attendant picked me up and put me on his shoulders so that I could see over the reeds - I remember seeing the hippos, but I was more concerned about sitting on the tall man's shoulders so high above my comfort zone!
I can recall a lot more about that first visit ( my first ever holiday apart from visits to family) , but not never again in so much detail about any of my 100+ subsequent visits to the most wonderful place on earth!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It were the days when you had to send a letter to the Parks Board applying for accommodation. The post box was checked every day and screams of joy were heard when the letter of confirmation eventually arrived.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Do you remember the replies Rooies ? They were window envelopes and one didn't even have to open the envelope to know the result - confirmed bookings were green and declined bookings were white :cry:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:46 am 

My first visit was in 1955, and I was only 7 at the time. We stayed in tents in Pretoriuskop.
Our old 1947 Pontiac gave us endless trouble on the trip up from the Cape, and we arrived 2 days late.
We did not see any elephants (much to my mother's relief) but we did see lion and wild dogs. (The largest animal we saw was the yellow grader :D )

Cannot remember much else except that us three boys marveled at the size and quantity of dung produced by the ellies :lol: (We were farm boys )