Skip to Content

How will the current weather affect November 2015

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
heritagearts

How will the current weather affect November 2015

Unread postby heritagearts » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:02 am

Is this dry season going to affect conditions in Oct and Nov. We are planning 2 weeks in KTP and Kruger and would like to hear what others think about El Nino or the current drought conditions and what to anticipate as the season gets drier.

DinkyBird

Re: How will the current weather affect November 2015

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:31 am

I am sure it will only get drier between now and November. And this does place stress on the animals, and the bush, but it also has its advantages. Drinking water will dry up and that means the animals will congregate around where there is water left, making for good sightings in those areas. Also, although the bush will have started to green for summer, Oct/Nov is still fairly dry and sparse.

Of course, there could be good rains early on in the season (mid Oct) and then it will be a time of plenty.

Then again, I believe Natal has just received unseasonal rain - badly needed.

So, the wonder of Nature, always keeping us guessing :D
Sawubona
Dalene

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:15 am

Heritagearts, I have booked a few days in November, for the simple reason that it is just my favorite month.

If the rains have started, there are green shoots everywhere, but not enough to affect viewing. If the rains have not started yet, I tend to spend time at waterholes waiting for the animals to come and drink.

It is the best time for baby animals. The impala, in particular, give birth to their young, and they can be seen in nurseries everywhere.

The heat can be a problem, and if the thunder storms have started, it can be unbearably humid before the storm breaks. This is when I try to have a nap. I prefer to rise very early and take advantage of the cooler mornings.

I have been in Kruger when the rains have started in earnest. It was preceded by a heat wave and then followed by a few days of rain. The rain was actually welcome and it is another unique Kruger sighting.

I have been told the lions don't like the wet grass and like to use the roads during the wet days. They can use wet tar to assist in hunting, as animals, particularly giraffe, can be unsteady.

I remember the 2000 floods and I think it was preceded by an El Nino weather system. The floods came in February, if I remember correctly. We were on holiday close to Kruger when the weather changed. It had been a very dry November up until early December.

The 2012 floods came in January. I have never heard of floods in November, it is just too early.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:19 am

The old Crocodile Bridge was sometimes closed to traffic in November. There is a new bridge now that is much more suitable.

The early rains can bring a couple of very wet days, but it usually goes as quickly as it comes.

heritagearts

Unread postby heritagearts » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks, I was thinking much the same, and am watching the weather predictions. Do you think the rains could come early, or will they hold out? We have quite a plan and will enjoy it regardless of weather. We always over pack and under plan so we are never disappointed.
KTP Oct 9-24
Kruger Nov 1-16

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:52 am

Over pack and under plan sounds perfect. :thumbs_up:

There has been a lot of concern about the dryness of the Park. My own experience has been that the rains only really start in October. By the time November rolls in, it is starting to turn green.

I find October the most difficult month... very hot and humid. November seems to have better afternoon showers, breaking the humidity.

I remember it being very dry the year of the El Nino. The dryness was broken in December and followed by days of rain. It was broken by one of the loudest and most spectacular storms that I have ever witnessed.

I do think that global warming is affecting weather patterns and there is a lot more unpredictability. I actually enjoy the showers that Kruger offers. I also enjoy it when the rain sets in a bit, as it beaks the humidity.

Just go from day to day and be prepared. I have experienced remarkable drops in temperature in many visits. I have been caught off guard. Twice it has dropped from mid forties to mid twenties in a couple of hours. Once in October and once early January.

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Graham_5000 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:33 pm

I have seen mozzies in the Phalaborwa region at the end of the wet season (April). I have never seen a mozzie in winter, but do you see them in October often (at the start of the wet season), or do they need a bit of time to get going?!
Karoo National Park 07/04/2015 - 11/04/2015

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:06 pm

I don't think one can ever let your guard down over when or where there will be mozzies in Kruger.
Granted there will be a somewhat lesser risk in winter but bottom line is you only need 1 bite from an infected one to become ill.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Graham_5000 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:59 pm

I agree which is why I cover myself with deet even in winter. I was just curious though as one would expect the early wet season to not have as many mozzies as in late summer.
Karoo National Park 07/04/2015 - 11/04/2015

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:08 am

Graham, they are worse in late summer, but they only need one little stagnant pool of wtaer to start breeding. They also love the heat and smelly feet. :wink:

leervis
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:28 am

I am half planning a solo trip in November, Warty thinks I am crazy, mozzies, lots of other unmentionable goggas, heat and rain, but there is the great wonder of the bush waking up and greening as the Summer starts. Plus, and it is a big PLUS........lots of babies.
26 - 29 August Balule
30 August - 1 September Sirheni
2 - 5 September Tsendze

9 - 12 November Punda Camping
13 November Letaba Safari Tent
14 - 17 Balule Camping

Return to “Kruger National Park”