Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Drones for anti-poaching
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:15 pm 

Forgive me if this question has been asked before but why are drones not used to fight poaching ? A drone could cover hundreds of km's from a central base (eg: Skukuza) & once poachers are detected then send in a chopper/response team with anti poaching staff instead of constantly keeping staff in the bush for days & nights on end. This would also eliminate any possibility of anyone relaying future anti-poaching patrols schedules to any outsiders. If the USA/UK can see what's happening in Iraq from thousands of km's away then surely we can cover the Kruger Park ?

Instead of deploying many staff every day a single drone can cover vast areas & we can concentrate the anti-poaching efforts in that specific direction. Drones can also be used very effectively at night & can detect heat & movement from very far away. Live feeds could be sent to anti-poaching teams on their way to the scene as to numbers of poachers , direction of movement etc etc etc.....

Maybe I'm missing something here but it really seems like a viable option to me.

:sniper: = poacher

Post subject: Re: Drones for anti-poaching
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:22 pm 

Fuzzy, there is an interesting discussion on drones, and the whole anti poaching subject here - here. Maybe go back about a week, or ten days, of postings there to catch the latest discussions.

I do think they have certainly looked at using drones. Extensive research has gone into what is the best equipment to use to fight the war. In those posts is also a link to a very interesting interview with Gen Jooste.

We will lock this topic to keep all the posts under one thread.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]