SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Safari tents
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)

outside a tent in the early morning. (Croc Bridge)

Skukuza, inside and outside tents.

I love the tents. The outside comes in. It's best value, great fun, best of both worlds...

Post subject: Re: Self-catering provisions?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BrooklynBirder

Some of the shops in Kruger are very well stocked, depends on where you are staying. Skukuza's shop has fresh produce, meat , canned products etc - although the prices tend to be higher than the equivalent products would be in shops outside of Kruger. Shops in the smaller camps eg Oliphants, Punda Maria would have less of a selection.

If you are barbequeing (braaing) - don't forget firelighters, charcoal and a great sunset!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:28 am 

Yep, you can always make a meal from what's in the parks shop. Fresh stuff (fruit and vegetables) can sometimes be a bit hit and miss, and sometimes a bit old by the time it reaches the park, so if you see something you like, buy it rather than assuming it will still be there (or ediblea) a couple of days later.

Having said all that, considering where the park is, the shops are well stocked. You can also buy alcohol, toiletries and just about anything else you're likely to run out of/forget on holiday!

There are even some very good books in the stores! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi BrooklynBirder

Although the shops inside the park are usually quite well stocked, as far as fresh meat is concerned, I would recommend you buy it outside the Park, the selection is bigger and you are more than likely guaranteed to get what you are looking for. Also, a lot of butchers outside the Park will cut and pack the meat according to your individual requirements. As someone mentioned above, inside the Park can be a hit and miss, esp if the camp is full.

Post subject: Re: accommodation
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:53 pm 

Hi Debs

We are a family of three. We have had to book two bed units on occasion and they have had no problem with our son being added to the room. We pay of him as an additional person. On the occasions that this has happened they have supplied a mattress or a bed depending on what will fit. We were asked to bring a mattress on one occasion. We did have to arrange this telephonically or email and also could not book over the web. What we did was just to make sure that we phoned the particular camp a few days before hand to make sure that the additional mattress would not be forgotten. Here's hoping that you get your bookings. Alternativley take what you can get and make the necessary changes as other accomodation comes up. :) Don't give up :)

Kruger
LS 22, 23, 24 & 25 June
Croc Bridge 26 June to 4th July

Post subject: Accessible accommodation for wheelchair users
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 pm 

From reading some of the posts on the topic of accessible wheelchair accommodation at the various camps in Kruger there appears to be confusion on what is available and how to book the accommodation. The term "accessible" is open to interpretation as to the level of accessibility provided.

The suitability of certain accessible units will depend on the extent of the disability of the wheelchair user. Some units are totally accessible, especially if the wheelchair user has a carer to assist. Other units are only suitable if the wheelchair user has a certain amount of independent mobility.

One of the best sources of information is http://www.disabledtravel.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is an approved site by SANParks. This website has photographs of accessible accommodation in most of the Kruger camps plus a description of the accommodation and facilities provided. The website also covers other National Parks.

In our many trips to the Kruger Park my wife has photographed the accessible accommodation and sent the photographs to Karin Coetzee for inclusion on the website http://www.disabledtravel.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is essential that accessible accommodation is reserved in advance of arrival at a camp. Accessible accommodation units are reserved for wheelchair users until a few weeks before occupation, if these unit are not reserved then they are open for the general public to book.

Bookings for accessible accommodation must be made directly with the National Parks Board and cannot be made with any of the booking agents.

Post subject: Re: Difference between kitchen and kitchenette
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:00 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi Alf,

I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between the kitchen and kitchenettes at the accommodation, we take our own kitchen(ette) with us when we go camping. :whistle:

Usually a kitchen is..... well, a kitchen with a proper size fridge, stove and washbasin. A kitchenette is the mini version with an undercounter fridge, usually a two plate stove and a small washbasin or prepbowl (if any).

Post subject: Re: Question on towels and bedding in KNP accomodation
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum Wolfie!

They supply a hand towel, a small cake of soap and a bath towel for each bed.

There are sheets and blankets on the beds and a cupboard with spare blankets.

Have a blast!

Post subject: Skukuza perimeter units -GC4V
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am 

I wonder whether anyone can help me. I am looking to book one of the GC4V cottages on the perimeter of Skukuza (Near the Selati Restuarant). Can anyone tell me whether the lounge area is big enough for a bed?? Is it a stand alone area or part of the Kitchen?

I have tried the rest camp directly and they were not that well informed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Skukuza perimeter units -GC4V
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:51 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Lawrence

It is a open plan kitchen / lounge. If you move the lounge furniture a bit or stack it there will be space for a single bed.

Lion Queen

Post subject: Re: Accommodation - ask all your questions here
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:20 pm 

Kite, not sure if this is what you are meaning but if you have a look Here and I have used Skukuza as an example you will see if you hover the arrow over the particular Bungalow etc it brings up a description of what that particular one offers.
And so it is for every camp.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:54 am 

jhawktx wrote:
We are planning to stay in Lower Sabie and hope to get either a BD2U (6 units) or BD3U (20 units). I have the detailed map of the camp and it lists all the unit numbers. Unfortunately it doesn't say which of those numbers equate to the unit type (BD2U for example). Does anyone know which numbers equate to BD2U and BD3U? Thanks.

I believe a number of units have been upgraded since the map was published. Following the upgrade BG3U and BG2U may now reclassified as BD3U and BD2U.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:39 am 

Susie, if I am not mistaken and from what I have read all the units from #'s 3 to 22 are in fact the new up graded 3 sleepers.
On the map they are still marked as BG2U
We stayed in # 22 in March this year, a 3 sleeper and very nice.

There are some pics of the units Here

@ Noeg, I think Susie has answered most of your queries, and with regards adding a 2nd child to a 3 sleeper, I would also like that clarified as my son is in the same predicament.
Other than that, keep checking the reservations, as often accommodation comes up at the last minute due to cancellations.

Post subject: Re: What's the process for requesting particular units in camps?
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:22 pm 

Hi Elsa,

Thank you for the response. As a matter of interest, who do you direct the Fax to? The camp manager? Duty manager?

Regards
Jeff

Post subject: Re: What's the process for requesting particular units in camps?
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:07 pm 

Don't think I address it to anyone in particular, :?
hopefully when the fax arrives it gets directed to the right person.
So far, I have not had any failures with requests, but then we do go in the off season quiet months.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next