Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Accommodation - ask all your questions here
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:18 pm 

Probably a stupid question, but I have searched everywhere and cannot find the answer to the following:
If a cottage for TWO people has Adult min. rate: R620.00 and Base rate number of people: 2 does this mean it is R620 or R1240 per night?

At the bottom of the availability search screen it says:
Adult min rate refers to the base rate, which in this case is 2.

Sorry, just find it highly confusing to identify how much the unit is for two people.

Thanks,

Muz

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Muz and welcome to the forums. The base rate covers whatever the base number of people is for the particular accommodation. so if the base number is 2, then that's the cost for 2 people. If the base number is 4, then that's the cost for up to 4 people. HTH

cheers, arks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:07 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

biyamiti
talamati

Both have ceiling fans according to the website. I haven't stayed there though.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:52 pm 

Yahya wrote:
Ok I guees you rite up the budget.I was checking Skukuza Im not sure but it seems they dont have the 2 sleeper cottages!Or do they?

Hi Yahya,

Go and have a look here and you can see all the types of accomodation as well as prices... if you hover with the mouse over the acc. type (like safari tent) it will show you everything it have.
Also try Lower-Sabie, they also have nice accommodation as well as safari tents WITH own toilet and shower.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Yahya,

The basic principle is that for the privilege of having your own private bathroom/toilet in the unit, you will pay at least twice as much as a unit where you use communal facilities, which I have always found to be kept in a good hygenic state.

Twice the price means half the length of stay for us.

A final thought, I always use some of the 'ablution time' or 'wash up time' to gather intelligence about sightings of others.

We are successful about 50% of the time on kills etc told to us.

Post subject: Re: What is provided in Camp bungalows?
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:16 pm 

TXDrifter wrote:
What are the basic amenities provided at the Bungalows? Soap, towels, shampoo, toilet paper, etc.?

All there. And every day clean towels and new soap etc.
Only one but: Some bungalows dont have cutlery. But you should see that with the booking.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

On my last couple of trips I've taken units with a kitchenette and bathroom.
Towels,soap and toiletpaper are provided. Changed daily if you wish so, but preferably not, we need to conserve as much water possible.

Units with cooking facilities vary as some have hotplates and sinks and some only have sinks. The ones I used all had hotplates. Units with kitchenettes include the following: (electric sometimes) kettle, crockery & cutlery (set of four: plates, side plates, pudding bowls, glasses, cups & saucers, knives & forks, spoons and teaspoons), 2 pots and frying pan, salad bowl, bread knife, tin opener, water jug and braaitongs.

I think that's all of it. If anything is short you can just report it to reception and they will try to replace it as quickly as possible.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:08 pm 

All accommodation has it's own braai close to the verandah.
You may need to use the communal kitchen for hot water for coffee, they have a geyser (I take my own electric kettle to use in the bungalows :wink: )
Have a great trip!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

All huts have braais next to there units , with tables and chairs .
The only main camp that has communal braais is punda maria.

Remeber the braai tongs though , the braai does not come with a braai tong .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BUSHBRO this answer is more to help others also wondering what the accomodation has , as you say you will be prepared .

The communal kitchen blocks have sinks for washing up , 2 plate stoves for cooking side dishes etc and a boiling water dispenser ( you can fetch boiling water in a thermos flask ) to make beverages . Always one close to your bungalow and a great place to talk to other people about who saw what.

All bungalows have braais - supply your own wood/charcoal
firelighters , matches and tongs (or use a fork etc) .

Some bungalows have own kitchenettes usualy with utensils .
You can hire utensil sets at reception offices but it is a "schlep" and you must hand them in next morning which wastes game viewing time. It is worthwhile having your own set
You definatly need your own utensils at picnic spots so in my opinion take a set with. You can buy them in hypermarkets cheaply.

Picnic spots all have skottel braais for hire and this tradition (bush-breakfast) should not be missed. They also have basic kitchen wash-ups etc. Invariably these attendants would like to do your washing up for a fair consideration .

The most important appliance is the fridge to keep food fresh and the drinks cold . Every single accomodation unit (except Balule ) has one with a small deep freeze compatment .

The one piece of equipment all visitors should take is the humble coolbox . It is necessary to keep food cool between overnight camps , and also to have a supply of cool drinks at stopping (get-out) places . Buy one or two at hypermarkets when you get your utensils is my advice.

Otherwise the KNP has enough facilities including shops to supply your needs.

Post subject: Re: Accommodation types: Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bird Song wrote:
What are the pros and cons of the communal kitchen?.

Pro: in a communal kitchen you will meet other Kruger visitors and you can exchange stories about your sightings in the park.

Con: the kitchen is not right by your bungalow (but usually not too far away either.) Bungalows without kitchen don't have cutlery, so you'll have to bring your own or rent cutlery.

P.S: The communal kitchens have hot water boilers that are very useful. You can also use them if you have your own kitchen.

Enjoy your stay in Kruger! :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My recomendation is take the 3 bed bungalow with designation
BD3 on the Availability link .
These have a full kitchenette on the open verandah which is great, being the latest renovated models .
Only consideration would be that the 3 beds are in one bedroom , but that is unavoidable unless you take 2 units which pushes up the costs .

The bungalows with enclosed verandahs have gauze netting on the outside wall which was put in decades ago to keep insects out but they are claustrophobic .
An additional bed in one would be a very tight fit as the fridge is also there and the verandah is narrow and circular.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:52 pm 

Hi cwolfsen,

Yes towels are provided in all accommodation types, two towels per bed. One bath and one face towel :D

Enjoy your stay!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:57 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Except for camping that is.
Also provided is a little round soap, which a lot of people bring home, and toiletpaper which I hope people do not bring home.

All you need to bring are your normal toiletries, but I would bring two instead of one bottles of shampoo. It's very easy to forget if you hop from camp to camp.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My understanding of the donor accommodation is that money was donated for the construction of the hut/cottage/guest house by either private individuals or corporate companies.
I remember that at one time many years ago a small cottage "cost" around R375 000,00.
The donor was then entitled to the use of this accommodation at their discretion for a period of 1 month per year and on the understanding that it could be used by the now Sanparks as part of their lettable accommodation for the balance of the year.
We looked into it at that time but did not participate - quite glad we did not as I believe that things have changed quite a lot since then!!!!!!!!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next