SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: JHB airport to Paul Kruger Gate
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Johannesburg to Paul Kruger Gate is 456 kms, to Numbi Gate it is 405 kms. The Numbi distance is taken using the R528 from White River. It does cut some distance off, but it does bypass Hazyview.
If you need provisions, it would be better to stop at Hazyview.

Post subject: Re: JHB to Punda Maria - best route and where best to victua
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Summary.

From Jo'burg head North on the N1 Toll road to Pietersburg (Polokwane) (4 Toll gates to go through)
1. Take the R71 leading to R81 via Giyane up to the junction with the R524; turn right to Punda Gate +/- 35kms. (No Toll gates)
2. Carry on the N1 to Louis Trichard (Machado) and turn left onto the R524 via Thoyandou direct to Punda Gate. (2 Tollgates)
3. N1 to Banderlierkop - 10kms North turn right onto un-numbered road to Elim; 100kms further at 4 way stop turn left on R81 for 10kms and right on R524 to Punda Gate. (1 Tollgate).

For those arriving at O R Tambo International Airport - Take the R21 to Pretoria and then onto the N1.

On all the above roads - watch out for speed traps as well as the odd road block where they check driver's and vehicle licenses and sometimes whether the vehicles lights/brakes etc are working.
On the rural roads, watch out for cattle/donkeys/goats/pedestrians and the usual cowboy driver that is resident in every town.

Shopping: On Sundays especially, shop at Irene Mall just off the R21 (take the Nelmapius Drive off ramp) Food and Liquor is available here until at least 3 pm. North of Pretoria, on a Sunday, you will not find any liquor stores open and most supermarkets are closed by 2 pm.
Other good shopping places during the week: Potgeitersrus (Mokapane); Louis Trichard (Machado).
(Haven't seen the Elim Mall - it is not on this road but will get more info from others)

Roadside vendors on all three routes can provide good quality, reasonably priced fruit/veg that is in season.

Scenery - it all depends on what you define as scenic! Via Giyane is probably the most scenic - Thoyandou is bush and Elim is bush and villages............(and good for towing)

So, there you have it...........take the option best suited and enjoy the trip. (Watch out for Ndloti's chickens, you can find them in the towns up here as well :wink: )

Post subject: Re: Road to Shingwedzi with caravan
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

For those towing trailers or caravans, try the following route:

N1 (bypass Polokwane) to Banderlierkop.
Approx: 10kms north turn right onto the Elim/Luvuhu road ( no road number )
Continue through Elim for about 90 kms. to a 4-way stop (actually it's the first one after Elim!)
There's a garage on the left.
Turn left - you are now on the R81.
Travel for about 15kms to a t-junction with the R524
Turn right - Punda gate is about 35kms further on.

The reason we use this route is because there are few potholes, less traffic (especially after Elim) and no hills to speak of - took us about 2 hours from N1 to Punda gate - and we were towing!

Post subject: Re: Road to Shingwedzi with caravan
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:23 pm 

Personally I prefer the N1 all the way up north and turn off to Pafuri Gate just after the Baobab Toll Plaza. There are roadworks only on the last few kms to Pafuri Gate. We have just traveled it again and I'll never travel another route to Shingwedzi.

We did, however, leave Shingwedzi yesterday morning at 06h00 and exited the Park at Crocodile Bridge at 17h30! :lol: whithout speeding, but I won't recommend that for entering. :D

Post subject: Re: Benoni to Olifants via Satara advice needed on route/roa
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 pm 

I use viamichelin.co.uk to plan my trips in Europe and Engeland and it works just as well for South Africa. Very useful site.

I have obtained the following distances from Benoni:

Via Lydenburg, Origstad, Phalaborwa to Olifants: 560 Km

Via Lydenburg, Origstad, Klaserie, Orpen Gate to Olifants: 588 Km

Via Polokwane, Tzaneen, Phalaborwa to Olifants: 612 Km.

Via Nelspruit, Skukuza to Olifants: 573 Km

I will recommend going via Polokwane even if it is slightly longer. Better roads by far and you pay less on toll fees.

Last edited by Madalla on Tue May 01, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fastest Route Middleburg MP to Orpen Gate
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:33 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Absolutely an excellent route. :thumbs_up:
Just remember, Anna, that Lydenburg has now changed name to Mashishing, with some of the signs reading Lydenburg, and the others Mashishing. :?

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:03 am 

An update, having just returned from 11 days in KNP, towing a caravan.
We took the N4 from Pta to Nelspruit, then up to White River - Hazyview - entering at Phabeni Gate.
I would recommend this route, since the Nelspruit - Hazyview road is in excellent condition.
A few road repairs are under way between White River and Hazyview with 2 slight stop/go delays, but nothing to worry about.
Apparently the real delays are through Bushbuck Ridge after Hazyview, so entering at Phabeni and using the excuse to drive through the park up to Satara makes sense.

Stick to the R40 up to Hazyview and then to Phabeni or even Kruger gate.
Don't even think about using the direct route from White River to Numbi or Phabeni which is in a terrible state - potholes, numerous delays and very poor signage to KNP.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:00 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
carolynn wrote:
Hullo- what is the travelling time from Pretoria to Malelane and is it an easy road all in good condition, but busy I suppose? We need to find an alternative route from PE as going through the Free State is not on anymore, roads I believe are in a bad state? Can anyone comment please? Thank you.

The travelling time from Pretoria to Malelane is about 3.5-4 hours, depending how you drive; the last time I drove it (a few months back) it was in fine condition; the N4, like most of our N-roads, is usually in top form. Since they opened the double lane for most of the way, travelling it can be busy but at least you know you should have an incident-free trip.

I'm not sure which roads in the Free State you are referring to, Carolynn, but the N1 has always been in excellent condition from Colesberg through to Johannesburg. By P.E. I assume you mean Port Elizabeth? If that is the case, I would meet up with the N1, drive from there to Jo'burg, then via the N12 to Witbank/Middelburg, and down the N4 to Malelane. There are still restrictive roadworks around the East Rand for several kilometres on the N12, but if you drive them carefully and slowly, the road soon opens up to an easy drive to Witbank.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Best route to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 am 

Hi - we are heading for Punda mid April and I was looking for advice as to the best route from Johannesburg.
N1 all the way to the turnoff or via Tzaneen and Giyani?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Best route to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:46 am 

The best route at this stage would be to take the N1 to Louis Trichardt and then travel past Thoyandou (spelling) to Punda gate. The road that goes past Giyani is under construction with quite a few stop/go waiting periods.

Post subject: Re: Roads to Orpen
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:43 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

We were there the other week. :dance:

My knowledge of the area will be more limited than local Saffies, but this I what I can tell you.

You can drop down to the R40 from Graskop, which I don't remember being a bad road, it's steep of course and bendy, but otherwise no problem.

Once on the R40 you go north towards Phalaborwa, until you see the Orpen turning.
The road quality is good, but be careful all through Bushbuckridge (which seems to go on for ever!) because there may be pedestrians and livestock crossing the road!!

Once clear of Bushbuck ridge it's very easy.

As I said you take the Orpen turning, and then it's 40kms along a quiet and reasonable road to the gate.

I had read lots of bad reports a year or so back of potholes, so we were a bit wary, but we have now done the journey twice recently and found absolutely no problems.the occasional pothole, like most Saffie roads these days.!!

As I said local Saffie mites may have a better route and advice!!!!

Hope you have a wonderful time!! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: From JHB to Orpen Gate, via Whiteriver and Hazyview.
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hippotragus wrote:
Just to throw a spanner in the works - I always travel the Belfast - Dullstroom - Lydenburg - Ohrigstad - Klaserie road. OK there will be some potholes (where are there no potholes?) and there can be slow traffic over the pass. Otherwise it is a pleasant scenic route and we have never had too many stops.

Just to confuse the issue even more:
I also did the Belfast route last September.
I did not see any potholes between Belfast and Lydenburg, basically because I could not see the road...densest fog/mist I have ever encountered!
But the road was Ok, and quite pleasant.
I left JHB (Bedfordview) at about 08:30 in the a.m and arrived at Orpen gate at about 15:30 (and we averaged about 30 km/h between Belfast and Lydenburg, I still cannot be sure when I actually went past Dullstroom).
If I could be sure that I had enough time, I would travel through the park, but it is 204 km from Malelane to Tamboti and about 170-odd from Phabeni to Tamboti and I guess about 150 from Paul Kruger Gate to Tamboti.
Those distances mean some serious time in the park.
I would hazard a guess that I would normally allow for 5h30 minutes from JHB to Malelane.

As regards your original question, the road from Nelspruit to White River and then on to Hazyview is only about 65 km, but you should allow about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes for this (last time I was there there was construction on the R40 between White River and Hazyview and these caused a few delays (but that was back May of 2012).
Between Hazyview and Orpen the road is good if busy.
If memory serves it is about 130 km, but you should allow about 1 hour 45 minutes for the trip.
That means about 3 hours from Nelspruit to Orpen?

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We do the trip from Stellenbosch to the Kruger Park at least once a year.
From Bloemfontein to Badplaas the N1/N12 option to Machadodorp will be the quickest (but not the shortest)

The other option is via Winburg-Bethlehem-Warden-Vrede-Standerton-Ermelo-Carolina-Badplaas.
This is much shorter.
We did this route in reverse in September 2012.
For the most part the roads are OK EXCEPT for the Warden-Vrede section (which included 20 km of roadworks which meant essentially gravel road), and the Ermelo-Carolina section, which was quite uneven and potholed. Carolina to Badplaas was OK, there are a few stop/go sections as they are rebuilding parts of the road.
Note that there are also some of these on the other side of Badplaas (if you plan to travel via Barberton the next day), but these are not too bad.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Johannesburg to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We are starting our trip in Punda Maria. We plan to travel the N1 to Polokwane.
After that we are not sure of the best route.

Options seem to be

R81 via Giyani then R524
N1 to Louis Trichardt then R524
N1 towards Musina then R525 and enter @ Pafuri (have been told this is a great drive, just worried about extra time)

We would appreciate any info on road conditions and recommended routes.

Thanks
Janine

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next