SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: OR Tambo to Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Judik!

Arks is totally correct. We're even avoiding that road this Saturday in daylight and opting for Orpen Gate.
I wouldn't do that if I were you. The road from Polokwane to Phalaborwa is bad enough as it is during the day with pedestrians and animals all over the place. At night? No way.

There is a perfectly good Protea Hotel , where we've stayed before, at OR Thambo. You'll be dead tired after a flight from America. It just seems wiser and safer to me to chill out at the Hotel, relax, maybe do some shopping at the East Rand Mall just behind the Hotel, and leave very early the next morning. They have a shuttle service at the airport as well, so maybe arrange to pick up the car the next morning. The shuttle service will drop you at the rental place.

Hope that helps.

Post subject: Re: OR Tambo to Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:hmz: :hmz: I must travel a different road then. Did this road in Dec with no issues and is my preferred road to phalaborwa. I left my place in fourways at 11-45 and got to Phalaborwa gate at 4-45am. I travel a little over the speed limit, in some places, but have never felt insecure on the road.

Road surface is good, road works were finished in the mountains, there is a stretch just before Moria that could have pedestrians etc, but the speed limit is 80 km so you shouldn't get any scares there.

There is a Protea hotel just before Polokwane that Arks mentions or I would push on through to Magoebaskloof hotel, just before the curvy road that Arks mentions. You should arrive there as sun sets or just after, meaning there are cars on the road which you are able to follow to show you the road. I would then leave the next morning at about 7 and you would be in Phalaborwa at about 9am when shops open. Not sure why Arks got ore trucks on this road, heavy vehicles are not allowed down Magoebaskloof but have to use Georges Valley road. They could possible have been heavy duty truck involved in the roadworks at the time.

GP, depending on the route you guys are taking I would be extremely careful and even consider changing, I have heard of potholes etc around Lydenburg and I expect the Mpumulanga roads would be worse after all the rains.

Post subject: Re: Driving from JHB International to Kruger - Directions
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We used the route via Belfast/Dullstroom/Lydenburg/Orighstad. Some potholes but nothing that gave me as driver any reason to worry. Still my preferred route.

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:16 pm 

hi again

as planned i went to kruger on february 16th and came back today . I took the r538 to numbi both ways and though it is true that it does have serious potholes along the way but no where near every bit of the way, the trip was 45mn from KMIA both ways to/from the gate. The road is decently not suitable for night travel but by daytime it stays an option to seriously consider.

best regards

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:17 am 

In May 2012, we took a family group of 12 members to Kruger, entering via the Numbi Gate for our first stop at Pretoriouskop. There were plenty of potholes through the township but not many on the turnoff road to Numbi Gate.
What is the state of the road from the township to Numbi Gate now?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:38 pm 

Hi Wildebeeste. The road is pretty much as you remembered it. There may be slightly more pot holes than you remembered with some of them stretching across half the road, but once you turn of to Numbi it's relatively good. Ps recently did that trip and was fortunate enough to have Cheetah as my first sightig :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:13 am 

Does anybody perhaps know if there is still stop and goes on the N4 alternative between Machadodorp and Nelspruit via Schoemanskloof

Lower Sabie 20 September 2014 - 24 September 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Travelled the Schoemanskloof road last week Thursday and again on Tuesday this week. All clear - no road works at all!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:04 am 

Thanks so much Hippotragus

Lower Sabie 20 September 2014 - 24 September 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:05 pm 

Glad to hear the roadworks are done as I also prefer the Schoemanskloof road.

Pietskiet, look out for us, we will be in Tamboti over the weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14