SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Johannesburg to Orpen
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi jeffgordon

I travelled that route last week Friday and it is seriously dangerous. The stretch of the R36 between the N4 and Lydenburg has potholes that take up half the road in places. In other places the road just dissappears. Traffic wise it was fine, but you just need to be seriously awake for potholes and slow down considerably otherwise you could just lose your suspension. The stretch between Lydenburg and Orighstad is a little bit better although there are some potholes to watch out for. From Abel Erusmus pass onwards to Klaserie and Orpen it is pure pleasure.

My time from OR Tambo airport to Orpen was about 6hrs, this included a 1/2 hour stop at Supa Quick in Lydenburg to remove a metal object from my rear tyre.

Travel safely :thumbs_up:

Post subject: JHB/Punda Maria - best route and where to victual?
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:33 pm 

Hi All

We are flying in to Johannesburg and then driving up to Punda Maria.

I wonder if anyone could suggest the best route to do this, and where best to pick up victuals. I used to live in Kempton Park and know there were some supermarkets there... but that was a good 20 years ago so I am positive it will be hardly recognisable!! We would prefer some place easily reached from the highway of course where we could dash in and out without too much delay.

We will be going in for 13 nights and I guess we could come out on the 6'th day to restock at Phalaborwa.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I would prefer to avoid driving through any squatter camps if at all possible.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: JHB to Punda Maria - best route and where best to victua
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Found a shopping thread, Here, once again just check a few posts down they discuss shopping on the way to Punda Maria.

There is a shopping mall in Polokwane, Savannah Mall, that has a Pick and Pay and a Woolworths, but it seems like their stores close at 14h00 in the afternoon on a Sunday. At what time are you leaving JHB to Kruger on Sunday?

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi again AgeingHippy :D

I am going to give an "off the beaten track" stop for shopping, just get a good cooler bag and ice. Potgietersrus, or what used to be Potgietersrus has a couple of lovely good sized malls with a Pick and Pay and Woolworths. It also, if I remember correctly, has a very good Spar. There is excellent parking and wide good roads.

It is possible to exit from the freeway and enter again later, missing out a toll. It is fractionaly off the beaten track, but in my mind, worth it. Being a fairly smallish town, there is no traffic congestion, an absolute pleasure.

JUst before reaching Pholekwane, shortly after a major petrol station, look out for the R81 towards Tzaneen. It takes the same route as Giyane. The roads have been upraded for the 2010 world cup and are a treat. It also bypasses the awful city centre traffic.

The Giyani road towards Punda is very, very scenic in places. It has been upgraded and relatively free of traffic. It does pass through some rural villages, but they are very safe and the only challenge is to miss the goats and cattle. Giynani also has a fairly good shopping centre and I have stopped for emergencies. I did find that it did not cater that much for my needs, as it was stocked up more for those who came from rural areas.

AgeingHippy, I hope that you are pleasantly surprised. If anything, it is so much safer and more pleasant to travel than 10 years ago, particularly in what used to be "the homelands".

I have just had a look at my mapbook and the new name to Potgietrsrus is Mokopane. It is truly a delightful town to stock up. Being a mining town, the shops have to cater well for all tastes. One of the best kept secrets en route to Northern Kruger.

Phalaborwa is excellent for a half way shop. Good shops, good choice and in my experience, good service.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We drove from Johannesburg to Punda Maria last month. We took the N1 to Makhado (Louis Trichardt) where we found a well stocked Super Spar a few streets in on the left as we reached the outskirts of the town. It had everything we needed. From there we drove due East to Punda on the R524 and at Thohoyandou we came across stalls selling a good variety of fresh fruit and vegetables. Lovely big avocados, pawpaws and sweet ripe tomatoes. My mouth is watering thinking about them!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:50 am 

Hi Hippy

The best (and quickest) would be to stop off at Irene Mall on your way to Pretoria. To get to Punda Maria one need to take the R21 (North) to Pretoria to get to the N1 (North) and then onwards to Polokwane (Pietersburg), Louis Trichardt etc.

Irene Mall is just off the R21 (visible from the road), before you get the N1 (north) offramp. Take the Nelmapius Offramp to your left. There is a Woolworths and Pick n Pay, which would be sufficient for all your shopping needs.

If you get a bag of ice or two to add to your cooler it would be sufficient to keep the shopping cool till you get to Punda Maria. "Cooler" temperatures have been predicted for the weekend, so I think you will be ok.

Have a wonderful trip!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi AgeingHippy!

We live just south of Pietersburg (Polokwane) and would like to add our drop of advice to this bucket!
Agree with Bushdancer re: shopping at Irene Mall.
BUT you still have about 540kms to go before you get to Punda Gate, irrespective of which route that you take and you will have to travel through rural areas where speed limits are often down to 80km and 60km plus slow moving traffic on single lane roads for the last +/- 150kms. You should allow a minimum of 7 hours from O R Tambo to Punda Gate - just for travelling, so we think that you are cutting it very fine if you intend leaving the airport at midday.
We go through to KNP - Punda Gate - quite often and lately have found the best route with a good surface and lack of heavy vehicles is:
N1 bypassing Pietersburg on the eastern side, through the Capricorn Toll Gate to about 10km north of Banderlierkop.
Take a right turn at the sign to Elim/Levubu - this road has no number!
Go through Elim - straight across at the 4 way stop (check the roadside hawkers here for fresh fruit and veg if there is anything that you missed out on when you did your shopping. We have often bought good fruit/veg from these guys) - continue through Vuwani - carry on straight - do not turn off this road (for about 100kms from the turn-off from the N1) - until you get to a 4-way stop with a Zenex garage where you turn left onto the R81.
About 10kms further on at the T-junction, turn right onto the R524 (Thoyandou/Punda road). You are now about 35kms from Punda Gate and 43km from the camp.
This way you miss out both Giyani and Thoyandou. When we last travelled this road 2 months ago, there were only half a dozen potholes near Elim.
However you do not need to be concerned about safety in these areas but high speed travelling is a definite no-no firstly because of other road users and then because "speed traps" is the name of the game over week-ends.

Whatever advice you follow - enjoy your visit!

KNP 3 May - 8 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

With all of this advice, it might be a good idea to summarise it all:

From Jo'burg head North on the N1 Toll road to Pietersburg (Polokwane) (4 Toll gates to go through)
1. Take the R71 leading to R81 via Giyane up to the junction with the R524; turn right to Punda Gate +/- 35kms. (No Toll gates)
2. Carry on the N1 to Louis Trichard (Machado) and turn left onto the R524 via Thoyandou direct to Punda Gate. (2 Tollgates)
3. N1 to Banderlierkop - 10kms North turn right onto un-numbered road to Elim; 100kms further at 4 way stop turn left on R81 for 10kms and right on R524 to Punda Gate. (1 Tollgate).

For those arriving at O R Tambo International Airport - Take the R21 to Pretoria and then onto the N1.

On all the above roads - watch out for speed traps as well as the odd road block where they check driver's and vehicle licences and sometimes whether the vehicles lights/brakes etc are working.
On the rural roads, watch out for cattle/donkeys/goats/pedestrians and the usual cowboy driver that is resident in every town.

Shopping: On Sundays especially, shop at Irene Mall just off the R21 (take the Nelmapius Drive off ramp) Food and Liquor is available here until at least 3 pm. North of Pretoria, on a Sunday, you will not find any liquor stores open and most supermarkets are closed by 2 pm.
Other good shopping places during the week: Potgeitersrus (Mokapane); Louis Trichard (Machado).
(Haven't seen the Elim Mall - it is not on this road but will get more info from others)

Roadside vendors on all three routes can provide good quality, reasonably priced fruit/veg that is in season.

Scenery - it all depends on what you define as scenic! Via Giyane is probably the most scenic - Thoyandou is bush and Elim is bush and villages............(and good for towing)

So, there you have it...........take the option best suited and enjoy the trip. (Watch out for Ndloti's chickens, you can find them in the towns up here as well :wink: )

KNP 3 May - 8 June 2014

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Going to do the transpark 5 day tour in the moz side of the park in April.
Traveling from Gauteng to Pafuri gate any suggestions please.

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

You have 2 alternatives.
1. Drive the N1 to North of Louis Trichardt (Makhado) and take the R525 through Tshipise to Pafuri gate. Road is in a pretty good condition with some pothole about 10km from Pafuri that may have been fixed since we last travelled on it.
2. N1 to Banderlierkop - +/- 10kms north take the Elim/Levubu turn (unregistered road on the right) travel through Elim (some potholes in this area but not too bad) and Vuwani to 4 way stop with R81. Turn left, about 15kms later T-junction with R524, turn right to Punda Gate about 35kms. Travel in park up to Pafuri. This route is tarred all the way despite almost all maps showing it as a dirt road.

Hope this helps!

KNP 3 May - 8 June 2014

Post subject: Re: Road to Shingwedzi with caravan
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

For those towing trailers or caravans, try the following route:

N1 (bypass Polokwane) to Banderlierkop.
Approx: 10kms north turn right onto the Elim/Luvuhu road ( no road number )
Continue through Elim for about 90 kms. to a 4-way stop (actually it's the first one after Elim!)
There's a garage on the left.
Turn left - you are now on the R81.
Travel for about 15kms to a t-junction with the R524
Turn right - Punda gate is about 35kms further on.

The reason we use this route is because there are few potholes, less traffic (especially after Elim) and no hills to speak of - took us about 2 hours from N1 to Punda gate - and we were towing!

Posted the above a couple of months ago in another thread - going this way again shortly towing caravan (as will be camping in Shigwedzi) and will update on current conditions sometime in May!

KNP 3 May - 8 June 2014

Post subject: Re: Road to Shingwedzi with caravan
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:23 pm 

Personally I prefer the N1 all the way up north and turn off to Pafuri Gate just after the Baobab Toll Plaza. There are roadworks only on the last few kms to Pafuri Gate. We have just traveled it again and I'll never travel another route to Shingwedzi.

We did, however, leave Shingwedzi yesterday morning at 06h00 and exited the Park at Crocodile Bridge at 17h30! :lol: whithout speeding, but I won't recommend that for entering. :D

Post subject: Re: Best route please?
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:20 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Pafuri,

If I had to travel from Graskop to Mopani and had all day, I would travel to Phalaborwa via Blydepoort, Abel Erasmus Pass and Mica. Would be a scenic drive, in my view.

Best wishes!

JOEP

Post subject: Benoni to Olifants via Satara advice needed on route/roads
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:39 am 

We are going to Olifants end May 2012, usually go Orpen Gate then Satara then Olifants. Went to Satara Oct last year Belfast, Lydenburg R36, Orighstad, road was terrible with huge potholes, as we are pulling trailer a bit worried about this. Were also thinking of going via Croc Bridge. Not interested in Phalaborwa route.
Can someone pse update on condition of R36.
We are travelling from Benoni so also have morning mist to contend with which could slow us down a bit, looks like a long haul to Olifants

Post subject: Re: Benoni to Olifants via Satara advice needed on route/roa
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Fozzis , we came back from Kruger last week , Orpen , via Ohrigstad , Lydenburg , then R36 to Machadodorp . Road wasn't too bad , some potholes here and there as expected , especially on Mpumalanga roads . Last year we drove Lydenburg via R540 to Belfast and it was quite shocking :big_eyes:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next