Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help - Pretoria to Orpen via Lydenburg/Origstad??
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Chances of plenty of mist the first 50 km or so east of Benoni , I would avoid it in the dark .
I highly recommend the good condition (Sept 2008) Schoemanskloof road instead of the (Sappi) Ngodwana route , much less traffic and better scenery .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: best route from Johannesburg to Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:05 pm 

Hi all,
I was wondering what is the best (most scenic) route to drive from Johannesburg to either the Orpen or Phalaborwa gates and how long it takes. Also, what sites one should see on the way? I was trying to figure out if Blyde River Canyon is on the way...

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: best route from Johannesburg to Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:40 pm 

Take the N12 and then the N4 through Witbank. Nothing to see here. Where the N4 split in two, just before Waterval Boven, take the northern route through Schoemans Kloof.
Then take the R539 to Sabie and from there go to Graskop and take the Panorama route past all the waterfalls and Blyde River Canyon.
From there you take the R36 through the Strydom Tunnel and the the R527 to Hoedspruit and from there it's another hour to Phalaborwa.
It's a long drive but you won't be dissapointed.
Good luck.

Post subject: Travelling
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:35 am 

Hi Guys

I am making my pilgrimage to Kruger in September!

we will be staying at Tamboti for the first few days.

What would be the best route to take from the East Rand) to Orpen Gate. We were thinking of maybe passing Through Hazyview??

many Thanks

P.S. Any trip suggestions...

Post subject: Re: Travelling
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 am 

Hi Tyrone,
very warm welcome to the forum. :clap:

If you have a read Here sure you will be able to pick up a few good ideas. :D

Have a look at This map for details on the distances closer to the park.

Enjoy your trip!

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject: Re: Travelling
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:35 am 

Hi Tyrone - I see you have been given links to look at but just to add my little bit : We live on the East Rand and our preferred route to Orpen Gate is via the N12 - turn off to Belfast and go via Dullstroom and Lydenburg - Ohrigstad - through the tunnel at the Abel Erasmus Pass and then turn off towards Hoedspruit and approach Orpen Gate. It's a much nicer journey then through Hazeyview and ends up being quicker too. Enjoy your upcoming trip!! We are looking forward to ours which starts 8 Aug especially as we are going Punda Maria and Shingwedzi for the very first time. :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree, Pietie. We have run into mog/mist several times on the Belfast-Dullstroom-Lydenburg road and, if you don't know the road very well, it can be rather dangerous. Also pot holes on that road. But it is still the best way to get through to Klaserie and then to Orpen.

In mid-June we also had fog/thick mist on the N4 from just outside Pretoria to past the Ultra-City (over 100 km). People came speeding past, thinking that having hazard lights on makes one invincible!!

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:59 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

As of June this year that road has been repaired and is now again in a good condition. The construction has been completed.

If you leave Orpen at 7 am you should be more than safe. Hoedspruit to Pretoria is 5 hours. Add another hour for Johannesburg and half an hour for Orpen to Hoedspruit. This includes at least one quick pitstop.

That allows 4 hours plus as a safety margin. :thumbs_up:

There are a Spar and Pick 'n Pay Supermarket at Hazyview for shopping. Then you can enter at either Kruger Gate or if you have a bit more time, for a longer drive inside the KNP itself, Phabeni gate.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:10 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Firstly, a very warm welcome Darth :D

I see that the 30th August is a Sunday. That is good news. We are then not looking at hectic week day traffic.

Your plan is very feasable. I am not sure which camp you will be staying at for the first night, but the gate closing time is 6pm. If anything should happen to delay you, phone Numbi as soon as possible. The number is 013 735 5133. They are very accomodating if they have prior warning.

The road to Nelspruit is fairly straight forward. I would suggest that you take the "Schoemanskloof" pass road to Nelspruit after the Machadodorp toll. It is the route veering to the left. It tends to have less traffic, particularly big trucks. It is also in very good condition.

Depending on your time, I would make one of two suggestions. If you are not in a hurry, you can go via Hazyview on the R40. There is a very substantial Mall in Hazyview where you can do some shopping. If you are a little more rushed for time, there is a convenient shopping centre with a good "Spar" on the main route in Nelspruit.

It is just before the White River turn off on the left hand side of the road. Maybe someone can help you with the name of the centre.

If you take this option, you can go straight to Numbi Gate on the R538. It is a turning to the right almost immediately after exiting White River.

I am sending you a pm of suggested stop over for you home journey.

Post subject: Driving from Nelspruit to enter Kruger at Punda
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:08 pm 

Hi all,

Not sure if I can post here so apologies if not and please feel free to remove. We are spending 2 1/2 weeks in Kruger in Jan but have decided to start right far north at Punda and are flying into Nelspruit from UK via JNB.

We would like to take 2 nights to drive up. 1.5 days really to get an early start into the park after the 2nd night.

We would like to see Blyde River Canyon but have no real idea on timescales/options available. Is it even possible in this time?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Driving from Nelspruit to enter Kruger at Punda
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:14 pm 

Cees wrote:
Hi Lastpride,

It depends a bit of your arrival time at Nelspruit, but I would recommend staying in Graskop and perhaps Phalaborwa.
From Phalaborwa you can enter directly the Phalaborwa Kruger gate at 5.30, this will give you lots of time to travel North to Punda Maria.
Alternatively you can leave Phalaborwa at 5.30 in Westerly direction and travel via Gravelotte to Letsitele (R71). Just after Letsitele you turn North to Gyani (R529) (not on the map posted by Elsa). After Gyani Further North to Punda Maria Gate (R81 and R 524) This however will take between 3 1/2 and 4 hours if you stick to the speedlimits (you rather do because there are lots of speed cops on the road between Letsitele and Punda Gate nowadays)

I will PM you names of a nice Guesthouse in Graskop and a cozy/intimate B&B in Phalaborwa :lol:

Kind regards from a sunny and nice warm Phalaborwa,
Cees 8)

:clap:

I'd go with this one. Basically all the exciting and interesting stuff to see is pretty much between Nelspriut and Phalaborwa. Not too sure what the road is like further north or if there is anything worth seeing between Phalaborwa and Giyani.

It is a very long drive too so rather spend as much time in the park as possible.

There is a nice loop from close to the Phalaborwa gate which will take you to north or Letaba and is probably an area you may not get to see on your way down the park. (Assuming of course, that is your plan.)

Places of interest outside the park on your way up, Bourkes Luck potholes. Loads of water falls. God's Window is a spectacular view over the lowveld from the plateau. Last thing really worth seeing is the three rondavels and that is pretty close to Phalaborwa anyway.

Maybe spend Friday night in Sabie and Saturday night in Phalaborwa. That will give you ample time for a leisurely cruise around the good stuff to see outside the park and help maximise your time insidethe park. Take a nice slow dat drive to Punda inside the park.

Great Idea Cees. I am glad I thought of it. :lol:

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject: Re: Driving from Nelspruit to enter Kruger at Punda
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:10 pm 

If you would really like to spend some time at the Blyde River Canyon and not just drive through with a short hop out to watch, I suggest you stay at the Forever Resort Blyde Canyon.
There are some different vantage points than from the main road and it is a lovely resort.
However, Graskop is also a good choice, with much to see all the way from Sabie to Blyde Canyon - Waterfalls: Lone Creek, Horseshoe, Bridal Veil, Mac Mac, Maria Shires, Forest Falls (my favourite), Lisbon, Berlin; then also Gods Window, Bourkes Luck, natural bridge just outside Graskop and pancakes at Scotts in Pilgrims Rest.
Too much to fit into a day.
Decide what you want to focus on - if it is the Canyon, I suggest the Forever Resort right at the Canyon. Beautiful place. Enjoy.

For the trip further north, I am not too familiar with the area.
But why not stay the extra night at Punda Maria camp (it is very close to the gate)?
People often try and sleep the night before they enter Kruger Park outside the park with the idea to make an early entry into the park the next day.
I much rather prefer to sleep that "extra night" in the park, even if I get there late during the day.
You can still make the "early start" the next day, but from within the park!
I am not sure what the distance is from Blyde River Canyon to Punda Maria gate, perhaps someone else on the forum can assist.

Post subject: Tzaneen to Punda Maria - best route
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:56 pm 

Good day everyone.

I am spending a week in Kruger Park in November. We travel from Scotland to Joburg and then drive to Tzaneen for a night. We are then going to Punda Maria for 2 nights, Bateleur for 1, Olifants for 2 and Skukuza for 2.

As far as getting from Tzaneen to Punda Maria are we best to take the R36 and R81 to Giyani or the R71 and R529. They look about the same distances but I just wandered if one was quicker, easier than the other. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is an area that we do not know, as previously travelled to Phalaborwa gate from Mount Sheba near Pilgrims Rest.

Many thanks.

Katy

P.S only 45 days to go!! :D :D :D :D :D

Olifants 16-17 Nov
Skukuza 18-19 Nov
De Hoop Nature Reserve 23-24 Nov

Post subject: Re: Tzaneen to Punda Maria - best route
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:16 pm 

Hi Caledonian35 and welcome.
We recently did that trip and the quickest route to Punda Maria is the R36 and then the R81. In fact if you look at the map, before Mooketse there is a road (long side of the triangle) shown as 17 kms from the R36 up to the R81 - you can take this road (it is a good tar road) and save some kms instead of going all the way to Mooketse then turning right onto the R81.

Post subject: Pretoria to Phalaborwa gate
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:53 am 

The two routes in question are:
- N1 to Polokwane, Tzaneen, Gravelotte, Phalaborwa gate
- N4 to Belfast, Lydenburg, Hoedspruit, Phalaborwa gate

We will be leaving late afternoon and travelling early evening with a caravan en tow. What would be the fastest/safest route from Pretoria to Phalaborwa? I have never done the Polokwane/Tzaneen/Phalaborwa road and heard that the going might be slow? Which route do you take and why?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next