Skip to Content

Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
PietSkiet
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread postby PietSkiet » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:12 am

Not to worry LL, I noticed accroding to SA explorer it is 166km from LT to Pafuri, so I think it will make a good stop for a comfort break in any event
Latest TR viewtopic.php?f=27&t=85674

Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015
Roodewal 26 December 2015 - 28 December 2015

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Snoobab » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:45 am

A word of advice, I travelled the R36 between Lydenburg and the N4 highway on 3rd Jan. This road is now a no go, the potholes have completely broken the road up. I was in a Toyota Prado but anyone in a sedan would not get through without possible damage. There are stages where you have a stop and let oncoming traffic pass so you can go onto the other side of the road to drive around the pothole and some of these spots are on blind rises which makes it very dangerous.

Indiajane

Unread postby Indiajane » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:18 pm

We are travelling from Pretoria to Orpen Gate next week - I am from CT so don't know the roads well. It seems that the R36 is difficult now - does it make sense to go to Nelspruit then take the R40 up to Hazyview / Klaserie and turn off to Orpen Gate at Klaserie? It mentions on the KNP homepage that the R40 is good at the moment. I would appreciate any advice. thanks

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:27 pm

Indiajane the R40 is a good road, most of the way. It is just slow through the Bushbuckridge area - speed limits, pedestrians, animals in road etc. The road was, when we last did it, free of potholes, which is a blessing.
It is probably preferable to the R36 with all its potholes now.

Have a wonderful trip!!
KTP May 2015

Indiajane

Unread postby Indiajane » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:45 pm

thank you! I have poured over my maps and it certainly is the most straightforward way - can't wait, it has been a whole year since I have been.

Hansie11

Unread postby Hansie11 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi everyone,
Hope you all are enjoying the day. Very hot here in Strand today. Not even the sea breeze can be cool today.
I will be travelling to Phalaborwa gate in June this year. I know it's still 5 months, but I like to be prepared.
Some people advise to use the R71 and others the R81. I normally go to Malelane or Numbi gates, but we are visiting the nothern part of KNP this year. I don't know the roads from Jhb to Phalaborwa at all. Some advice would be great. I heard there were some protest actions on the R71 in the past.
I will be towing a Echo3 with a Pajero, but friends of ours are towing a caravan with a VW kombi 1.9D. Will it be better to avoid the mountains and Magoebaskloof with a caravan?
Have a great day

Hansie
29 June - 10 July!!!!!!

Ngiri

Unread postby Ngiri » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:02 am

Good morning Mites.

We'll be travelling to Pretoriuskop at the end of Feb. I was planning on going via Dullstroom and on to Lydenburg on the R540. Does anyone know the state of the R540 since the R36 is in such a bad state at the moment?

Thank you
Greg
Kruger 2015
21-25 Feb - Pretoriuskop
26 Feb-2 March - Lower Sabie
3-8 Mar - Skukuza

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:47 am

Ngiri - I would tend to stay on the N4 for as long as possible - it is a well-maintained, fast road. The Belfast - Dullstroom - Lydenburg road is notorious for potholes - as soon as they fix them, more appear!

I would then either continue to Malelane Gate and then take the dirt Voortrekker Road (H2-2) across to Pretoriuskop or continue up the tar H3 to the tar H1-1 across to Pretoriuskop.

You could also turn off the Nelspruit bypass onto the R40 and go up through White River to Hazyview and enter at Phabeni Gate and drive down to Pretoriuskop. You could, at a pinch, enter at Numbi Gate off the R40, but recently visitors have been advised to avoid Numbi and enter at Phabeni.
KTP May 2015

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Snoobab » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:28 am

Hi Hansie11

Where in the north are you staying? We stayed at Shingwedzi in Dec/Jan and it is actually quicker to drive up to Punda gate and down to Shingwedzi than enter at Phalaborwa. I'm a camper so like to get to camps as soon as possible to get a good site.
The road from Louis Trichardt to Punda Gate is in good condition. In Nov I did the R81 which to me is a better option than the R71, so if you want to enter at Phalaborwa then to me take the R81. It is slightly longer than R71 but no potholes and you miss the steep Magoebaskloof pass and avoid going past Moria

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:48 pm

I agree that the R81 is preferable to the R71 to get to Tzaneen and then on to the Phalaborwa Gate.

Today Punda Maria Gate is inaccessible due to service delivery protests - so I suggest people phone Punda Maria Gate before attempting to enter the park there.
KTP May 2015

Hansie11

Unread postby Hansie11 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi guys,
I'll be staying in Letaba, so I have to go in at Phalaborwa. Thanks for the advice. I also did not like the idea of travelling through Moria and that pass.

Greetings

Hansie
29 June - 10 July!!!!!!

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RobertT » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:30 pm

You don't have to go down Magoebaskloof, you could turn off just after Haenerstburg and take the Georges Valley road. It is the recommended road for caravans and trucks. It is a more gentle descent than Magoebaskloof.

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Snoobab » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:01 am

Just a word of advice if you take the R81, it is not very well sign posted. When travelling north on the N1 you actually take the R71 off-ramp but then instead of turning right onto the R71 you go straight and travel next to the N1 to the next off-Ramp and then turn right onto the R81. For some weird reason there is no off-ramp for the R81.

Hansie11

Unread postby Hansie11 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:23 pm

Tx Snoobab. I will watch out for that.
Robert T. I heard that that road is not very good (potholes etc). I would like to avoid the trucks anyway.

Regards
29 June - 10 July!!!!!!

Ngiri

Unread postby Ngiri » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:52 am

Thanks Hippotragus, I think I'm still going to go that route. I want to visit Dullstroom and go via the Long Tom Pass to Sabie.

We have all day so can go slow up the R540 to Lydenburg.
Kruger 2015
21-25 Feb - Pretoriuskop
26 Feb-2 March - Lower Sabie
3-8 Mar - Skukuza

Return to “Kruger National Park”