Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best road to Phabeni Gate
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:01 pm 

Stop and goes on the R40 - White River to Hazyview - are all now complete, so you should be fine.

Post subject: Re: Best road to Phabeni Gate
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Traveled to Paul Kruger gate via Phabeni last month. We did the N4 then took the R539 , R37, R532 to Sabie and then the R536 to Hazyview, and then to Phabeni. Roads were in perfect nick and it is a quite scenic route, I definitely recommend it as an alternative.

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just back from a brief trip to Kruger (spur-of-the-moment thing), and I drove some routes to and from Kruger that I had previously done (and recommended). However, six months appears to be a long time in the case of road conditions!

In this case I drove to Pretoria from Orpen, and did what I would normally do: Towards Klaserie-Hoedspruit road-Ohrigstad-Lydenburg-Dullstroom-Belfast-N4. I must admit that it will a long time before I attempt that route again! Quite frankly, the roads are quite good for large portions, but unfortunately the 25 km sections either side of Lydenburg are now getting dangerous. A large proportion of the potholes on these sections (in many cases all across the road) are now of the journey-ending variety. In moderate to heavy traffic (trucks!) it is virtually impossible to miss some of these potholes (other than coming to a complete stop and waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear so that you may use the oncoming traffic lane). I would guess that the safe speed for that 50 km section would be about 40 - 50 km/h.

In the future I will gladly take the pedestrian traffic/taxis/cattle (plenty of that on the other route as well) on the R40!

Anyhow, I wonder if a topic "Roads to Kruger Updates" or something similar might be appropriate? Then people that want to report changes/challenges/etc can do so (rather than this topic which deals with general questions as well as road condition discussions).

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Schoemanskloof road works aren't much of issue, there is currently only one stop and go with a minor delay. Unfortunately the Stop and Goes between Nelspruit and Malelane can cause rather long delays if you hit them at the wrong time. I would enter via Phabeni.

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Post subject: Re: Driving from JHB International to Kruger - Directions
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I haven't done the route in a very long time so would like some advice on the best route from the Vaal Triangle to Phalaborwa.

I used to go via Polokwane. Should we rather go via Orighstad?

Post subject: Re: Driving from JHB International to Kruger - Directions
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi GP

I would rather go via Polokwane. The N1 has been upgraded in several areas and is an easy drive. You will have toll booths north of Pretoria and the new e-tolls around Jhb, but I think it is still a better road. You can get on the N1 near Vanderbijlpark and just stay on it. There have been roadworks between Polokwane and Tzaneen, but I don't know the current status - maybe someone else can help.

If you go via Ohrigstad you will still go N1 from Vanderbijlpark and turn onto the N4 at Pretoria. The N4 is also tolled. The N4 itself is a pretty good road. But after you turn off at Belfast to go through Dullstroom, Lydenburg and Ohrigstad the road has many potholes, speed limits, bends and slow traffic. It is scenic in places but, if you want to get from A to B as easily as possible, I would go on the N1.

Good luck with your planning and have a great trip.

KTP May 2015

Post subject: Roadworks - Schoemanskloof
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:27 pm 

Hi Mites, can anyone please tell me if there are still roadworks on Schoemanskloof as it's been a while since I've gone that way. Appreciate any feedback.

Horrace

Post subject: Re: Roadworks - Schoemanskloof
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:04 am 

We drove between Polokwane and Tzaneen over the previous weekend. Driving was a pleasure. :lol:

The road works seems completed, including markings. The only thing is that the notice boards at Haenertsburg proposed the alternative route, which was outdated and unnecessary.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:14 pm 

Just an update on Schoemanskloof. Travelled the road on the weekend. While the road is good, as mentioned earlier there are no lines for many, many km. This means the speed limit has been reduced to 80km an hour. For those who enjoyed stoping at Joubert & Sons - the road stall is also currently closed (probably because it is not citrus season).

Horrace

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The road 25 km either side of Lydenburg is BADLY potholed. These are potholes of the journey-ending variety. If you plan to use this route, plan on averaging 40 km/h for that 50 km section (this is imho the safe speed for this section).

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JeanniR wrote:
Just remember there are roadworks on the Carolina road as well now... So that might delay you a bit :whistle:

No sign of road works when i used the route.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:49 am 

Hi Everybody, I am planning to enter the Park through the Phalaborwa gate beginning of March. The road to Polokwane looks OK, but I do not know the R71 from Polokwane to gate via Tzaneen. Is the Road safe and in good condition? Somebody please help, Regards, Ronniec

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just did the road 2 weeks ago via Polokwane, Magoebaskloof, Tzaneen, Gravellote to Phalaborwa, road was fine.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Traveling from OR Tambo to Satara. Any advice re best route, road condition and distance/travel time would be very welcome. Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:27 pm 

Location: Germany: 15622 km from Croc Bridge (Google Maps Route); 8783 km direct flight
@ normana53
R36 via Lydenburg is definitely not an option:
see postings at
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=76866

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next