Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: heavy trucks
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:42 pm 

Good day

There are pictures on Face Book under Sanpark page showing heavy duty trucks going through gates. There are a lot of messages posted on the site. Cpuld someone clear this up please as once again the public are getting stirred up. I would be happy to hear the actual facts. It does look bad if you look at the photos. Can someone respond please.

Thanks very much

Post subject: Re: heavy trucks
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:46 pm 

Hi Nicolette, your post has been forwarded to SANParks PR.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The pic of the seriously overloaded bakkie with garden chair(s) on it interests me as well.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The pics currently doing rounds on apps and emails of the bakkie that are seriously overloaded who are allowed access into Kruger and those massive Cargo trucks travelling through the Kruger are currently doing a lot of harm to the reputation of the Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:03 pm 

Reply from SANParks/Lesego:

Quote:
Permission was duly granted for the trucks to pass through as a result of unrests in the Bushbuckridge area. The trucks provide essential service to various areas adjacent to the park including the park itself.
SANParks controls access into all its national parks and decisions such as this are not common and special concession is made to allow such movements as guided by policy. In this case, open communications between the entry and exit points was kept at all times.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thank you for the feedback DB. It is good to know that such concessions are not common practice as indicated above. I think the road network of the Kruger National Park was not designed for heavy trucking. Heavy trucking will rip the road network of Kruger to shreds in a short space of time.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Thanks. Is their speed monitored and are they sensitive to the paying customer viewing game?

And the bakkie?

That is the key question!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:30 pm 

yoda wrote:
Nicolette wrote:
Thank you Just want to get it cleared before it becomes a huge issue

Really?
So Krugers roads are now being used as a public thoroughfair and it's not a huge issue?

I think it's a major issue :hmz:

I would like to know where these trucks/poles came from, where they are going and how this provides an essential to the park

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Greetings

I am amazed at some of the responses to this post; specifically AFTER SAN parks has issued a simple and reasonable response to the enquiry. "Permission was duly granted for the trucks to pass through as a result of unrests in the Bushbuckridge area. The trucks provide essential service to various areas adjacent to the park including the park itself.....DECISIONS SUCH AS THIS ARE NOT COMMON.

What's so difficult not to understand????

SANPark made a decision to assist people of communities which surrounds its perimeter. If roads had been flooded and you lived in a community cut off with no food or medical supplies and the only way to assist would be via KNP roadways, would you be sitting in your lounge complaining as much as you are now?? No difference really. Just a thought.

And in response to your concerns about these trucks impacting on the paying customer.... no reports were received that any of these trucks exceeded the speed limit for that period. For years now, THIS forum is FULL of reports of paying customers who speed, and perhaps its 'paying customers' who should be tracked and monitored the most!

Build a bridge. Kruger does not BELONG to you, me or ANY one of us!

SANPark made a decision to assist communities. Get it?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:05 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The fact of the matter is that, in some cases, KNP is the shortest (or easiest/best in this case) option in between two points. This instance and the response from sanparks seems reasonable to me.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

yoda wrote:
404-504,

I have "built a bridge", as has every person who visits Kruger, in the form of a levy. Which as far as I am aware, is for the developement of those communites living outside the Park.
If there are people who are suffering due to the unrest, it is coming from within their own communities.
The same communities that are already being subsidised by visitors to Kruger

Hello Yoda
Thanks for the comments. However, I think you're missing my point entirely.
Only question I have for you; if roads were washed away in floods, would you also object if SANParks gave permission for trucks to access via KNP roadways to supply food etc to cut-off communities? Look past the reason why the roads were blocked off, because that's irrelevant.

As far as the levy goes - I see nothing wrong with contributing in order for a tiny piece of a MULTI-BILLION rand pie to be shared with the families of people who may clean our camp braai and empty our campsite dustbins each day; while we ride around Kruger in our fancy cars oohing and aaahing, marvelling at just how fortunate and spoilt we are.

Finally, I'm really, really glad you've built the bridge.
Just hoping now you can get over it...

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:15 am 

4O4-5O4 wrote:
As far as the levy goes - I see nothing wrong with contributing in order for a tiny piece of a MULTI-BILLION rand pie to be shared with the families of people who may clean our camp braai and empty our campsite dustbins each day; while we ride around Kruger in our fancy cars oohing and aaahing, marvelling at just how fortunate and spoilt we are. .

Agreed.

It has been stated that this is a very unusual circumstance. It has also been stated that:
Quote:
In this case, open communications between the entry and exit points was kept at all times.

I would assume that if a truck arrive at the exit gate an hour before it is expected, there would be hell to pay. As long as that precaution is taken, and as long as it doesn't continue long enough to do real damage to the road system, I would say well done to SANParks for opening their hearts (and their park) in order to assist the 10s of thousands of innocent people who have to suffer because a few hundred or so thugs have come to the conclusion that violence is the only language their government understands, and to hell with the people around them who just want to live their lives in peace.

I am MUCH more worried about the overloaded bakkie. I can't see what business a vehicle like that could possibly have in Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:49 am 

RobertT wrote:
I would have no problem if roads were washed away or a natural disaster forced essential services or communities needing to use the roads, totally different to this scenario.

I fail to see how treated poles are an essential service :? The only reason they went through the park is avoid roadworks and a shorter route. They could have taken a longer route around the unrests, unrests which generally last a day or so anyhow.

I agree with you RobertT and I also fail to see how treated poles are an essential service. It's not food or medical supplies, hence the reason I ask what the poles are going to be used for, especially since there is what looks to be Mozambique permit entry stickers on the trucks.

Have all seen the pictures :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

4O4-5O4 wrote:
Look past the reason why the roads were blocked off, because that's irrelevant.
Really? Why?

Johan

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

4O4-5O4 wrote:

SANPark made a decision to assist people of communities which surrounds its perimeter. If roads had been flooded and you lived in a community cut off with no food or medical supplies and the only way to assist would be via KNP roadways, would you be sitting in your lounge complaining as much as you are now?? No difference really. Just a thought.

SANPark made a decision to assist communities. Get it?

Just a thought here, the communities are protesting because of issues with .Gov. The protest are done to make life difficult and the more difficult the quicker notice/response from .gov. Are then SANParks by allowing the trucks to go through the park then not actually working counter to what the communities are trying to achieve? :hmz: :whistle: :lol: