Skip to content Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 4 of 4
 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: March 2014 Rains/Floods in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:05 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:25 am
Posts: 1338
Location: Groenkloof
Kruger National Park heavy rains update

Date: 2nd April 2014

An update on the heavy rains in the Kruger National Park as on 24 March 2014 at 09:00.

Latest update

Talamati Bush Camp is open.
Biyamiti Bush Camp is open and can only be accessed via the H2-2 from Afsaal picnic spot.
Wolhuter Trails closed until 29 March 2014.
Boesman Trails closed until 29 March 2014.
Olifants Trail is open.
Nyalaland Fly is open.
Balule Satellite Camp is open.
Sirheni Bush Camp is open.
Bateleur Bush Camp is open.
Shimuwini Bush Camp is open.

Bird Hides

Sable Hide is open.
Roads and Bridges

Gravel roads in the Marula Region still closed, with the exception of the roads listed below.
The following gravel roads have been reopened in the Marula Region:

H2-2 (Afsaal - Pretoriuskop)
S36 (from H7 - S145)
S114 (open from H1-1 to S23)
S25 (from H4-2 to S26)
S3 (from H11 to S1)

The following roads are closed in the Nxanatseni Region:

S64 from Punda Maria to Thulamela

Gates/Ports of entry:

Crocodile Bridge Gate is open.

Picnic Spots:

Tshokwane Picnic Site is open.
Pafuri Picnic Spot is open.

Please Note:

All main camps are not affected the park is still accessible. For more information call the central reservation on 012 428 9111 or the Emergency number 013 735 4029.

For media enquiries:
Reynold Thakhuli
Acting Head of Communications, SANParks
Tel: 012 426 5203; Cell: 073 373 4999

Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Tel: (012) 426 5202

 Post subject: Re: March 2014 Rains/Floods in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:48 am 

Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:06 pm
Posts: 18
Have just returned from what was supposed to be 2 nights at Biyamiti and 3 at Lower Sabie. Sunday evening the 30th April on our 2nd night the heavens opened and torrents of rain fell during the night. We watched the Biyamiti River fill with water within a couple of minutes. We were not allowed out of camp at all on the Monday due to the conditions of the roads. It was later established that that there was a breach in the road at one of the drainage lines water was flowing across quite heavily. So we sat and waited and waited and waited. On Tuesday @ about 12 they opened the camp gates and we could drive as far as the Mlambane Bridge which was also under water and been badly damaged. The access bridge near the Talamiti exit is impassable still- repairs have not yet been executed so that road is closed. The roads were very wet and slippery and a challenge in places. We learnt on Tuesday eve that there had been 4 breaches in the road from H2-2 to Biyamiti and that the were working on grading and fixing the roads, so we had to spend another night in camp. By Tuesday eve the guests were getting very angry and frustrated, as well as running out of supplies, and there was very scant information coming through. To make matters worse the camp manager was not at the camp. Surprise and Ezekele did an amazing job of handling everyone's complaints, but they too had very limited info. On Wednesday morning there were a number of guests decided to take matters into their own hands and evacuate via the bridge at Mlambane. So a convoy of about 7/8 cars left crossing at about 11 over a very steep entrance down into a flooded river. News then came to us that work on the drainage line outside camp had begun as well as work on the Mlambane bridge were they were going to execute a temporary repair. We were advised that the drainage line would take most of the day to repair until about 4 by which time it would be too late to go to LS. So we drove to Mlambane bridge at about 2 and watched them make a temporary repair to the bridge and we got over at about 3:30. The weir itself is not damaged, but was impassable due to the sheer volume of water coming over. The road from the H2-2 should be repaired but someone posted on Facebook that the drifts were quiet deep and a bit of a challenge. Mlambane bridge was going to be closed from Thursday so that they could start work on fixing the bridge. The frustrating part was that each day we were told that hopefully by 4 that afternoon we would be able to leave. We had no idea of the progress that had been made on the roads or how far the technical team was from camp. Sanparks should learn to inform their guests. Very exciting time but disappointing service from Sanparks. who knows what would happen in a severe emergency

 Post subject: Re: March 2014 Rains/Floods in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:03 pm
Posts: 1440
Location: Trichardt, MP
Gilly Mac,

The S25 is still closed between S114 to S26. You cannot use the S25 to access Biyamiti or Crocodile bridge from Malelane. The Biyamiti weir is open but the small loop towards S139 on the S114 on the left is closed.

S118 still closed, but S121 is opened.

In the north the low water bridge at Balule and Shingwedzi is still closed as well as the S135 toward the low water bridge along the northern bank of the Shingwedzi river.

KTP a place where you can quench your thirst

 Post subject: Re: March 2014 Rains/Floods in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:06 am 

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 1:16 pm
Posts: 29
All roads in the south were open last week except S118 which they were working on.

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mant and 4 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Webcams Highlights

Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Submitted by Mavis65 at 14:22:05 Submitted by Kiepersol at 14:29:18 Submitted by Philip1 at 18:22:17 Submitted by Grit1962 at 14:07:28