Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Use of two-way radios / walkie talkies
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

According to this article http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/NewsDetails.aspx?newsId=71894#, commercial safari operators may not use two-way radios.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If the use of cell phones is restricted to gates and camps what on earth is the point of continuously requesting people to phone the emergency number when required. Often one travels through areas where there is a whiff of a signal and its enough to receive text messages on a cell phone. Not all of us are privileged enough to go to the Park and never have to deal with work problems or an alarm that is going off at home.

I can categorically state that the supposed ban on the use of radios to call in sightings is being completely and utterly ignored by Outside Safari Vehicles. Sadly we have had the rough edge of their tongues at several sightings. Once at Mlondozi dam road an OSV guide was very rude to us as he thought that our vehicle was running but in fact it was the fan at the front of the old Volkswagen TDI bus that comes on when one stops. On another occasion at a mating lion sighting where the OSV arrived in their droves on the S114 we were told after having been there for 5 mins that we should move on as his guests could not see over our Kombi. Tell me how it is possible to arrive in such numbers (there must have been 13 or 14 OSV's) if it was not announced on a radio.

Sad as what is good for the goose is good for the gander!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:12 pm 

The vehicles that the outside tour operators use should be checked when entering the park and if they have a 2 way radio installed in the vehicle then they should be refused entry and the company penalised. I would say that almost every outside tour operator I have come across has had a two way radio fitted and if not then they make full use of cell phones to call each other.

I realise that they have to make a living but not at the expense of crowding out the guests who have paid large sums of money to stay in the park.

26/10/14 Tsendze
28/10/14 Letaba
30/10/14 Satara
03/11/14 Maroela
05/11/14 Satara
07/11/14 Berg-en-Dal
10/11/14 BOO HOO TIME - Off Home

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I say ban all cell phone 'sightings boards' too. Its sad that as documented openly in many of the trip reports, they are constantly checking up on latest sightings and creating hype around these sightings. In my opinion, it contradicts that what Kruger stands for. Go find your own lion kill and leave other people who find one alone.

Sadly, it appears not many people here have had the privilege of experiencing the Kruger of 30 years ago.

Technology has its place in the world. But ONLY in camps and outside the park.

And for those who disagree, Kruger existed for far longer just fine before cell phone reception was introduced. I would bet my bottom dollar too that the increase in animals being run over are directly proportional to the increase in real time 'sighting boards' as more and more visitors speed to reach the next sighting.