Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roads leading to Orpen gate
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:52 pm 

I will be in KNP in Sept 2014, are the activist/protest a year round situation. Will they still be protesting then near Orpen gate?

Thanks,
Clark

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:46 pm 

Kicker Cat wrote:
From Eastgate take the road towards Springs - think it is the R12 - head toward Witbank and then on to Nelspruit - then on to White River and Hazyview - USE ONLY the R40 - DON'T take the road via NUMBI (R356)

From Hazyview - get a check to see if there is any activity on the Road up to Bushbuckridge / Acornhoek - suggest you just pull inot the Police Station - right alongside the road into Hazyview - if there IS trouble turn right at the Hzyview Mall and head for Phabeni Gate and go up through the park - if No troubles on the R40 - go up past Acornhoek and then turn right and go in at Orpen

I often go and enter at Orpen but then I travel that road at 05:30 in the morning before the activists get going.

Just be careful of the trucks - they do crazy things.

Kicker Cat, Eastgate Airport at Hoedspruit, not the shopping centre in Jhb.

Post subject: Re: Very bad potholes R40
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:38 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hippotragus wrote:
Between Hazyview and White River (about 30 km from Nelspruit) southbound lane has huge potholes. Came that way this morning and saw 3 or 4 cars with blown tyres! Be careful!

Also R40 from Phalaborwa to Mica...............more potholes than road!!!! :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:13 pm 

Bennievis wrote:
I know this is not the place to complain, but surely someone must take responsibility for any accidents and lost of life caused by potholes.
I am lucky to still be here today after hitting a pothole and loosing two tyres and rimms... :wall: :wall: :wall:

Claims for damages can be made against the road accident fund, but you will spend much more in legal fees than you will get out of it.

A year or 2 ago the mayor of a town was ordered in court to pay for damages and take responsibility for injuries and damage to a car caused by a pothole. So if you feel you want to go that route you can try and blame the mayor in the area, or SANRAL on highways.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:56 pm 

Hi Bennievis

I know what you mean - traveled the Phalaborwa - Mica in February - more like a Super Mario environment.

Have however seen reports that they will be completely replacing this section of road between 2014 and 2015. Lets see if anything actually gets done.

As for compensation for damages - you could possibly approach (putting it in PC context) Palabora Mining - their magnetite trucks en-route to Maputo are the root cause of the poor condition of that particular road.

The other road that seems to be in a very bad way is the main road between Sabie and Hazyview - seems like the authorities think that just putting up pothole warning signs absolves them from their responsibilities.

Post subject: Re: Roads in bad condition (potholed) unrest leading into KN
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Last I heard was that all roads leading to Lydenburg were in a bad condition - lots of huge potholes. Trouble is that, if you are going that way, you don't have much option. Just be very careful!!

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

GlenD wrote:
All im saying is keep well clear of the R36 between Lydenburg and the N4! Yes the others are bad in places but that particular stretch is highly dangerous!

I agree. The R540 between the N4 and Lydenburg is a much better alternative.

Post subject: Re: Condition of N4
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:27 pm 

Mcook wrote:
Elsa, you didn’t happen to drive the road between Komati and Mananga border post. If you did, please advise if it’s ok as I heard that there’s road works.

Yes, there are 4 stop and go's in total.
On the way up in mid Feb we didn't have much delay at all, could have been as the road was very quiet or just lucky?
On the return trip, we did that stretch twice as our car was giving trouble and we had turn round at the last one and retrace our way back to Komatipoort! :doh:
but encountered even less waiting time.
I would estimate less than 15 mins in total.
Not sure what the weekend would be like as both our trips were during the week.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DrPhil wrote:
Thanks for the advice the plan was to take the R540 past Dullstroom

Take care; overall the road is in OK nick, but there are some serious potholes that sneak up on you. Some even before you get to Dullstroom, and then about 20 km before Lydenburg. I think it is because the road is in good condition overall that one tends to be travelling a little fast when the potholes suddenly jump out in front of you! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

PietSkiet wrote:
Hi Yahya,

We drove the Orighstad-Belfast road last week Sunday and it was terrible, especially the road between Orighstad and Lydenburg. The potholes are huge and you can't swerve away to much, cause there is nowhere to swerve to. Saw a number of cars next to the road fixing tyres and having other issues, try and avoid this road if possibl

We also drove this route (Ohrigstad- Belfast) about two weeks ago and I agree: it is in a very poor condition. However, I prefer that to having potholes AND insane drivers on the route via Bushbuckridge ...

As for the stay in Tamboti? All I can say it is my new favourite camp!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

TR: Darrlin, lets go to Kruugha!
TR: Looking for them Tigers near Skoo-Ka-Zoo
TR: Impala Kisses and Banana Birds
TR: Dupacc and Darrlin saw birdies and kitties

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:54 pm 

Hi Barry

I will be travelling up that way twice in the next month and will update on this page as to how the Lydenburg road is.

The R40 is always very frustrating as you often only travel at about 60km per hour, that section from Nelspruit to Orpen turnoff can take more that 2 and a half hours.

Satara 25 & 26 April 2014
Mopani 27 & 28 April 2014
Punda Maria 29 & 30 April 2014

11-13 May 2014 Kruger lodge

Satara 15-18 June 2014
Lower Sabie 19 - 22 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:54 pm 

Hi all, hope you well... just returned from 5 days in Kruger :D

I took your advice and traveled the Nelspruit Hazyview road to Orpen...
The road is in good condition , one bad pothole after Acornhoek and a few on the last stretch (that is after the last right turn towards the gate) I passed Bushbuck Ridge and Acornhoek between 12and 1 pm, no issue with any drivers - a few that were very slow but nothing of concern...

Thanks again...
Regards
Yahya

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:25 pm 

Barry, we drove the Bushbuckridge - Acornhoek road on Friday, 11 April. Nothing too serious, except a few potholes around the Acornhoek area. We did it mid-morning and traffic was O.K. I will not drive this road in the dark though! Enjoy your preparations!

6-8 July 2015 Tamboti
9 July 2015 Sable
10-12 July 2015 Letaba

30/6-2/7/14 Shingwedzi
3 /7/14 Shipandane
4/7/14 Pretoriuskop
5/7/14 Berg-en-Dal

11 April 2014 Shipandane Hide
12 April 2014 Tambotie

30 June - 4 July 2014 Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:45 pm 

For Latest info - I can confirm that the road to the Numbi Gate is still bad - and and it is not a good area to travel through - rather go via Hazyview and Phabeni Gate

One suggestion - if you see people standing in the road - do not stop for them - rather slow down a bit and drive on - don't stop - just get to the gate.

The Road to Paul Kruger gate is not good at this time - some potholes but being holiday with long weekend and a short week next week rather use Phabeni

The road R40 via Hazyview to Bushbuckridge and the Orpen gate is not bad - there are one or two dodgy bits between Busgbuckridge and Acornhoek but they were repairing the bad sections yesterday - just be carefull of the cattle as they have been a nuisance during the last two weeks.

Please note there are a lot of Police (Traffic and Normal) on the road so keep to speed limits.

Have a safe trip.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A lot is said about the road to Numbi, and i'm presuming all reports stem from the direction of White River up to Numbi via the R538.

My question is what is the road like from Hazyview to Numbi, i.e. has anyone taken the R40 to Hazyview and then backtracked the 10 odd km's to the Numbi turnoff? Its a lot less time and distance spent on the R538.

Not everyone wants to enter at Phabeni, especially when staying at Pretoriuskop and towing a trailer/caravan.