Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: R36 from Lydenburg to R539
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:23 am 

The R36 from Lydenburg past the Kwena dam to the R539 is in a terrible state. I have never encountered any road in a worse condition, truly a worst case scenario. Many sections of the road cannot simply be repaired or patched up - complete rebuilding is required. I cannot imagine anyone towing a trailer having to negotiate many of the sections with potholes up to a half a meter deep! I don't know of any plans to revamp this road, but in any event, it will take years to rebuild.
PLEASE do not use this road!!! :cry:

Post subject: Re: R36 from Lydenburg to R539
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:51 am 

The R539 is the alternative to the N4 via Schoemanskloof to Nelspruit, i.e. runs sort of 'parallel' to the N4. See URL: https://maps.google.com/ and search R36, Mpumalanga, South Africa.
I would have added the image but don't know how to.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Stoffel - the R36 joins the R539 at the Bambi Inn. For several years it has been in a terrible state - it is half-heartedly repaired and then, when it rains, it washes away again. I hate it in daylight in my large 4x4 and can't imagine what it would be like at night in a small car or on a motorbike - suicidal.

The R539 is, as Tollie says, the alternative to the "old" N4. The R539 is very well-maintained and is a good alternative to the original N4 (I think it is also maintained by the toll company - hence its good state).

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have been saying this for a while now. I even broke a front shock absorber on this road in 2012.

Ill never use this road again, its an utter disgrace and highly dangerous.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:45 pm 

Location: Germany: 15622 km from Croc Bridge (Google Maps Route); 8783 km direct flight
Can confirm reports about R36. We used it in October; no straight-on driving possible. You constantly had to look for a way through the potholes, sometimes we even had to stop completely. Very dangerous with all the upcoming traffic incl. trucks suddenly avoiding potholes and using the opposite lane.
Stay away. :naughty:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
What pot holes? Those aren't pot holes. They're open-cast strip mines!!! Or even impact craters from extinction event asteroids, at the very least ...

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nice one Porridge! Only problem is that the open cast mining is in the middle of a public road - subsidised by tax- and rate- payers!

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:03 pm 

Now if this is not coincidental - Story on New24: Officials act after woman takes bath in pothole
2014-01-07 14:21

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Officials-act-after-woman-takes-bath-in-pothole-20140107

For convenience sake I publish the article as follows (unless you want to see the bikini clad lady in the pothole):

Johannesburg - Social media was abuzz following the story about a woman who decided to prove a point and take a bath in one of the potholes last week, a Sapa correspondent reported.

The story made front-page headlines over the weekend.

Lydenburg Guest Farm owner Alison Botha and volunteer teacher Rosie Morrison recently published photos of Morrison taking a bath in one of the potholes on the R36.

Morrison was armed with a shower cap, book, glass of wine, and shampoo.

The two women posted the photos on Facebook and encouraged people to spread the message that government had to fix potholes that threatened the lives of tourists and locals.

"This specific road, the R36 between Machadodorp and Mashishing, has been unusable for years now and it's mainly because there are 40-ton trucks that make use of the road every day due to a lack of railway structure. It is the responsibility of government to fix this road," said Botha.

Botha said she used to take guests out on horse trails, but the road had become so damaged that neither her horses nor vehicles could use it.

"It's simply too dangerous," said Botha.

Damage caused by trucks

The Mpumalanga transport department has blamed the deterioration of the R36 between Machadodorp and Mashishing (formerly Lydenburg) in Mpumalanga on heavy trucks and rain.

"Much maintenance has been done on the road, but the large number of heavy trucks from various mines that use the road have contributed to the deterioration of the road," department spokesperson Dumisani Malamule said.

"The road has now deteriorated to the point where patching is not a feasible option anymore, but rehabilitation is required."

Malamule said the rehabilitation would be done in the 2014/15 financial year, adding that government would make every effort to ensure the road was rehabilitated.

"As we are approaching the end of the current financial year, all efforts are being made to ensure that rehabilitation of the road is done in the 2014/15 financial year. The MEC will pronounce the plans for the provincial road network during the 2014/15 policy and budget speech."

- SAPA

Post subject: Re: Roads leading to Orpen gate
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Albert wrote:
N4 to Nelspruit, then via White River and R40 to Hazyview. Then just continue with the R40 to the turnoff towards Orpen. Previously I would have suggested Belfast-Dullstroom-Lydenburg-Ohrigstad, but the road from about 20 km either side of Lydenburg was quite badly potholed when I last travelled it in November 2013. I will also be in the KNP from May 24!

Hi BarryC

I on the other hand would Rather go the Lydenburg route. I say this because I would much rather travel slowly through Lydenburg and Ohrigstad knowing there are potholes there, than have to drive through Bushbuck and have to deal with Insane Drivers

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:21 pm 

Hi all,

I am also visiting Tamboti in March, so I have the same question.

i am almost tempted to just enter at Phabeni and cruise up. I drove the road between Hazyview and Bushbuckridge once and swore never again.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Barryc, this is a tricky one. Considering all the feedback, I have driven both roads in the past 3 months.

There are pros and cons to both. If you prefer a scenic road, then go via Belfast-Lydenburg-Orighstad. There are potholes, but not as bad as the R40 section to Numbi gate (do not attempt this part).

If you do the Nelspruit R40 - White river - Hazyview - Bushbuckridge road, watch out for speedtraps, trucks and other drivers. The road from Hazyview up north goes through a number of townships and you will travel slowly with lots of activity on the road. The one thing you need to be aware of is possible protests - in those areas. The R40 road is in good condition, just the other factors to consider.

So, I hope I have not confused you more. :hmz:
My choice...I will do the Belfast...Lydenburg via the beautiful Dullstroom town and enjoy the scenery through the tunnel.... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:07 pm 

As per the previous post it mentions most of what I recomended in my earlier post

I have driven the road from Hazyview to Acornhoek three time in the last three days - there have been no problems during this time - agreed you must be mindful of the possibilities of protests - but this info is available on the Radio (Jackaranda FM) and if you have any doubts - stop at the Police Station in Hazyview to check.

I like the suggestion of going in at Phabeni gate and driving up that way - I often do that. The only thing you must remember is that you may see somethng worht stopping for and that can play havoc with your timing.

If you drive the R40 early in the morning then you will have no problems - talking about 06:00

The road from Hazyview to Phabeni is about 12 km's and apart from one or two potholes the road is good.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:09 pm 

See my post on Roads around Kruger

BTW - the R40 does not go to Numbi - the R40 is Good - I drive that road twice a week

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:03 pm 

How about driving from Eastgate/HDS airport to Orpen gate?
What is the best route & what are the hazards?

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:07 am 

I stayed at Orpen Camp last week and collected my Daughter from Eastgate Airport. Leaving the airport head towards main road turn left and the sign for Orpen is just down the road. Condition of road is good. About 40 kms to the Gate.

I travelled from Hazyview on the R40 to get to Orpen, road is also fine up until Hoedspruit, if you travel further with this road onto Phalaborwa as I did, the road is a nightmare. There are more potholes than roads and lots of Trucks.