Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Indian Mynah's in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:25 pm 

Sean I have forwarded the query to SANParks PR.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:41 pm 

MATTHYS wrote:
Your query has been forwarded to SANParks PR, SeanP.

See above Elsa... 14th Feb...

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:42 pm 

Lesego wrote:
Dear 'mites;

I have sent an email to our Scientific Services Department to assist with this query. Will post here once I get a reply.

Lesego's reply on the 19th Feb...

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

After years of research, it's just been discovered that an unknown substance found in the beaks of Indian Mynah birds are a THOUSAND times more potent than rhino-horn. SPREAD THE NEWS!!!!

cheers

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

4O4-5O4 wrote:
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

After years of research, it's just been discovered that an unknown substance found in the beaks of Indian Mynah birds are a THOUSAND times more potent than rhino-horn. SPREAD THE NEWS!!!!

cheers

Now this is a good post.

I am really flabbergasted at some of the responses here. Sorry guys, but you all still miss my point completely.

I am not saying the Myna is not an issue or that SANP is not taking it seriously. Take this from me as someone who have spent years on years birding around South Africa and Kruger, and have had the privilege to spend time with a lot of the Kruger park staff over the years. The feeling is that it is difficult to trace a pair of Myna in one area as birds roam around a vast track of space, so it is more in the line of, as soon as they are found again, eradication will take place immediately.

But SANP can not afford to send out Rangers on a daily basis to go and look for these birds when there is an international crisis on hand with rhino poaching and the whole world's eyes are looking at Kruger and the staff with every move they take.

Believe me, the guys in the positions that look after the conservation of bird life in Kruger, will make sure everything is done to try and eradicate Myna from becoming more widespread, but even this is not guaranteed and it can never be guaranteed.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:13 am 

DotDan wrote:

I am really flabbergasted at some of the responses here. Sorry guys, but you all still miss my point completely.

I am not saying the Myna is not an issue or that SANP is not taking it seriously. Take this from me as someone who have spent years on years birding around South Africa and Kruger, and have had the privilege to spend time with a lot of the Kruger park staff over the years. The feeling is that it is difficult to trace a pair of Myna in one area as birds roam around a vast track of space, so it is more in the line of, as soon as they are found again, eradication will take place immediately.

But SANP can not afford to send out Rangers on a daily basis to go and look for these birds when there is an international crisis on hand with rhino poaching and the whole world's eyes are looking at Kruger and the staff with every move they take.

Believe me, the guys in the positions that look after the conservation of bird life in Kruger, will make sure everything is done to try and eradicate Myna from becoming more widespread, but even this is not guaranteed and it can never be guaranteed.

Succinctly put DD! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:04 pm 

Having studied bird and animal behavior for the last 20 years and having worked in the field, I know that Indian Mynah's have very defined territories. I also know the damage they are capable of. These birds could gain a strong hold in Kruger and cause havoc. Ignorance is bliss!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I highly doubt Sanparks is ignorant, but nou ja, I saw the report of Myna at Sunset dam a while back, and I actually spent 3 days birding the area two weeks ago and not once did I come across any Myna.

I am well aware that they have quite defined territories, but the fact they haven't been reported as of late is maybe a sign that it is not going to be as easy as sitting at Sunset dam and waiting for them...

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:00 pm 

There is a lot of research being conducted in Kruger that is pretty much free of charge and conducted by learning institutions. In addition to the collared lion/leopard/wild dog, tagged vulture/martial eagle, ground hornbill and other such projects... what is wrong with a study on the whereabouts of Myna populations. I have consistently seen Mynahs since 2011 near Lower Sabie (every single visit - which I fear have not been many visits, only 6). Perhaps SANPARKS could let me know who to put a proposal to and I will gladly put together a working group to ID colonies and then put a humane plan together to say goodbye to them.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Interestingly, the Common Myna (Acridotheres tristis) is number three on the list of globally invasive species.

In case you're interested,

Black Wattle (Acacia mearnsii) (plant) is top of the list,
the common malaria mosquito (Anopheles quadrimaculatus) is at number 5

Goat (Capra hircus) is at number 17
Domestic cat (Felis catus) is at 32

Oh, and we mustn't forget, the Yellow Crazy Ant (Anoplolepis gracilipes) is at number 6

hehehehe

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

SeanP wrote:
Having studied bird and animal behavior for the last 20 years and having worked in the field, I know that Indian Mynah's have very defined territories. I also know the damage they are capable of. These birds could gain a strong hold in Kruger and cause havoc. Ignorance is bliss!

Yup, I agree.
It is a problem that cannot be ignored!