Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is your Golden Memory Day in the park?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:38 pm 

dellac wrote:
! and then the actual almost purring sound
as a pride of amazing Lionesses with babies walked right around us ... It was one of these
'If I die now I will die Happy' moments that I can even smell when I think of it ... :k

Perfect! The type of memory that really does make goosebumps for you, that must have just been an astonishing sighting :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:42 pm 

hilda wrote:
I can't remember how long it took, but it was quite a while. ............

This incident was all that was needed to be sure that I can have my "Kruger fix" at least twice a year from then on! Am I glad that I introduced him to Kruger! :dance: :dance:

Ah the wonderful time warps that occur - isn't is amazing how, when at home, it can be frustrating to be held at stop lights for even a couple of minutes, yet when in the Kruger we are happy to sit for hours and just accept any 'roadblocks'. I wonder how big that baby elephant would be now?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:46 pm 

Wild@Heart wrote:
I've had plenty golden memories :) But the last one was last year on April Fool's day .. none of my friends believed me but here is how the day went :)

All in all I have to say .. probably one of my most favourite Golden Memory Days in the park :)

Oh my word! What a fantastic sightings day :mrgreen: and so fortunate to have all the photos to gaze back over. You must have wondered when your luck would run out!

I never remember to take photos unfortunately, I just always get lost in the moment and then as the animals move away we finally remember we haven't taken any pictures...no hope for us!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:08 pm 

PietSkiet wrote:
I was about 10, can't remember exactly as this was many years ago, but we stayed at Satara. ...............

This all happened within about 2 hours one December morning many years ago and I will never forget it. As for my dad, he was not allowed to drive again, but he did show us the most remarkable morning one can ever hope for and I am so thankful for all the memories he gave us with the kombi, the family and Kruger.

Now you know this really does make me smile, you were 10 - and still the memory is bright and vivid - my daughter is 10 and she simply loves the park though sometimes I wondered when the memories of past visits will fade for her, I guess they are fixed :dance:
What a fantastic day though for you, and I do so love seeing just how magical it is for extended families spend time together in the great outdoors :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Nice thread Bettyspaghetti :thumbs_up:. The golden Kruger memories of others are pleasant to read.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Grantmissy wrote:
Nice thread Bettyspaghetti . The golden Kruger memories of others are pleasant to read.

Indeed a very nice thread! Thank you for starting this Bettyspaghetti! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
What a lovely thread. Thank you Bettyspaghetti :gflower:

I really have enjoyed everyone's experience.

I have had many memorable moments, but the one that stands out the most was many years ago when doing a bush trail at Sand River bush camp.

We had spent the morning walking and the afternoon looking at the bomas at Skukuza. We were shown where animals were kept while waiting to leave for their new home and given a peek into the TB free buffalo breeding program.

I felt really privileged to experience the inner workings of conservation.

We finished the day with a sunset drive to Mathekenyane.

It was our last night and I was acutely aware of a deep nostalgia for something more authentic and natural. The thought of returning to the frenetic Gauteng pace held no appeal.

I went to sit on the large rock at Mathekenyane and watched the deepening darkness.

For a minute there was an absolute silence. It was as though the cross over from day to night had become a sacred space.

I do not think I have ever had a more profound sense of the oneness of all creation. The words of the ancient religions seemed to resonate... go in peace....

I left knowing that my life would never be the same again. There had been a profound shift in awareness. Many people speak of a sense of presence in the bush. his has followed me and colored all other moments.

Mystical moments can be strangely simple.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Meandering Mouse wrote:
It was our last night and I was acutely aware of a deep nostalgia for something more authentic and natural. The thought of returning to the frenetic Gauteng pace held no appeal.

So true MM :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:16 pm 

Meandering Mouse wrote:
I do not think I have ever had a more profound sense of the oneness of all creation. The words of the ancient religions seemed to resonate... go in peace....

I left knowing that my life would never be the same again. There had been a profound shift in awareness. Many people speak of a sense of presence in the bush. his has followed me and colored all other moments.

This really touched a nerve with me MM. We never came to ZA until the mid 90s, as even though my Mum was South African I was born and always lived in the UK. I wondered what all the fuss was about.
On our first visit I really felt I had "come home". It caught me out. We spent a week in the park during that holiday and I just felt so calm and that life had slowed to a bearable pace.
I always feel a physical yearning to be back and just love that way that it makes one feel so insignificant in the grand scheme - how you could remove the humans and the park would just carry on without us.
It is a lovely leveller :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
What a lovely thread. Thank you Bettyspaghetti :gflower:

:thumbs_up: MM

I find myself thinking more and more of the days when my 3 daughters were young. Dec 2013 being the 1st holiday without either of them was really a sad time for me...... My eldests 1st visit to the park was when she was 6 weeks old with many many more thereafter and I would like to share two "kiddie" golden moments that standout. My eldest daughter Tarryn Rae aged 5 at the time came running out of the bathroom at Skukuza very excited to see her name on the wall. Custorae this was the emblem for SANParks and still found in some bathrooms around the park. Every subsequent visit she would cover the custos and show people her name she would also go on to say it was a sign for her and that she was going to be a game ranger! Well now 23 yearslater she is living her dream in conservation. The 2nd was when Kelly was about 3 on a visit to KNP she exitedly called out there's an ook.......?????? It was an impala and putting 2 and 2 together her sister would always point animals out to her and say look. There was lots of laughter in the car that day as we realiased Kelly thought all the animals were ooks.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:40 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Awesome Mellory! :lol: Thanks for sharing! :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Each day spent in the Kruger is a Golden Memory Day to me. It is a celebration of life.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Each day that we are able to be in the park is a golden memory, our preparations start as soon as we make the booking, we start saving, then we start planning routes, then we start buying supplies, then we start packing and then the time finally arrives for us to leave the rushing/noisy/hostile/busy/hectic city (Johannesburg). Every day that we are privileged to be in the Kruger is a blessing, we do not holiday anywhere else, to us the Kruger is the best place in the whole world.......our world :roll: :gflower: :gflower:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

January 2012 during the floods - cannot remember the exact date but it's here somewhere in a TR.

Camping at Maroela next to the dry Timbavati - I thought I knew the Timbavati - dry and sandy; but there is water hidden underneath all that sand and the ellies know that.

It started to rain softly earlier in the afternoon bringing with it relief from the scorching sun and the midday heat. We almost had Maroela to ourselves and had a prime shady spot next to the fence. After supper we sat listening to the rain, laughing at our attempts to stay dry when walking to and from the ablutions. As per usual I had to force myself to go to bed - I can sit up all night just listening to the sounds of nature - add in the rain and it was even more difficult to call it a day.

Bladder woke me up as per usual at around four - it felt as if I had not slept at all. Now it was raining seriously and I found one of those bright yellow raincoats that we always tag along. I started walking up to the ablution block in the dark non the wiser of what is happening right in front of our campsite. Walked back and when I removed the hood of the raincoat I thought I heard something strange over and above the pouring rain. Kind of a swishing noise.

Found the Mag-light in the dark, switched it on and got a glimpse of a raging river just the other side of the fence. By then my wife was also awake and we just sat there in the dark. Every once in a while I would shine the torch to check the rising water level. Those next couple of hours waiting for the sun to rise were the longest of my life. Strange though it may seem we were obviously worried but I never felt any panic. I can't even remember who said it first, my wife or I:- "what a way to go".

We both were where we wanted to be.

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=59188

We survived to tell the story.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:shock: Avon Vosloo that must have been an experience as it is dark and a person do not know what will happen when the river burst though its banks :|. Indeed a Kruger memory that will stay with you and your wife.