SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Cost to visit KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And other SANParks as well, in fact.

Golfing buddy was telling me he goes for the experience at the private reserves bordering the KNP and feels that is more worth his while. We had a bit of an argument but anyway, I went to take a look.

Great Googly-Moogly!!! Have you seen what it cost there? So I asked this guy now what do you get there? And it turns out that there are some luxury comforts and so forth but really still not worth the bux as far as I am concerned.

So my point is this. We complain about things. I have been especially critical of a few things at KNP just of late. But at the cost we have a bargain staring us right in the face pretty much 365 days a year. Unless you insist on a bidet in the bathroom and a footbath after supper, things at KNP are quite definitely pretty OK. And a further look at the SANParks homepage, there is a list of reduced accommodation rates in KNP. My goodness people, it's for nothing!

So, I am actually pretty grateful that we have this. Will I carry on complaining about things? Ja, probably. Some things are still just plain weird.

Post subject: Re: Cost to visit KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Very well said, moobox! What people are prepared to pay for the luxury lodges adjoining KNP is horrifying. I've been to some in the past and, yes, you do get Cordon Bleu food, almost guaranteed sightings, fluffy towels, etc. - but not really worth the extra bucks.

People also complain about the conservation (daily) fees. I think they are very reasonable, considering what you get. My daughter has just been to a theme park in Durban - R185 per adult and R135 per child.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The private luxury game reserves will be more expensive. But I think they cater for those who are willing to pay for all the Bells and Whistles as you mentioned Moobox which are (fortunately) not found in the more traditional accommodation facilities in the Kruger Camps. Therefore the price differences.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I had the privilege to visit more than one of the adjacent private lodges - but everytime as a guest of private companies. And yes, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it every time. The luxuries are fantastic. But I can easily do without them. But Kruger offers much more value for money - especially if you are a camper. I can spend nearly three weeks in Kruger (camping) for the price of one night in one of the luxury lodges.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It has all been said before - but the so called conservation fees are a blatant tax on overseas visitors. Totally unjustified.

As for the accommodation - no one would accept some of the issues in a hotel charging the same price. Air con units that stop working during the night or so noisy they keep you awake. Sheets that are invariably too small for the beds. Insect netting on windows that is often damaged - though that is usually the fault of guests! Beds covered in bat droppings. And squirrels in the shower.

But there is always the excuse that the camps are in the middle of nowhere, so what do you expect!

Richard

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 pm 

Having just booked the accom in the park it is inexpensive and even similar to most parts of Sth East Asia
but I feel the conservation fee is rather high when you compare it to what it costs the local community.
For our 17 day visit that fee alone for the 2 of us is R8432.
I know you need these fees to run the park but to me it is to high.
As for staying in the private game parks not for me. Another friend who I travel a lot with generally does one holiday to this area and further north, he and his wife stay at private lodges etc and their two week stay
generally exceeds R400,000. I bet that our tour which will be far far cheaper will be more enjoyable.
Maybe I will have to open my own bottle of wine and chill my own beer so what!!!
I am there to see the wildlife and experience the area, not to get looked after and pampered.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:13 pm 

hi E-Orix
Why dont you purchse an internationl WILD CARD at R2610 to pay for your conservation fees which will be a big savings click on WILD CARD at the top of the page.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:17 pm 

IBmit wrote:
There are places in the same "luxury" bracket as KNP on the surrounds that offer similar accommodation, but in much better condition at lower prices. If KNP maintained their units a bit better it would be fine, but unfortunately this lacks.

Similar accommodation, perhaps, but we did the staying-outside-and-entering-as-day-visitors thing once, and vowed never to do that to ourselves again. Ever. Having to drive to and from the park in the dark, every day. Having queue to get in every morning. In summer, only being able to enter a full hour after the camp gates open. Not being able to pop back into the camp during the day, for whatever reason. It was exhausting and frustrating, to say the least.

I'm more than prepared to overlook a few cracked tiles, or some mismatched cutlery for the privilege of staying inside the park, as long as everything is clean. And the one and only time we've ever had cause to complain about the cleanliness of our unit, the problem was solved by talking to our designated cleaner, simply asking her to rectify the problem. It wasn't even necessary to approach management. :)

I also don't think it's fair to compare Kruger to other places that offer only what one can find inside a camp in Kruger. Those places don't have to maintain over 600km of road, picnic sites, hides, lookout points, gates, dams, water holes, etc. They don't employ an army of rangers and guides. They don't have Rhinos and Elephants to protect. And they don't subsidize the 17 non-profitable national parks. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes, Orix - think seriously about buying a Wild Card. It will work out much cheaper. It covers all the SANParks and some other parks in South Africa and lasts for one year.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:44 pm 

squirrel_asc wrote:
I also don't think it's fair to compare Kruger to other places that offer only what one can find inside a camp in Kruger. Those places don't have to maintain over 600km of road, picnic sites, hides, lookout points, gates, dams, water holes, etc. They don't employ an army of rangers and guides. They don't have Rhinos and Elephants to protect. And they don't subsidize the 17 non-profitable national parks. :wink:

This is what the conservation fee's are for, not the money spend on accommodation.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:06 pm 

I am all for fee's to run the Park but to charge two tourists R8432 for 17 days when two locals can do the same for approx. R1200 +_The difference is a bit much
I tried to get info on the Wild Card and got no where. No point in worrying about it now.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:08 pm 

I have just booked online via the wild card process, as I already have one of the new credit card type wild cards, it was straightforward.

If you have difficulty again, you can buy the wild card at the gate on first entry as long as you have your passports, you will receive a paper receipt which you can use at all national parks in SA.

I'm off in 8 days time. I have been in the private parks (Sabi Sands and Timbavati) as well and thoroughly enjoyed them, going offroad is very exciting.

This time I'll be a day visitor for 10 days and I also am trying Jock Safari lodge for 3 nights.

This will be my 8th trip in 7 yrs and even though the foreign visitor is fleeced more than the locals, its still worth every penny in my opinion.

A;though the wild card is valid for a yr, it's unlikely that foreign visitor can afford to make full use. I do however always plan to do the 2nd trip after buying a wild card before it expires so I get 2 visits for the price of one wild card.

Bill

Next visit Jan 15th 2014 13 Days

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Agreed that SANParks is very affordable. As an example, I'm looking to book travel to Banf and Jasper National Parks in Canada, and holy smokes! Give me a nice little tent in Tamboti any day. :thumbs_up:

While we spend a majority of our time in KNP, both trips we've taken to SA have included a stay at a place outside of KNP. While in a private reserve, it was ranked 3 stars by TripAdvisor but we certainly got 5 star treatment. (It is a bit amusing to see the same animals as Elton John's favorite private lodge and realize that I'm paying 20% of what the elite pay) Even then, while we spent 805 of our time in KNP, our accommodation spend was 50% KNP, 50% private reserve. I want a better bang for our buck.

If we go to KNP on our next trop (probably to celebrate our 25th anniversary) we are looking at spending more time and money in KNP. Granted KTP and Botswana are both strong draws, so we'll have to see. If we do KNP again, bush camps and the like are on par with what we spent with our friends in the private lodge. Heck, renting out all of Roodewal for a few nights with our SA friends was a high point of our last trip and once you split up the cost, it was affordable.

KNP and SANParks still provide good value when compared to other options. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:08 pm 

hi Orix
You can just buy the wildcard at the gate reception when you enter KNP (or another Sanpark, we bought it at Golden Gate).
Pay cash, creditcard, whatever.

They fill in a computer form with your personal data and you get a printed copy which is all you need to show for any consecutive entries.
So you actually pay no more than about 10 days conservation fee and if you return within the year all following stays in Sanparks are also paid for. Iow the wildcard is a bargain : )

True that locals pay much less than us foreigners but consider that our budget is probably higher, we have money to spend -if not we would not even reach SA, wouldnt we- and it all being National Parks locals also contribute through taxes.
We actually met -too- many South African peplpe that cannot afford visits to their own NP!

I am sure that after this trip you will consider the money very well spent, have fun!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next