Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: VHF Radios in the park
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:46 am 

Hey Guys!

Do any of you have have licensed VHF radios that you use in the park? If so, what frequencies are you guys licensed to? Seen a couple guys in the park, but couldn't make contact!

Secondly, is there a frequency that is used by the park and public? I'm just thinking that it can be used to report immediate serious offences (poaching) and emergencies if need be..

Thanks and keep lovin it!
:D

Post subject: Re: VHF Radios in the park
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi. You do not say if you are local or not but that is not too relevant. To have a radio (VHF or any other range) the output power must be very low to not require a license.

If you have seen cars with obvious aerials the chances are they are Radio Amateurs (commonly called Radio Hams) and they will be licensed. They often display their call sign on a sticker on the rear of the car. I think that they also keep their radios on certain frequencies which are accepted as calling frequencies. Once contact is made they will change to another channel by mutual agreement much like CB Radios were in the late 70's.

Small UHF radios are available with low power and a range in KNP of about 1 Km due to the trees, etc. On open ground you could get as much as 5 Km. This requires the other car to have a similar radio as happens when traveling with friends.

As to a frequency for contacting Sanparks personnel you would have to ask them as I am sure they do not want their frequency bands known to others. There is an emergency telephone number printed on the entrance permit for reporting emergencies.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:35 am 

Hi there!

Very much a local!

As for the actual frequencies, most of the guys are part of a group and licensed to either:
http://www.orra.co.za/vhf.html
http://landcruiserclub.co.za/
etc, etc
..not being a HAM, and only licensed to curtain frequencies, I have limited choice as to 'tune' my radio to make contact!

Was just wondering if there is a dominant club or group and what license is required for their frequency..
Thanks

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:49 am 

gotaloveit wrote:
Was just wondering if there is a dominant club or group and what license is required for their frequency..Thanks

Not one that I know of from my side.
Would one of the clubs not know?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
My leetle son is a Radio ham since High school . and he found the exams easy peasy and once you have it you can tune in to almost anything if you have the right radio He could listen in to the planes going over head and even hear the chaps talking on the Space shuttle . In Kruger he managed to pick up the normal radio channel broadcasting the cricket ..!!! They could also pick up signals from way off countries .. He has had years of enjoyment . I wonder if there are a bunch of Hams in the KNP

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

on the odd occasion when visiting with a group of friends I bring 'public band' radios to keep in contact. Great up to a couple of miles. These are legal in Europe though I must confess to not knowing their status in SA. Never heard much else on them though.

I really miss the old days when receptions at the camps kept in touch via short wave radio - you really felt you were away from civilisation then!

Richard