Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best road to Phabeni Gate
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Traveled to Paul Kruger gate via Phabeni last month. We did the N4 then took the R539 , R37, R532 to Sabie and then the R536 to Hazyview, and then to Phabeni. Roads were in perfect nick and it is a quite scenic route, I definitely recommend it as an alternative.

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:58 am 

Just back from a brief trip to Kruger (spur-of-the-moment thing), and I drove some routes to and from Kruger that I had previously done (and recommended). However, six months appears to be a long time in the case of road conditions!

In this case I drove to Pretoria from Orpen, and did what I would normally do: Towards Klaserie-Hoedspruit road-Ohrigstad-Lydenburg-Dullstroom-Belfast-N4. I must admit that it will a long time before I attempt that route again! Quite frankly, the roads are quite good for large portions, but unfortunately the 25 km sections either side of Lydenburg are now getting dangerous. A large proportion of the potholes on these sections (in many cases all across the road) are now of the journey-ending variety. In moderate to heavy traffic (trucks!) it is virtually impossible to miss some of these potholes (other than coming to a complete stop and waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear so that you may use the oncoming traffic lane). I would guess that the safe speed for that 50 km section would be about 40 - 50 km/h.

In the future I will gladly take the pedestrian traffic/taxis/cattle (plenty of that on the other route as well) on the R40!

Anyhow, I wonder if a topic "Roads to Kruger Updates" or something similar might be appropriate? Then people that want to report changes/challenges/etc can do so (rather than this topic which deals with general questions as well as road condition discussions).

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:38 am 

We will be heading down to Lower Sabie from Gauteng in a little bit more than a week from now :dance:
, what is the current roadworks like? Heard that they are also working on the Schoemans Kloof? Plan A is to just stick on the highway through Schoemans Kloof up to Komatipoort or Plan B would be to head up from Nelspruit through Phabeni and then on to Lower Sabie. :doh:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Schoemanskloof road works aren't much of issue, there is currently only one stop and go with a minor delay. Unfortunately the Stop and Goes between Nelspruit and Malelane can cause rather long delays if you hit them at the wrong time. I would enter via Phabeni.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I agree with spargish, we were held up for over an hour at the stop go's between Nelspruit and Malelane

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:20 pm 

Would one avoid the stop and goes between nelspruit and malelane if you detour on the R38, going from PTA to malelane? Over the entire trip, its only 30km or so longer and on google maps the roads seems descent.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:06 pm 

Hi Guys
Just a quick question.
We will be traveling from Johannesburg to Kruger via Nelspruit in December. After reading about the road works I would like some advice on the following.
Seeing as we are going to Berg-en-Dal, would it be best to sit it out at the road works and then go in at Malelane or should we rather leave here earlier and enter at Pambeni? Either way we would like to do brunch at Afsaal before checking in at Berg-en-Dal.
:thanx:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi RemiE

I had conformation from the TRACN4 guys yesterday that the stop and goes between Nelspruit and Malelane in Crocodile gorge will be removed between December 13 and January 5th. One lane will be open for each direction as it was before the road works

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:08 pm 

:dance: Thank you so much for that information spargish :dance:
Definitely good to know this

Post subject: Re: Driving from JHB International to Kruger - Directions
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I haven't done the route in a very long time so would like some advice on the best route from the Vaal Triangle to Phalaborwa.

I used to go via Polokwane. Should we rather go via Orighstad?

Post subject: Re: Driving from JHB International to Kruger - Directions
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi GP

I would rather go via Polokwane. The N1 has been upgraded in several areas and is an easy drive. You will have toll booths north of Pretoria and the new e-tolls around Jhb, but I think it is still a better road. You can get on the N1 near Vanderbijlpark and just stay on it. There have been roadworks between Polokwane and Tzaneen, but I don't know the current status - maybe someone else can help.

If you go via Ohrigstad you will still go N1 from Vanderbijlpark and turn onto the N4 at Pretoria. The N4 is also tolled. The N4 itself is a pretty good road. But after you turn off at Belfast to go through Dullstroom, Lydenburg and Ohrigstad the road has many potholes, speed limits, bends and slow traffic. It is scenic in places but, if you want to get from A to B as easily as possible, I would go on the N1.

Good luck with your planning and have a great trip.

Post subject: Roadworks - Schoemanskloof
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:27 pm 

Hi Mites, can anyone please tell me if there are still roadworks on Schoemanskloof as it's been a while since I've gone that way. Appreciate any feedback.

Horrace

Post subject: Re: Roadworks - Schoemanskloof
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:04 am 

We drove between Polokwane and Tzaneen over the previous weekend. Driving was a pleasure. :lol:

The road works seems completed, including markings. The only thing is that the notice boards at Haenertsburg proposed the alternative route, which was outdated and unnecessary.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:14 pm 

Just an update on Schoemanskloof. Travelled the road on the weekend. While the road is good, as mentioned earlier there are no lines for many, many km. This means the speed limit has been reduced to 80km an hour. For those who enjoyed stoping at Joubert & Sons - the road stall is also currently closed (probably because it is not citrus season).

Horrace

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:43 am 

Hi All

We're going to be leaving to Tsendze early tomorrow. The plan is to leave Hartbeespoort @ 02h00, travel towards Polokwane and then take the R71 towards Tzaneen and then on towards Phalaborwa. I have never travelled this route and while it looks straight orward on a map and in theory, I have learned the hard way that roads on a map aren't always what you get in reality so just some questions to those who have done the route.

1) Is this the quickest route to Tsendze? It does look like it on the map to me and I anticipate about 5 hours? :hmz:
2) What are the road conditions like and is the signage to the correct turns visible (I dont have gps, haha)
3) I see on my map that once on the R71 just past Haenertsburg there is the R528 that goes to Tzaneen as well. Would it be advisable to continue R71 at this point or take the turn?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Can't wait to leave :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next