Skip to Content

New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Kwela

Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.

Unread postby Kwela » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:17 pm

Allowing these franchise restaurants in was the best thing that ever happened to Kruger.On our last trip to Kruger in December it was fantastic to be able to get a good meal at most camps I do believe that there was some teething problems with slow service but saying that the food was good.I had never seen so many people eating at Lower Sabie as in December.Now lets hope they do something about the accommodation say hand it over to one or two of the hotel groups :mrgreen:

Bush_baby

Skukuza and Lower Sabie Restaurants

Unread postby Bush_baby » Sun May 24, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi there...

not sure if this is the right place for this topic or how in detail it has been discussed on a different thread but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the Cattle Baron at Skukuza (and any other restaurant there) and the Mugg n Bean at Lower sabie and perhaps an idea of menu prices? I am going in June and would like to go at least one night out of the three at each camp to the restaurants and ofcourse the rest with a traditional Kruger braai :)

Thank you!
15 days to go!!!!!!

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza and Lower Sabie Restaurants

Unread postby Hippotragus » Sun May 24, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi Bush_baby. I have just looked at the menus for both Cattle Baron and Mugg and Bean by Googling them. When looking for the Cattle Baron at Skukuza it is a "Grill and Bistro".

We have had super meals at the Cattle Baron and at other branches of Mugg and Bean in Kruger (Letaba and Olifants camps). The menus at both are the same as those at their other branches countrywide.

I suggest you Google them and see the menus.

I don't know what the takeaway store prices are like, but I did hear that they were a bit steep - maybe someone else can comment.
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

molpol40

Unread postby molpol40 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:06 pm

Hi bush_baby, we have just come back from 3 wonderful weeks in kruger. we had dinner on 3 separate occasions in the cattle baron and i can recommend the rack of ribs, chicken parmesan and prawns and rib combo. I have to say that the deserts were disappointing, but other than that the food was really good and the service a big improvement on the old camp restaurant. My daughter and her family tried the buffet breakfast for R79 and thoroughly enjoyed it. If i had any complaints it would be about the take-away section - it is absolutely chaotic!! but the food and prices are really good. A really nice change from the braai and easy on the pocket, enjoy x
we also tried the various mugg and bean restaurants in olifonts, satara and letaba. The best service, quality of food etc was in the olifonts restaurant, it was really superb. Letaba was awful, my husband found bits of plastic from the milk carton in his lime milkshake, when he showed the manager she couldn't care less, no apology, no offer of another milkshake, no refund - just appalling. But as my kids are fond of saying "TIA" - this is africa!!

Bush_baby

Unread postby Bush_baby » Mon May 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi all,

Thank you all for your replies.

I have been to the Mugg and bean and cattle baron in other areas not in Kruger but was hoping they would have 'special' dishes being in Kruger....either way sure we will thoroughly enjoy every minute of it :D

kOa_Master

General Compliment On The Kruger Restaurants!

Unread postby kOa_Master » Fri May 29, 2015 8:56 am

Just being back from another trip to Kruger I for once have to make a compliment to all the restaurants & the service staff during our visits.
Compared to earlier visits, the new franchise concept did improve food & service quality a lot in my opinion. I never ate out that good in the Kruger restaurants before (2001, 2008, also partly 2014).
We didn't have the equipment to self-cater (or wanted to) for once and therefore enjoyed every meal in the several restaurants. No regret there at all, it was great, reasonable priced for a park restaurant and even the breakfast & cappuccino was very tasty.
During all of our last visits, we mostly self-catered before and only occasionally used the restaurants (being lazy or just to try it out) and it was more often than not a disappointment.

So again: Congratulations and thank you a lot for adding another joy visiting Kruger.

(We visited Satara, Skukuza, Lower Sabie and Berg-En-Dal between May 15-24th)
Last edited by kOa_Master on Fri May 29, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: General Compliment On The Kruger Restaurants!

Unread postby Hippotragus » Fri May 29, 2015 11:41 am

Thank you kOa_Master. I, and I think many others, agree with you - the new restaurant franchises are a great improvement. I think there were some initial teething problems because the staff still needed a bit of training. We have had a few meals in the new restaurants and were very happy with the service, the food and the prices.
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

Birderalf

Unread postby Birderalf » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:02 am

I hope I'm on the right topic - please redirect me if I'm not - but is there a single source of information that details the catering facilities available at each of the Kruger camps as well as the picnic spots?

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:20 am

Cattle Baron at Skukuza
Mugg & Bean at Lower Sabie, Satara (also Debonairs Pizza) Olifants, Letaba.
Wimpy at Pretoriuskop
Tindlovu at Berg & Dal, Shingwedzi and Mopani
Tshokwane Picnic site has limited food for take away or sit down outside.
Afsaal also limited now.
Nkulu also limited.
but they and all the others hire out skottles(plough disc) and gas bottles to cook own food on.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Birderalf

Unread postby Birderalf » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks Elsa.

I couldn't find much information about facilities at individual camps on the SANParks site itself, which is surprising.

Is there catering at Punda Maria?

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:53 pm

Sorry forgot to add Tindlovu is also at Punda Maria. :thumbs_up:

Have a look Here for more on the Restaurants, otherwise this topic has lots of info and advice.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Birderalf

Unread postby Birderalf » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Great Elsa, again!

The link was just what I was looking for, but clearly in the wrong place.

:thumbs_up:

Return to “Kruger National Park”